American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love Chopin Marty but I think I see where Khun Tang is coming from. There are only 2 places where I routinely reach for his compositions, the patio or the bedroom. Somehow Chopin in the office would not be high on my list of choices :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ok Marty. I am not Ron Resnick. (Somehow I like rubbing him on this :p). Couldyou recommend me a piece of your favorite Chopin please. I am looking to expand my musical horizon.

kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I love Chopin Marty but I think I see where Khun Tang is coming from. There are only 2 places where I routinely reach for his compositions, the patio or the bedroom. Somehow Chopin in the office would not be high on my list of choices :)
Dear Jack,

My system already sounded sleepy enough to make Sam snoozed when he was visiting my room. And I didnt play any Chopin.

Tang :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The funeral march might wake up a sleeper but not wake the dead Hahahaha :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am betting that not only would they control the drivers but so also would sound darn good.

My speakers are 95 dB efficient and each speaker has a 13" woofer and a 15" subwoofer and there is just no problem

I don’t know exactly why your system sounds as fantastic and as dynamic as it does! :)

I give the Lamm suite most of the credit. I might have thought the ML3s would have trouble pushing those big drivers, but in your room and with your system they don’t. And we have played things LOUD together!

Why can’t Vlad offer an option to make them in silver, in addition to his ubiquitous 1950s Russian secret laboratory black?:cool:

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I love this music but I'm having trouble identifying the record or the piece he's playing. Can you give a fellow Lamm club member some information please?
Bach's Chaconne by Leonid Kogan at Grand Hall Moscow Conservatoire 1954.

FFD0F3DB-F52E-4657-9513-9749EB42CC7B.jpeg
4E6FFDE3-338E-42A4-A2D1-2D0958907063.jpeg

Bonzo just took the last NM from Discogs.

Tang :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ok Marty. I am not Ron Resnick. (Somehow I like rubbing him on this :p). Couldyou recommend me a piece of your favorite Chopin please. I am looking to expand my musical horizon.

kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tang,

I am not Marty but I am a *massive* Chopin fan. If you want something to set the pulse racing then check out the Winter Wind (Etude, op 25, no 11) - fond memories of my dad playing it as a little boy - the energy and vituosity used to leave my head spinning stood next to him. The Aeolian Harp stirs my soul - it has this cathartic inner flow of life that puts things right in my world - Etude Opus 25, no 1. For something a bit rambunctious try the Polonaise in Ab. For something that will induce a childhood nostalgia, try the prelude opus 28, no 15.
The 2nd piano concerto is utterly sublime too. Maybe it’ll take more time, but once Chopin penetrates your soul, there is no letting go.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, I'm not Marty either (lucky Marty LOL), but how does this listener addicted to Bartok, Stravinsky and Shostakovich, get into Chopin, and the less stressed side/psyche of the classical composer?

I really tune into artists' angst rather than their playful personas.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Chopin is just extraordinary... absolutely on my desert island (apologies in advance) Liszt of classical composers... so much so that because all the other classical composers on my desert island list surnames all start with either the letter B or S I secretly cheated and renamed him Shopin just so that I could still squeeze him on.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hey, I'm not Marty either (lucky Marty LOL), but how does this listener addicted to Bartok, Stravinsky and Shostakovich, get into Chopin, and the less stressed side/psyche of the classical composer?

I really tune into artists' angst rather than their playful personas.

I would start by listening to the nocturnes with a large glass of red after a very busy day of osteopathy Marc - the purpose would be to try to find your neutral space and chill your beans.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Damn, and skyrocketed the price too.. Sometimes I hate that I like any classical at all.

It's not worth it, seriously. It's better listening to digital and finding Kogan, Oistrakh, Milstein, at a moment's touch. We buy these because we are mad. It's an addiction, nothing more. I wouldn't recommend anyone get into such vintage LPs and recordings now, most of them are played out and battered anyway

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm having limited luck procuring original pressings in 60s and 70s prog and fusion, without copious surface noise.

£150 spent on Pink Swirl label Charisma Genesis "Trespass", plus a whole bunch of other Genesis and Yes purchases have had to go back for refunds.

A lot of NM or EX+/++ rock vinyl looks pristine, but plays poorly at best, abysmally at worst.

Is it any better in the classical collectors world?

My temptation is just to go for cheaper NM/EX £10 titles on Ebay, buy in bulk, and unearth some gems.

Reactions: bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm having limited luck procuring original pressings in 60s and 70s prog and fusion, without copious surface noise.

£150 spent on Pink Swirl label Charisma Genesis "Trespass", plus a whole bunch of other Genesis and Yes purchases have had to go back for refunds.

A lot of NM or EX+/++ rock vinyl looks pristine, but plays poorly at best, abysmally at worst.

Is it any better in the classical collectors world?

My temptation is just to go for cheaper NM/EX £10 titles on Ebay, buy in bulk, and unearth some gems.

Nope. They are mostly bad and no point buying imo except because it feels addictive to keep searching till you unearth something

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I dont know what carts these rock guys used, but distortion even in NM visual lps suggests 5g over the ideal LOL.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It's not worth it, seriously. It's better listening to digital and finding Kogan, Oistrakh, Milstein, at a moment's touch. We buy these because we are mad. It's an addiction, nothing more. I wouldn't recommend anyone get into such vintage LPs and recordings now, most of them are played out and battered anyway
Brilliant plan! I fear all is not exactly as it seems here Ked.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, how many collectors vinyl have you bought that are poor for surface noise?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Ked, how many collectors vinyl have you bought that are poor for surface noise?

Quite a bit, they won't necessarily have surface noise but groove distortion (hardness), or even sound a bit dead.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing