Amir's CES 2015 High-end Audio Report and Picture Thread

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
These are not the Verity Monsalvat statement speakers that were supposed to be at CES. They appear to be the Lohengrin IIS. What am I missing here ?

In another thread the announcement was made that the Monsalvat was going to be a no-show. We will have our show report video done shortly complete with vids and freeze frames. BTW, we also liked the Verity room :) Great report!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome work, Amir! Thank you! Question - i saw your photos of the Neolith...any comments you would care to share about how it sounded to you? I know shows are tough/deceiving places to listen...but curious nevertheless as to any impressions you may have.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm rather disappointed that Vlad elected to go ML2.2 up top and ML3 below. I personally would have gone ML3 to handle the ever important midrange and used M1.2s or M2.2s for the bass. Their input sensitivities are very close despite the max output power differential. I'm not dissing the ML2.2 but its big brother is in a whole 'nuther league. While the combo they used might be just great in a domestic setting but you need headroom at shows. Everybody just talks too much you NEED to play louder than usual.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Awesome work, Amir! Thank you! Question - i saw your photos of the Neolith...any comments you would care to share about how it sounded to you? I know shows are tough/deceiving places to listen...but curious nevertheless as to any impressions you may have.
Thanks for the kind words. They were messing with the system, i.e. what to play and so I didn't hear it much. The little bit that I did hear sounded more like a full range speaker if you know what I mean.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the kind words. They were messing with the system, i.e. what to play and so I didn't hear it much. The little bit that I did hear sounded more like a full range speaker if you know what I mean.

Too bad...but sounds promising. Will make a point to hear it when it comes over to this side...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm rather disappointed that Vlad elected to go ML2.2 up top and ML3 below. I personally would have gone ML3 to handle the ever important midrange and used M1.2s or M2.2s for the bass. Their input sensitivities are very close despite the max output power differential. I'm not dissing the ML2.2 but its big brother is in a whole 'nuther league. While the combo they used might be just great in a domestic setting but you need headroom at shows. Everybody just talks too much you NEED to play louder than usual.

I asked him about this several weeks ago and posted his comments. Simply put he ran out of geography as he would have 8 boxes for the 2 ML3's. As a result he went with the ML2.2 . Simply put, the floor wasn't large enough in his room to accommodate

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I am very sorry Gary. I could swear I went to the 30th floor and didn't see you. Nor did I think you would be there which was my bad :(.

No worries - you can come to Seattle and have a private listen after the gear gets back from Las Vegas :)

I didn't post much here on the run-up to the show as this year I had 3 times more to do.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No worries - you can come to Seattle and have a private listen after the gear gets back from Las Vegas :)

I didn't post much here on the run-up to the show as this year I had 3 times more to do.
Thanks :). Will do. How did you find the show attendance. Was it lower as I noticed?

Syn Res

Industry Expert
Nov 21, 2014
Irvine California
Not radio waves?

Thanks for the CES coverage Amir! Loved your comments re: that stupid Synergistic Atmosphere device, and especially how they described it to you. Of course 8Hz is not RF, that tells us how much they know about technology.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LpHBnvsI[/video]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_low_frequency

Yours in music,
Ted Denney Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Welcome aboard TED DENNEY!

This is the best audio forum on the planet.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LpHBnvsI[/video]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_low_frequency

Yours in music,
Ted Denney Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

Yes, as your wikipedia article shows, 8Hz is in the range of ELF, not RF - when we talk about RF, well, here's another wikipedia article which lays it out well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency

Radio frequency (RF) is a rate of oscillation in the range of around 3 kHz to 300 GHz which corresponds to the frequency of radio waves

You may wish to change your pitch to say the device operates in the ELF, and I think it will be a lot more accurate.

Syn Res

Industry Expert
Nov 21, 2014
Irvine California
ELF is a bandwidth of RF. RF is the general term for radio waves. I do not believe anyone is confused by our explanation save those seeking to promote confusion around this product. We could not be more transparent about what we are doing with Atmosphere, or how it operates.

In the following link please notice that nowhere does the term 'RF' refer to a specific band of radio waves. RF is a general or generic term for 'radio waves' and is not spectrum specific. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

Yours in music,
Ted Denney
Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

Last edited:

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
ELF is a bandwidth of RF. RF is the general term for radio waves. I do not believe anyone is confused by our explanation save those seeking to promote confusion around this product. We could not be more transparent about what we are doing with Atmosphere, or how it operates.

In the following link please notice that nowhere does the term 'RF' refer to a specific band of radio waves. RF is a general or generic term for 'radio waves' and is not spectrum specific. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

Yours in music,
Ted Denney

New technology at work ?

"Because of the difficulty of building antennas that can radiate such long waves, ELF frequencies have been used in only a very few man-made communication systems. "

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Your link actually DOES tie 'RF' to a specific spectrum, because your article on the radio spectrum actually specifically links to the article I gave you regarding RF; here it is, in the very first sentence in fact:

The radio spectrum is that part of the electromagnetic spectrum corresponding to radio frequencies

Now click on "radio frequencies" and you will land at the right place. Therefore, the radio spectrum quite naturally corresponds to radio frequencies, and is band-specific at that; commonly, RF usually implies MHz to GHz operation, but it can go as low as the kHz as the wikipedia (on RF) article says... and DEFINITELY not in the ELF.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I predict a very short life span for Mr. Denney on this forum.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yours in music,
Ted Denney

I had pointed it in a previous thread - RF is general term, but most people associate it only with their AM/FM radios! ;)
Welcome to WBF.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's just semantics - because radio is based on electromagnetic principles, some people equate radio waves to electromagnetic waves. Hence, RF = the entire band of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths theoretically from the length of the Universe down to Planck constant. Ted Denney probably used this less common interpretation.

Nevertheless, in common usage "radio" spectrum range from megahertz to gigahertz..... as was pointed out by various members of WBF.

Interestingly, ELF as used by submarine radios use different technology than what the layman knows as "antennas" to transmit/receive.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
It's just semantics - because radio is based on electromagnetic principles, some people equate radio waves to electromagnetic waves. Hence, RF = the entire band of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths theoretically from the length of the Universe down to Planck constant. Ted Denney probably used this less common interpretation.

Nevertheless, in common usage "radio" spectrum range from megahertz to gigahertz..... as was pointed out by various members of WBF.

Interestingly, ELF as used by submarine radios use different technology than what the layman knows as "antennas" to transmit/receive.

More to do with intellectual curiosity than audio excellence, but I didn't realise submarines used a different technology.Would be interested to know when it dates from and how it differs from the more familiar technology.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing