Any Klipschorn owners here?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I'm kinda on a roll here buying some vintage McIntosh gear and other tube amps. I came across a set of AK5 K-horns locally and took the plunge.
I won't have them setup probably for 30+ days. I was wondering if there are any members that have had K-horns or still do.
I know they are not popular on WBF....but though I have some JBL's in my other system,these will be my first horns.

Attachments

• 159865248_10219964297322077_6634215147457656853_n (1).jpg
    159865248_10219964297322077_6634215147457656853_n (1).jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 158291346_10219964430685411_8257875144084749764_n (2).jpg
    158291346_10219964430685411_8257875144084749764_n (2).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 26

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I'm kinda on a roll here buying some vintage McIntosh gear and other tube amps. I came across a set of AK5 K-horns locally and took the plunge.
I won't have them setup probably for 30+ days. I was wondering if there are any members that have had K-horns or still do.
I know they are not popular on WBF....but though I have some JBL's in my other system,these will be my first horns.
I had Klipsch Forte II as my speakers during college/grad school and remember them fondly !!! Enjoy in good health

Reactions: RogerD

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
I have a pair of Klipschorns. They are at my mother's house now and she enjoys them. I don't have any fancy amplification for them, just a Sony receiver. They can play really loud! I'm sure you knew that. I enjoy them. They are not the last word in smooth, uncolored sound. They've got strange dispersion. They've got character. The bass response varies a lot depending on what kind of room they are in. I've tried bypassing their crossovers and running them active with DSP correction for time alignment and some EQ. It helps to tame them some but they still have their dispersion character and I decided it's not worth it. Might as well hear them with their native sound. They work great on some music. They cut through a noisy environment fantastically. In the right room they make some of the tightest, hardest hitting bass I've ever heard. When I first heard them at my friend's house years ago I got this impression of bass swirling around the room. It integrated with the imaging from the mid-horn so well I felt I could almost see bass. I've never got quite that kind of bass since I've owned them. That is probably part room acoustics and possibly amplification. My friend said he felt they needed some decent power for the bass, despite their rated efficiency. He had a large Luxman amp.

Reactions: Mikem53 and RogerD

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I've owned a few of them over the years and the right ones from the 60's in original condition are excellent!

Enjoy!

david

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
@ddk Aren't the Vitavoxs also modified K-horns? I was reading about them due to @PeterA's natural sound thread and saw someone claim that the bass cabinet was a Klipsch design.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
@ddk Aren't the Vitavoxs also modified K-horns? I was reading about them due to @PeterA's natural sound thread and saw someone claim that the bass cabinet was a Klipsch design.
Vitavox licensed the corner horn box technology from Klipsch but that's all that they have in common. Both companies had their own drivers and crossover design, cabinet construction and materials were also different. You'll never mistake the two visually and sonically when you hear them.

david

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thanks for the clarification David.

Reactions: RogerD and ddk

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I've owned a few of them over the years and the right ones from the 60's in original condition are excellent!

Enjoy!

david
Hi David,
I know the early versions used a much simpler crossover (type A) and different drivers....is that what you attribute your preference to the earlier version. Just wondering. Thanks
This is interesting.....

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I've heard Klipsch sound good numerous times. Sometimes it would be fair to update the crossover design on some of them, but not necessarily for audiophile parts.

Reactions: RogerD and ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,
I know the early versions used a much simpler crossover (type A) and different drivers....is that what you attribute your preference to the earlier version. Just wondering. Thanks
This is interesting.....
Hi Roger,
There were so many changes to the speaker continuously that it’s hard to know what update led to what in sound quality and Dr. Klipsch wasn’t known for running a tight ship when it came to production either. That’s why I also mentioned finding the right pair, they left the factory with all different parts and there were a lot of people and dealers offering their own upgrades and mods but overall the character of the sound remained more or less the same. In the 70’s they changed everything including the horns, introduced protection circuitry and new drivers to deal with all the shitty transistor electronics that suddenly pooped up everywhere at that time. Then came the environmental regulations forcing everyone to change production processes and materials including woods, glue, cables, metals, wiring, caps, etc. This is why there’s such a sudden change in speaker design and character of sound transitioning from the Golden Age to the 70’s. You’ll hear the same differences for Siemens, Vitavox, Tannoy, Altec, JBL, Goodmans, Lowther, etc., etc., etc. Many of these companies also transitioned and morphed into new ones lacking the vision and knowledge of original creators of these brands.

david

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have a pair of khorns and absolutely love them.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I finally have them hooked up in my Bedroom....rock on. I haven't heard a live pair in probably 50 years. Bright and horny...:D no way...smooth as a baby's butt. Dynamic? very much so. I love the immediacy and fullness. These must be very room dependent. Mine are 1989 WO AK-2's and very open and produce a wonderful wall of sound. A great midrange...female voice is wonderful. Highs have realism and very open. The bass is the best part...powerful and is a force that I love. Overall great clarity. I'm glad I took the plunge...if you have a room that these horns are designed for I can't think of a better used speaker value.
p.s. my corners are 16 feet a part and the room goes back about 20 feet.
right now powered by my Marantz 4400 with a Panasonic blue ray player. 20210627_154809.jpg

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I finally have them hooked up in my Bedroom....rock on. I haven't heard a live pair in probably 50 years. Bright and horny...:D no way...smooth as a baby's butt. Dynamic? very much so. I love the immediacy and fullness. These must be very room dependent. Mine are 1989 WO AK-2's and very open and produce a wonderful wall of sound. A great midrange...female voice is wonderful. Highs have realism and very open. The bass is the best part...powerful and is a force that I love. Overall great clarity. I'm glad I took the plunge...if you have a room that these horns are designed for I can't think of a better used speaker value.
p.s. my corners are 16 feet a part and the room goes back about 20 feet.
right now powered by my Marantz 4400 with a Panasonic blue ray player. View attachment 79565
Congratulations

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have a pair of Klipschorns. They are at my mother's house now and she enjoys them. I don't have any fancy amplification for them, just a Sony receiver. They can play really loud! I'm sure you knew that. I enjoy them. They are not the last word in smooth, uncolored sound. They've got strange dispersion. They've got character. The bass response varies a lot depending on what kind of room they are in. I've tried bypassing their crossovers and running them active with DSP correction for time alignment and some EQ. It helps to tame them some but they still have their dispersion character and I decided it's not worth it. Might as well hear them with their native sound. They work great on some music. They cut through a noisy environment fantastically. In the right room they make some of the tightest, hardest hitting bass I've ever heard. When I first heard them at my friend's house years ago I got this impression of bass swirling around the room. It integrated with the imaging from the mid-horn so well I felt I could almost see bass. I've never got quite that kind of bass since I've owned them. That is probably part room acoustics and possibly amplification. My friend said he felt they needed some decent power for the bass, despite their rated efficiency. He had a large Luxman amp.
Tim,
I think I'm beginning to understand about the bass. I started running these yesterday about 6, so I have about 24 hours on them. The speakers sat for about 4 years and I would guess they might improve maybe into tomorrow...kinda scary because it has started to engulf the room.
I can see why PWK has such a following. His corner folded horn design is "simple" genius.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hifi had a lot of 'simple genius' back in the day. Of course it was perhaps high-concept low-build but think about an era with k horns tannoys and quads as 'expensive' but still within reach :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing