AppleTV X - I am playing with something new

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
The new Apple TV is fanless, so less vibration?

The fan never spins on the current ATV unless you do gaming. I tried one time to get it to spin and the only way i could do it was to run specific games. I suppose it will spin if its in a really hot environment tho.

Its a amazingly quiet fan BTW.

Actually, the main issue with the fan would be it would create electrical noise while running. BUT, it never runs.

Reactions: TommyC

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
How long would you say it takes the power supply or internal caps to stabilize after a power failure?
With the Taiko Extreme, for example, it’s 3-5 days before it sounds its best…

Hmm... I cant say I have tested this. Your talking about thermal equilibrium. It might take a bit to reach that as there is a big chunk of metal. Hmm... hours to a day I would think. Now is this visible or audible, that is a good question. I have not looked.

Most of the image quality issues are from the streaming connection. If for some reason the connection is junky, the apps will reduce the resolution until the problem clears up. This has bothered me before. i am watching something and its stunning and suddenly, Ewuuuuu WTH.. It will clear up, but its annoying.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Mblu

Feb 17, 2021
I am not a videophile but love great images and loved classic movies (now “forced“ to watch Netflix or Prime).
I recently replaced a panasonic plasma, that had great colors, by an oled 77 inches LG tv. Definition with 4k movies is amazing, but the “over-fluidity” looks like high quality “over-realistc” documentary and not like cinema as I was used to watch in good theatres.
So pls forgive my naive question: what is fo you a great image ? Super natural and impressive whatever the content, or very cinema-like even for 4k netflix series ? Thx

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Are you talking about the ATVX or just the switch from your plasma to the new LG?

You may be referring to motion interpolation artifacts. Your new LG is probably 120Hz. When you watch 24Hz movies, it has to add frames and convert to 120. That's when you get the "soap opera" effect. Experiment with different moves, if LG offers them.

Mblu

Feb 17, 2021
Indeed the LG !
Usually I remove the artificial interpolation, but seems I can’t. So I was starting to ask myself, is the soap opera look the new standard ?
If the ATVX enables a true cinema look, I am very interested.
many thanks

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Indeed the LG !
Usually I remove the artificial interpolation, but seems I can’t. So I was starting to ask myself, is the soap opera look the new standard ?
many thanks
Chris will give the best answer. I don’t think the ATVX changes this at all. It ”simply” improves the image and audio quality. Image improvements include better sharpness, contrast, and color saturation. It won’t affect motion interpolation at all.
ATVX will remove the artifacts associated with streaming, making it look more like — or better than — disc based content.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Indeed the LG !
many thanks
Hmmmm.... Frame interpolation going on in the TV is most likely the bad actor. You gotta battle the settings. I do not remember the setting name for this. It might be more then one on LG. The best thing to do is to google _ LG your model number best settings _ and usually someone has already has a guide up on how to do the settings.

The ATVX produces whatever the source is. Well.. As long as you have Settings > Video & Audio > Match Content > Match Frame Rate > On..

Then the ATVX will produce film based sources at 24 frames per second. If its in 24 from your app/source. Most is. Then its up to your TV what to do with it. All TVs today are preset to a HORRID looking "TV soap opera" mode which makes everything look horrendous. IMHO. Technically its frame interpolation. Just nasty..

Pretty much on all TVs I have seen so far, you have to go turn off just TONS of stupid junk that TV mfgrs put in. Its a battle to get it tamed down. TONS of guides online tho on how to do this.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Also LGs are terrible in that they change modes on the fly. So while watching on one app and during a movie, you might have it set right. But then a commercial comes on and a DIFFERENT set of settings come up on the TV. Different apps and source material trigger different modes on the LG. It will even going into Dolby Vision even tho you set the AppleTV to SDR and again, pick new sets of settings..

To tame it, you gotta get a set of best settings via google. Then while watching things check settings and make sure they are right. After you do this a few times you will get all the settings for all the modes it switches to all setup right.

There may also be a way to disable this auto made changing. But I think that would be in a service mode.

The other option is professional calibration. If you use a professional calibrator, the calibrator should talk to me before doing your calibration so we can make sure he lands it correctly as the ATVX is a lot higher quality then a normal ATV and requires a different focus and approach.

Mblu

Feb 17, 2021
Many thanks for your recommendations. I did find some well hidden parameters, but indeed the image mode is still a mystery. I had the tv calibrated (photography is my second hobby, colors of a great medium format digital back on a Nec calibrated monitor is something else, reds can look beautifully, almost like the unique reds of oil on wood from the 16th century, never surpassed since then).
I will further investigate and keep on following this thread, very attractive.
thx

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
Many thanks for your recommendations. I did find some well hidden parameters, but indeed the image mode is still a mystery. I had the tv calibrated (photography is my second hobby, colors of a great medium format digital back on a Nec calibrated monitor is something else, reds can look beautifully, almost like the unique reds of oil on wood from the 16th century, never surpassed since then).
I will further investigate and keep on following this thread, very attractive.
thx

Even I have trouble with LGs. On some settings I have to go google what they really are. Calibration guys also do a typical setup for most people unless directed specifically for some things.

Yes I am using a NEC PA271Q spectraview calibrated now on my computer to type this. NEC makes great computer monitors. I can't handle a normal computer monitor.

What I have found that is pretty consistent with all the installs of the ATVXs is on most displays the color level needs to be lowered. Like 10 points. On good quality sources/apps and with good material then the color is dead on,, but it appears most apps and a lot of material have pumped up the color. While this gets easily overlooked with a normal streaming device, the ATVX is super accurate with color and this intentional over saturation of color done by some idiot at a network, app, material by turning the color knob to 11 is obvious. So overall a lot of my cleints find dropping color intensity down some to kinda split the difference works out well.

It amazing how accurate color rendering is from the ATVX. The color of the color is just remarkable. Turner Classic Movies and some of their transfers are just remarkable. Technicolor was remarkable.

I have done 35 in homes. IMHO. Nothing quite like a good 35mm print on a 120" wide screen. There ain't no electronic medium that can do that. AND THEN there is 70mm... Digital has gotten pretty good, but, Baraka ( film ) in 70mm on a 120" wide screen using the right glass,,, NOTHING is even close.. NOTHING... Its at least 12K..

So as I was tweaking the ATVX, my 35/70 experience I think gave me the edge as these digital guys making gear today just dont know what a good picture is.. IMHO..

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
What footers have people used with the Apple TV X?
I was using Cardas Myrtle wood blocks for the PSU and 2 Taiko Daiza feet under the Apple TV, but I had to pull those for another application.
I’m thinking of Stillpoints Ultra Mini 3x under the PSU and 3x under the Apple TV. Any thoughts?

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
What footers have people used with the Apple TV X?
I was using Cardas Myrtle wood blocks for the PSU and 2 Taiko Daiza feet under the Apple TV, but I had to pull those for another application.
I’m thinking of Stillpoints Ultra Mini 3x under the PSU and 3x under the Apple TV. Any thoughts?
Howdy Zeotrope,

Sorry about not responding to your email sooner. I have been super busy after moving the lab and mfgr to a new place and also moving myself. Moving to a new state is annoying. Packing, unpacking, setting things up, special electrical work, lab setup... and still tons to do..

I don't know what footies are best under the ATVX and linear. My *guess* would be that dampening out/isolating all mechanical noise getting to the ATVX itself would be good. Most likely same thing for the linear. BUT. Of course each person will be a bit different because of all manner of things like what types of noise are present on the shelf its on for example. The noise can also transmit down the cables to rattle the ATVX.

I would have to A/B.

I did get a big order off to Bill at GTT and I think he might even have some inventory after filling back orders :)

I am quite happy with the new lab. I have lots of room and I was able to get really great power right at the bench. I used a NEMA L14-30 and wired it with 20 feet of 8ga solid right to the panel. Then used a really nice 8ga and made up a 4 wire flexible cable to a box I made up with great filtering / TVSS and used all hubble 20A sockets all wired up with 11ga each. I also have a 240V 20A hubble to QC and work on linears for Europe. So everything is rated to 50A including filtering but I breakered it down to 20A. Its like having things plugged directly into the breaker panel.

I also ran a insanity custom made run to my QC Evaul system for the lab. Again all 8ga. This system I use for audio and video AB while doing the work. Lots of highly modded high end gear.

I am gearing up to jump into some new projects for 2023.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I am not sure what the best footies are for it. I had Stillpoints handy and unused and so I used those. I am not sure yet what is best. Its so good the way it is, I just left it, hahaha.. I should play with more stuff like feet and cables.

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I have a B-Stock unit that needs a new home. It has a slightly dinged back corner on the leaner. Not visible from the front. Its in perfect shape otherwise and new.

So.. I will let it go for $1750 to the first person who PMs me. Free shipping and it can ship immd.

:)

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I am working up a post on the latest gen ATV. What garbarge. Its abhorrent. I will do a post here on what all I have measured and discovered about it. I was hoping maybe I could use it, but, no way, no matter what i do with it its a big step down in pic and sound quality no matter what mods I do.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I put 6x Stillpoints Ultra Mini under mine: 3x under the PSU and 3x under the ATV. Wow! Noticeable difference to picture and sound! I had rubber/cork 'sandwich' blocks before - complete garbage. The Stillpoints are not cheap, but they do make a noticeable difference!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing