Shindo Owners Past and Present - Cable Choices

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
I am assuming that there will be some past and present Shindo fans our there. Forgive me if this has been discussed before or is in the wrong forum.

I am quite enjoying my new Shindo Monbrison and Cortese 300b. Very musical and real as opposed to hifi, but we won't get into that .

My inquiry is about interconnects and speaker cabling. There is a mystique about this and the Auditorium A23 and/or the actual Shindo cables are highly recommended. Shindo owners are there other cables that you could recommend? Like Luna which seems to be aimed at the SET crowd.

No agenda here but I have just begun a demo on the Luna Amber speaker cables and well while my observations are preliminary I am impressed.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
As an ex-Shindo component owner --and past user of the Factory recommended and A23 cabling--it was adequate and conveyed the Shindo mantra as designed-- however I did find other branded wires appealed to my tastes more--so yes go ahead and experiment -your choice .

The crux of the factory specifying their products I feel is aligned to the their use of M/F Switchcraft connectors which terminate firmly and precisely if rather delicate and require careful handling.

Some others you may find not so convenient and fit as smoothly as the above combination.
Good Luck,

BruceD

Reactions: AudioHR

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
Agreed. There's a risk of damaging the rca sockets on Shindo gear if you use some of the more extreme plugs. I had a secondhand Monbrison where a couple of the input sockets had their centre contacts trashed through being forced.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
As an ex-Shindo component owner --and past user of the Factory recommended and A23 cabling--it was adequate and conveyed the Shindo mantra as designed-- however I did find other branded wires appealed to my tastes more--so yes go ahead and experiment -your choice .

The crux of the factory specifying their products I feel is aligned to the their use of M/F Switchcraft connectors which terminate firmly and precisely if rather delicate and require careful handling.

Some others you may find not so convenient and fit as smoothly as the above combination.
Good Luck,

BruceD
Thanks Bruce! Yes I had heard that one must be careful with non Switchcraft cables. In fact if I believe there is a warning on the information provided.

Reactions: BruceD

c_ocobean1

Apr 4, 2023
@AudioHR New to Shindo. Been living with my Cortese F2a amp and Monbrison Pre for the last few months and been very pleased using Luna (Mauve) cables all around. I just ordered Luna Mauve speaker cables, but have not placed them into the system yet. I did use the Luna Gris cables for a bit and Belden 9497, which are very cheap and work quite well. Hope this helps some.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
@AudioHR New to Shindo. Been living with my Cortese F2a amp and Monbrison Pre for the last few months and been very pleased using Luna (Mauve) cables all around. I just ordered Luna Mauve speaker cables, but have not placed them into the system yet. I did use the Luna Gris cables for a bit and Belden 9497, which are very cheap and work quite well. Hope this helps some.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Actually I am rather new to the Shindo world too. I am quite enjoying it as for me it has a more musical and less hifi sound than what seems to be popular today.

There are many advocates for the Auditorium 23 cables with Shindo so I wanted to try it but it is hard to come by in Canada. Luna seemed to be an alternative as from all reports it is aimed at the tube friendly market and the designer was once a CDF tech. Coupe de Fronde is the go to Shindo dealer in Canada from what I can gather.

Just recently a dealer offered me a chance to audition/break in a new pair of Luna Mauve speaker cables so I was interested to see how they would sound compared to my ageing Wireworld speaker cables. Now I am in the cables/ interconnects can make a positive difference camp but I was really not expecting a huge difference as the devil is in the details in this hobby.

So I put them in knowing that they likely needed some break in time. You know whenever I use this term the skeptic voice in my head laughs but my experience tell me it's a real thing! I liked the old school construction of the cable and while I didn't know what they would cost I figured the cable maker was serious about his craft. Actually they sounded nice, right away! In fact I found myself just enjoying the music rather than auditioning the cable.

After a few weeks of listening what do I think. Usually at this point I would reinstall my old component/ cables to compare but I didn't do that in this case, I just bought them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
A Shindo dealer near me suggested that replacing switchcraft posts be performed every 10 years as routine maintenance. I try to just leave a dedicated Shindo or A23 IC in place indefinitely figuring that would obviate the need to perform such measures.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
A Shindo dealer near me suggested that replacing switchcraft posts be performed every 10 years as routine maintenance. I try to just leave a dedicated Shindo or A23 IC in place indefinitely figuring that would obviate the need to perform such measures.
I would think that if you are not constantly changing connections you will be as you expect just fine.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
A quick update on my experiences so far with speaker cables from my Shindo Cortese 300b to my Coherent Audio Neo 15 speakers.

I originally started with some older Wireworld Equinox . They were fine, very listenable.

As I had the chance to listen to the Luna Mauve I placed them into my system. These cables seemed to be aimed at the SET tube amp lover If not Shindo in particular. Even new they were a noticeable step up from the Wireworld , very musical presentation. I purchased them without hesitation!

The Auditorium A23 cables are often associated with Shindo. I wanted to try them but they seemed hard to come by. After I had acquired the Luna I was able to purchased a used pair from a trusted source. I can see why they are associated with Shindo they sound really good.

Are they better than the Luna Mauve? When I first put the A23 in I found myself just listening to the music, in fact it was one of those nights where you could listen forever. I wasn't really fixated on comparing cables I was just enjoying every thing I played. This is a good thing!

Still I had really enjoyed the Luna so I haven't made any final decisions. They could probably use a little more seasoning so I plan to take my time. I don't need two sets of speaker wires but it isn't a hardship to listen to either of these. We will see, lol

Last edited:

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022
Shindo sound best with Shindo

Siltech and Stealth Audio silver cables are good option

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
Shindo sound best with Shindo

Siltech and Stealth Audio silver cables are good option
Yes Shindo with Shindo makes good sense! Although not a given.

So far in my listening I would say speaker cable wise that the Auditorium A23 and the Luna Mauve work very well. The Mauve is already a fairly pricy cable for the audiophile public, the Red I believe is their top model, perhaps it is even better . In this forum perhaps price is not an issue! So what's best. Lol

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Going from A23 SC to Shindo SC was a bigger improvement for me than going from A23 IC to Shindo IC.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
Going from A23 SC to Shindo SC was a bigger improvement for me than going from A23 IC to Shindo IC.
Thank you that is an excellent observation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing