Apple iWatch Coming April 2015

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I checked out all of the iwatches at the Apple store tonight. The lower priced models are very cool...the $15K version, this i really don't get??? A case that has maybe....maybe $150- worth of gold- and the same exact functionality and innards as the $349- model! WOW, you have to be one crazy crazy HIGH ROLLER to buy the Edition model ( which starts at a paltry $10K!!)...IMHO.

Frank is here

Nov 13, 2013
I have received my Apple Watch Rose Gold 40 [out of Singapore]and am extremely happy......hoping to get a matching gold bracelet if and when it becomes available otherwise a non genuine [when available].....

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
my son just got one of these last night, and was walking around today using it. he left his Rolex I gave him at home this morning.

he is an I.T. guy and major techie, so for him it just fits into how he does things. he calls with it and uses the map when he's on his bike, his phone stays in his back pocket. he has all his phone apps now on the watch. pretty cool I guess.

but it's not for me.

I am same as you Mike,
I just cannot see why one would buy this if using a smart phone such as latest iPhone or Samsung.
Apple are being very business savvy, they are convincing the same people to buy their smart phone, smart watch, and tablets, where functionality overlaps on all (putting aside the smart watch health monitoring) and two of those are truly mobile.

Cheers
Orb

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
People will buy things they think they need. Apple will sell millions of this watch. I will wait. Don't see what the fuss is all about and what more information I need from a watch. We'll see if this idea of a smartwatch will really soar ... I have my doubts.

As for the 15 K version. I fail to see the rationale for it ... Then again I own of a few luxury watches and they do nothing more than tell the time and that, not as accurately as a $20 Quartz Casio ...:p

The problem is sustainability IMO. The case of the Apple$15K watch looking and doing the exact same thing as the $350 (or so) model is not to me the best recipe for projecting exclusivity a requirement I would think of luxury items.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The ultra expensive smart watches can be seen as another canny move by Apple, if it succeeds then Apple are not only a highly visible tech company but also associated with premier luxury watch prestige.
No amount of marketing would ever buy them that on its own, and those top end models could be their enabler to attain such a perception of high demand/quality-luxury prestige.

I was doubtful they could do it, but looks like they may succeed, challenge is sustaining that image.
Cheers
Orb

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The ultra expensive smart watches can be seen as another canny move by Apple, if it succeeds then Apple are not only a highly visible tech company but also associated with premier luxury watch prestige.

an electronic watch will never have the prestige of fine mechanical automatic swiss watches.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No amount of marketing would ever buy them that on its own, and those top end models could be their enabler to attain such a perception of high demand/quality-luxury prestige.

I was doubtful they could do it, but looks like they may succeed, challenge is sustaining that image.
Cheers
Orb

Adding bling on its own does not vault you into premier luxury watch/car/audio/insert product here category, as underneath it's still the same product.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
an electronic watch will never have the prestige of fine mechanical automatic swiss watches.

That was my first thought as well, but it seems Apple's expensive models are selling well for some reason, and prestige perception they are looking for is not quite the same as those who collect the very top watches.
If they can convince the general wealthy-luxury consumers to leave behind their Rolex/etc for a smart "luxury" level iWatch "equivalent" then it is working, and the benefit is also to the brand name of Apple.
As I said whether this prestige perception can be pulled off needs to be seen, but surprisingly many are buying into the Apple watch and not just the cheaper entry models.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Adding bling on its own does not vault you into premier luxury watch/car/audio/insert product here category, as underneath it's still the same product.

Again we are talking about perceived prestige they are taking to a global consumer market, that then spreads to a more broad Apple brand.
Personally I would prefer a Rolex + smart phone, but there are those such as Mike's son who forgo their swiss made watch and wear Apple now (well lets see how long before he goes back to the Rolex :) ).
Mike let us know if he does switch back, will be interesting.

Cheers
Orb

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Again we are talking about perceived prestige they are taking to a global consumer market, that then spreads to a more broad Apple brand.
Personally I would prefer a Rolex + smart phone, but there are those such as Mike's son who forgo their swiss made watch and wear Apple now (well lets see how long before he goes back to the Rolex :) ).
Mike let us know if he does switch back, will be interesting.

Cheers
Orb

he has the Apple on again this morning.

I see that the young ladies here seem to be impressed with it.

we all have our priorities.:)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
he has the Apple on again this morning.

I see that the young ladies here seem to be impressed with it.

we all have our priorities.:)

Maybe I should get one after all. The old broads know me and are no longer overly impressed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We pay the price when we get way ahead of technology capabilities. We are years away from having battery and processor technologies to take away sufficient number of compromises to make this a real thing.

In my opinion, Apple was bullied into making a watch. It is indeed something I firmly believe Jobs would have vetoed. Cook doesn't have his credibility with the Apple team to do the same even if he had the same insights.

We should also be prepared for nothing big coming out of Apple anymore. Not because Jobs is gone. But because revolutions like iPod and iPhone are not everyday occurrences. We have them once every decade or two. Or even more (witness how old the Internet is). Apple has done all that a company should be expected to do. Microsoft did it with Windows and Office. Google did it with search and Android. And Apple has its two things. I don't know that there is an example of a company having more than this many under its belt. I know Microsoft has tried and died with Xbox, Search, etc (although it has had half successes in such things as Server OS, and even Xbox).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Give it a year and most of the people who bought this will relegate them into a drawer. It's a toy.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Give it a year and most of the people who bought this will relegate them into a drawer. It's a toy.
That is exactly what I did with the Microsoft SPOT watch. The new watches are worlds ahead but still have the same serious problem: needing to be charged all the time.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
They need to come out with a 72" OLED TV that can also be a giant iPad, and I can control it with my iPhone.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

This was discussed and predicted earlier in the thread. None of this is surprising. Well, the steep 90% drop is kind of surprising.

Amir, I still use an Apple iMac flat screen desk top computer. It's great. And I always thought the Mac/Apple user interface is what the company is famous for. I'm no techie, but isn't Apple more than just the ipod and iphone?

Pitty those who spent big bucks on special finishes. At least all of those celebrities who had them before they were available didn't have to pay for them, or so I'm told.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
That is exactly what I did with the Microsoft SPOT watch. The new watches are worlds ahead but still have the same serious problem: needing to be charged all the time.

That's one of the main reasons I returned mine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing