Another Apogee thread? You bet!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That Scintilla thread doesn't appear to be forthcoming, so here's a pic. I think its good enough to do them justice. On Townshend stands. Note the fatter bottom lip that makes them look a lot better I think. View attachment 67951
That's rather smart.
Big Gryphon on the floor?
And external xover box at rear?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That's rather smart.
Big Gryphon on the floor?
And external xover box at rear?

Yeah the Gryphon can supply the required 1.2Kw. Probably not many Scintillas ever really saw that much power I would guess.

It works well so I am told.

Yes to the external x-overs.

I think they look a little lop-sided as all the speakers are much heavier on the insides edges due to the magnet arrays for the mid and treble ribbons.

Looks mean, though;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, my issue has never been so much the need to hive off one's own power station. It's whether with all that power, these can come alive at low to moderate volumes. If the juice has to flow, and they only gel at "realistic" volumes, and sound insipid lower down, that would be a challenge.

Stuff like the bigger diamond tweeter/ceramics mids Kharmas/Talon Firebirds and ML Prodigies, that I once nearly considered buying, just don't fly lower down to my ears even with 500-1000W.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm not trying to sell you a pair, Marc. I think they are insane. Quite cool for it though:)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
1.2kW in the height of summer is deffo quite cool Lol.

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yeah you have to wonder how hot the amp runs. My class A Luxman might get hotter TBH but even that is nothing compared to my 211s - touch those with a clench for 1 second (and yours I suspect) - go to hospital!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, my serious accident with my 211s is well documented, and mocked here.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I probably should have bought this a long time ago but didn't know it existed.

The book of Justus. About to be read by Justin. Makes natural sense:D

It doesn't really focus on planar-magnetic drivers but rather ribbons, which is a bit disappointing. So Apogee bass panel type drivers don't get much of a look in.

For those that don't know, a ribbon is clamped at the top and bottom only (Apogee MRT - mid range / treble ribbon) and an Apogee planar-magnetic bass driver around all sides.

IMG_20200808_170029.jpg

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
How is the book Justin ..??

Is this your new apogee , i thought you had Duettas, How does this model compare .. ?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No mine are the Duettas having a re-foil. The dark grey Scintillas are someone else's.

The book is really interesting. For instance:

Most ribbon makers crimp their foils, but it reduces sensitivity by about 2 DB and increases distortion. It makes the frequency response more linear, though.

Hovland caps make good ribbons when unrolled.

Mylar (Alsyvox, Maggie, Analysis) and Kapton (Apogee) may not be the best films to use. Teflon coated fibreglass is probably better according to the author.

Lots of other good stuff in there, too.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And I thought this was a book that gave Christian Grey his ideas on what to do with ribbons on a date once the wine starts flowing Lol.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If I knew more about that dude I might understand what you were on about:)

He had same kinks as audiophiles, just with women

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I thought Justin would get the reference. I mean, he went to see Fifty Shades Of Grey multiple times. For research purposes. Christian was sure an expert with those ribbons in the bedroom.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh bondage up yours you mean?

I see now;)
You're being as obtuse as only an audiophile can. Yes, bondage. Whether it's ribbons in the bedroom. Or the listening room. We're all slaves to the heat. And the beat.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Actually Germ Free Adolescents on vinyl is one of the best sounding LPs own.

It's seriously well cut and produced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing