Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

• None, have reached analog nirvana!

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Arm

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Phono cable

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Phono section

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • New base/stand

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Speed control

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Platter, clamp, motor, plinth, etc.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Set-up Tools

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now you know why I play digital when I'm drinking! LOL!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi John,

I have some wands without any finger lifts. All I do is use the arm lift. To cue I keep the arm lift up and just gently slide the arm inwards and over the section I want to listen to then lower the arm lift slowly. To remove, I just up the lift and slide towards the locking mechanism. It takes a little bit of getting used and by little I do mean little. You should get the hang of it by at least the 5th try. 2 to 3 is more like it.

Enjoy the new deck! :D

John, I don't have a finger lift either on my SME V-12 arm. I decided not to install it on the headshell. Just one more thing that can potentially vibrate near the cartridge. Like Jack, I just move the arm over with my fingers picking up the headshell and then lower the cartridge on the LP with the arm lift mechanism.

IMG_0582.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It sounds like it's easy enough to get used to. Thanks guys! :D

I haven't decided yet on a table, but this is one I'm considering. The other is a VPI Prime. I really wanted the Roksan Xerxes 20plus, but it's considerably above my budget as a new table.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've made a decision on my next turntable. Cartridge decision is 95% decided.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I picked up the EAT (European Audio Team) E-Flat late last year. What a superb table this is and a huge step up from the Michell TecnoDec/Arm that I had used for the last 5 years.

AR7.jpg

The flat arm being made of carbon fiber is extraordinarily rigid and seems to be completely resonant free. I have never owned a Uni-Pivot arm before, but this one seems extremely stable and well behaved. Much more natural in application than some of the VPI arms I've seen. The build quality of the table is outstanding. Precision engineered all the way around. I'm using the same Denon DL-304 that I had on the TecnoArm, so I get a very good sense of how different both tables really sound and perform.

My table came with serial number 131. Nice to finally own a great turntable that is not in the "mass produced" category. Couldn't be happier right about now. :p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I picked up the EAT (European Audio Team) E-Flat late last year. What a superb table this is and a huge step up from the Michell TecnoDec/Arm that I had used for the last 5 years.

View attachment 18519

The flat arm being made of carbon fiber is extraordinarily rigid and seems to be completely resonant free. I have never owned a Uni-Pivot arm before, but this one seems extremely stable and well behaved. Much more natural in application than some of the VPI arms I've seen. The build quality of the table is outstanding. Precision engineered all the way around. I'm using the same Denon DL-304 that I had on the TecnoArm, so I get a very good sense of how different both tables really sound and perform.

My table came with serial number 131. Nice to finally own a great turntable that is not in the "mass produced" category. Couldn't be happier right about now. :p

I'm really happy for you Fred! I love the look of that tonearm...it's so different and unconventional looking. Is there a tube underneath to hold the wiring?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just acquired a second hand Kuzma 4-Point and placed an order for a rear mount board for my AF1. Question now is, which cart do I mount on it? :D Decisions, decisions!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
There is a new AirTight PC-1 Opus Magnum. I have not heard much about it yet other than the $15,000 price.

I saw that...ouch on the price...I wonder how good it'll be...your airtight supreme is outstanding !

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I'm really happy for you Fred! I love the look of that tonearm...it's so different and unconventional looking. Is there a tube underneath to hold the wiring?

No John, no tube. The wiring is attached to the underside of the arm with some kind of black matting that is adhered to the underside. I really don't know what that part is made of.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There is a new AirTight PC-1 Opus Magnum. I have not heard much about it yet other than the $15,000 price.

I'm slammin' on the cart brakes for now :) I'm good with the Ti, GFS and Atlas on the 3 Elite wands.

I can't seem to decide on which cart will go on the Kuzy. XV-1t? Koetsu Jade Platinum? I'm confused!

I'll be keeping a Phantom 2 and Tri 7 U2 on my TW and using that in another system. The Proteus and either the XV-1t or Jade will go with that table. An Ultra Eminent and A90 on standby Phantom II wands. I really like the Koetsu/Triplanar combo so that will be more likely.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I am relatively analog ignorant and am sure that my predilection for direct drive is irrational, and unlike other a/v componentry leanings I have, is absolutely undertested experientially.

So I pre-ordered a Technics 1200GLE and can't wait for delivery.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That would be the GAE my friend and from what I've seen the goodies are in the innards. Still a huge jump from the M5G price wise to the GAE. HUGE! On paper however a core less DD motor? That is definitely something.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
That would be the GAE my friend and from what I've seen the goodies are in the innards. Still a huge jump from the M5G price wise to the GAE. HUGE! On paper however a core less DD motor? That is definitely something.

Don't even get her name right :)

Looks like a remaster of the innards and motor. Special edition gets a magnesium arm vs aluminum for the stock version that will follow

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The new platter looks very interesting too. The platter was always a rather weak point of the 1200s. They rang like bells. This new one looks much more solid. I would love to get a chance to A/B the 5G with the GAE. I have identical carts for them. I also like that the IC is no longer captive. That was also something that was a problem. They had a tendency of getting yanked and you'd have to open her up to fix her.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The new platter looks very interesting too. The platter was always a rather weak point of the 1200s. They rang like bells. This new one looks much more solid. I would love to get a chance to A/B the 5G with the GAE. I have identical carts for them. I also like that the IC is no longer captive. That was also something that was a problem. They had a tendency of getting yanked and you'd have to open her up to fix her.

Matsushita certainly has the engineering horsepower and materials expertise to build something great, and it looks as they they committed in that direction here.

Rick_S22

Oct 20, 2017
Lebanon, Oregon
My Luxman PD-375 (Direct Drive with Vacuum hold down) just died. I am looking for a modest cost replacement, either new or used. Belt or Direct Drive, Lift Off lever, or automatic. looking, lol!

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Hi,

I'm new here. I have my old TECHNICS SL-1210 MKII, 33 year's old now ! Always run - any problem.
The cartrige are Ortofon X1-MC(sold), Ortofon X3-MC(sold), Shure V15 type V MR(sold), Audio-Technica AT-OC9ML(sold), and now Audio-Technica AT-ART 9.

I have a second turntable : VPI Classic 3 in rosewood with Audio-Technica AT-ART 9.

The two works fine but I have a tridimensional sound with the VPI...

I have an esoteric E-03 for the two.

Very happy with...

Better sound than my MArantz SA7S1 + Grimm CC1 + DAC Mark Levinson...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing