Analogue Heaven in Paris - My Visit to Ana Mighty Sound

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Congrats on your new CSPort TAT1 M2 turntable. Is it possible for you to share your thought on how the TAT1 compares with your Brinkmann Balance? I appreciate that you don't have it in your own system yet so difficult to be exact but any initial thoughts you can share would be very helpful? For example, what characteristics really stood out during your demos? No worries if not possible. Many thanks
I did not make a direct comparison but Ana Mighty Sound had an AMG Viella Forte which is very close to the Brinkmann Balance. The CSPort LFT1 was jut more engaging with a sense of authority, nuances and flow that I could not have with the AMG. That day I knew that if I ever wanted to replace the Brinkmann Balance, the CSPort would be the one.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
I did not make a direct comparison but Ana Mighty Sound had an AMG Viella Forte which is very close to the Brinkmann Balance. The CSPort LFT1 was jut more engaging with a sense of authority, nuances and flow that I could not have with the AMG. That day I knew that if I ever wanted to replace the Brinkmann Balance, the CSPort would be the one.
That's fantastic. Many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback.

ariel2611

Apr 29, 2022
Haifa, Israel
Great report dcc,
Could you please focus on your impression/ experience with the Thrax Lyra SE + Bassus?
Seems a very interesting ls...

Regards,
Ariel

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The Thrax Lyra SE are quite impressive being very transparent , detailed and fast. Adding the Bassus brings them to the next level with a sense of "weight". The physical appearance of the combo could be improved.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Two years ago, I reported about my trip to Paris where I spent 3 days at Ana Mighty Sound listening to all their turntables. This allowed me to select the CSPort TAT1 M2 as my end game analog front end.

I recently returned to Paris for a second pilgrimage to this analogue heaven.

This time, I spent 4 days with the sole goal of having fun, discovering some music (François has a vast collection) and providing constructive feedback along some comparative listening sessions.

François has recently brought in the full line of Soundsmith cartridges and I was curious to discover the brand new top of the line Hyperion MK II MR against other cartridges I am familiar with (I had the chance to listen to 10 different cartridges in my system as part of the acquisition process of my new turntable).

IMG_5252.jpeg

The first days, we fitted the Hyperion MK II MR on a suspended direct drive STST turntable mounted with a Schroeder CB-L with Silver internal wiring (I have a similar tonearm but the shorter version on one of my turntables) and on a TechDas Air Force 5 Premium mounted with a Glanz tonearm. The rest of the system was the darTZeel NHB-18 mk2 preamp and the stereo power amp NHB-108 model Two feeding a pair of Thrax Lyra SE with the additional passive bass modules Thrax Hades. All cables (interconnect and HP) were from the Hemingway Z-Core Beta and Sigma range.

IMG_5245.jpeg

The Hyperion is detailed and very natural. The STST set up was more convincing than the TechDas one as the latter was less detailed and somehow dead.

We swapped the darTZeel stereo power amp for the mono blocks NHB-468 and the soundstage which was already great became even better.

The following days were dedicated to an all-out assault confrontation between the Dohmann Helix One MK II (François is waiting for his MK III so if you are interested by a good deal on his demo MK II, just reach out to him) and the CSPort LFT1 M2 with its linear tracking arm. The Helix One was fitted with both the SAT LM-09 and the Schroeder Referenz SQ tonearms.

IMG_5262.jpeg

We also brought into the mix a Thrax Yatrus direct drive turntable mounted with a Schroeder CB fitted with the Soundsmith Sussurro MK II but it was under par against the two heavy weights.

The phono stage was the six box Phasemation EA-2000. We swapped the darTZeel preamp for the Thrax Libra connected to the NHB-468.

IMG_5256.jpeg

We listened to the Hyperion mounted to the SAT and the CSPort linear tracking arm and compared it against the My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum, the Phasemation PP 5000 and the darTZeel prototype with the diamond cantilever. We started with Hyperion on the SAT/Helix One combo and the darTZeel cart on the LFT1. The Hyperion with the Helix One was impressive but was even better when mounted on the LFT1. I wonder how the Linear Tracking version of the Soundsmith Hyperion mk2 MR could sound even better. The MSL/Schroeder combo was the least convincing (everything being relative) whereas the darTZeel and PP-5000 carts gave me the exact same feeling I had when I listened to them in my system.

IMG_5290.jpeg

With all the cartridges, the LFT1 had a slight edge over the Helix One as it sounded more natural and authoritative.

We finally swapped the NHB-468 for a bi-amp combo comprising a pair of Thrax Spartacus 300 B driving the Lyra SE and a pair of Thrax Heros mk II driving the Hades bass modules. This was definitely my favorite set up but you will need to bear the heat of four giant pure class A power amps.

IMG_5306.jpeg

I am convinced that we could even get better by converting the LFT1 into a TAT1 fitted with both the CSPort linear tracking arm and a SAT LM-12 (my combo). The Hyperion would do some serious magic on the SAT LM-12.

I definitely enjoyed my stay in Paris and I came back with a shopping list of vinyl which have been ordered.

Extract from the classical music playlist:

- Bach, Cello Suites BWV 1007-1012, Recomposed by Peter Gregson
- Bach, Goldberg Variations, Michel Kiener
- Beethoven, Diabelli-Variationen op.120 für Klavier & Orchester, Uri Caine / - Concerto Köln)
- Dvorak, String Quartets Nr.12 & 13 Pavel, Haas Quartet
- Gluck, Orfeo & Euridice, Georg Solti
- Haydn, Piano Trios, Beaux Arts Trio
- Haydn, String Quartets op. 33, Weller Quartet
- Schubert, Lieder The Shepherd on The Rock, Elly Ameling

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
53941AB3-93B4-436B-BE05-DE17A0680296.jpeg

my pic from May 2022. There was no sound smith nor Dart cartridge at the time. The thrax gear is great.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@dcc

no surprise, CS Port LFT1 kicks ass, darts doing their thing, lots of fun, valuable feedback on a collection of other gear, great report!

love to hear about sessions like this. bravo!

many thanks for the playlist, too!

Last edited:

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I met François for the first time in Munich this year, also in their room with darTZeel, but also in person at Dinner that CSPORT from japan
were so kind to invite us to. It was so Fun and a real pleasure to meet everyone and François in particular. have a chat on all Analog as we both analog aficionados and CSPORT lovers in particular.
Next time i'm in Paris, Ana mighty sound is a MUST have stop for me! i miss François.

Thank you so much for sharing and for the great pictures and detailed adventures of yours at François HQ.

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Hello ,

Thanks for posting this , what were your overall and final impressions of the sound-smith carts ..?

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I met François for the first time in Munich this year, also in their room with darTZeel, but also in person at Dinner that CSPORT from japan
were so kind to invite us to. It was so Fun and a real pleasure to meet everyone and François in particular. have a chat on all Analog as we both analog aficionados and CSPORT lovers in particular.
Next time i'm in Paris, Ana mighty sound is a MUST have stop for me! i miss François.

Thank you so much for sharing and for the great pictures and detailed adventures of yours at François HQ.
That was a nice dinner indeed ??.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

• Love
Reactions: byrdparis and Cala

Cala

May 2, 2018
Paris
anamightysound.com
Next time... let's gather all at Ana Mighty Sound or Perfect Sense or Byrdparis :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing