American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don’t have a pic. But different carts seem so different. With the GFS, you lift the rear and it becomes more open and sharper transient, while with AtlasSL you have to lower the rear to get the same effect. I don’t know if the good sound I am hearing now is 92degree or not. Probably more not than likely.

Kind regards,
Tang

Yes, probably not. Optimal tonearm height will likely be different for each 'arm-cartridge combination. That is one factor why your sound is not homogenized. The topic about some particular degree comes from promotion of the notion that it represents an average of what was used as a cutting stylus angle in making a record. Regardless of that, the 'arm height has to be set somewhere and if the stylus rake angle starts at 92-degrees, it will likely not end up there. Cartridges have differenr suspensions and use different tracking force so rake angle will be different as the cartridge plays a record.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
with this kind of obvious financial muscle at your hand, I cannot understand why I don´t see a pair of ATAE "Studers" in your beautiful setup?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
with this kind of obvious financial muscle at your hand, I cannot understand why I don´t see a pair of ATAE "Studers" in your beautiful setup?

You never know what you will find in my room sir.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Finished fine tuning all three carts AtlasSL, GFS and Opus1. Learning everyday playing with carts tuning. I think the trick is to have each record sound differently to its own. Often sound like a flaw but that is the charm of uniqueness in each recording imo. This AS2000 sounds really good I don’t bother play or even install arms carts back to the other tts.

Tang :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a very nice video, Tang!

It is fun to see some of the objects and details in your office!

Will the dog fur diffuser stay positioned properly for the duration of a full song?

How are you planning to elevate the performance of your tape playback?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Will the dog fur diffuser stay positioned properly for the duration of a full song?

How are you planning to elevate the performance of your tape playback?

Tape is very difficult to try to optimize over here Ron. There is just no truly professional tech here. I am really questioning my tape gears at the moment. I am waiting for Nick Doshi to come double check triple check my gears. He supposed to come to deliver 5 tape pre that Mr.T ordered and upgrade my unit too. Let’s see if it could produce enough delta to my vinyl front. If not maybe I lure Mr.T and his buddy to buy ATAE with me and ask for better price :D. I have been interested in the ATAE machine itching to know what the top of the top is like. But buying it involves me taking 4 days training with Fred in Califonia. Just to stay with ddk 2 more hours into the night already made my Commander in Chief (wife) upset enough. If we were to buy Fred has to fly. Mr.T already has 5 A820 though.

Btw my diffuser does move around from song to song.
Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Finished fine tuning all three carts AtlasSL, GFS and Opus1. Learning everyday playing with carts tuning. I think the trick is to have each record sound differently to its own. Often sound like a flaw but that is the charm of uniqueness in each recording imo. This AS2000 sounds really good I don’t bother play or even install arms carts back to the other tts.

Dear Tang,
You have the Crown Jewels all laid out :)! The pleasure and satisfaction I see with AS2000 owners is why I make them, thank you for posting!

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,
You have the Crown Jewels all laid out :)! The pleasure and satisfaction I see with AS2000 owners is why I make them, thank you for posting!

david

Dear David,

You should be proud not only because of me enjoying your tt very much but also seeing me, the know nothing guy, able to get the right sound by myself after you taught me. The AS2000 somehow becomes an excellent tool to play around with. I am having a lot of fun squeezing the best sound out of a modern cart by myself. You just gave me more home work to do on ZYX and VdH. And look at Christian he is having fun with with those vintage carts. Thanks again Khun David.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
That sounds beautiful, Tang. Great music (and video) while I sip my morning coffee. I didn't think I would like that LP based on samples I listened to when Shane recommended it to you but having heard that song in its entirety I will probably order it.

Then I can make my own video of Kronos/AtlasSL/3012r/Damien with all the junk in my room and my moving diffusor. :)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Tang

Your dog is your most precious possession....

Sell the other tt's while they are worth the most $$......

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang

Your dog is your most precious possession....

Sell the other tt's while they are worth the most $$......

Indeed he is. He’s been through ups and downs with me for 14 years already.

Btw, Are you Steve Davis?

Tang :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Very good Tang, sounds wonderful !! I do laugh how the AF1 and EMT tables are now consigned to being storage units for lp's, cartridges and accessories :D

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

The lesson from this video is when you have the AS2000, the Air Force One becomes your record holder.

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
Tang love the video
Love the song
Most of all Mr Dog

Enjoy
PS don't get rid of your AF still a good turntable

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tape is very difficult to try to optimize over here Ron. There is just no truly professional tech here. I am really questioning my tape gears at the moment. I am waiting for Nick Doshi to come double check triple check my gears. He supposed to come to deliver 5 tape pre that Mr.T ordered and upgrade my unit too. Let’s see if it could produce enough delta to my vinyl front. If not maybe I lure Mr.T and his buddy to buy ATAE with me and ask for better price :D. I have been interested in the ATAE machine itching to know what the top of the top is like. But buying it involves me taking 4 days training with Fred in Califonia. Just to stay with ddk 2 more hours into the night already made my Commander in Chief (wife) upset enough. If we were to buy Fred has to fly. Mr.T already has 5 A820 though.

Btw my diffuser does move around from song to song.
Kind regards,
Tang

Thank you, Tang.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The 3012R is working superb on AS2000. I have two more coming and will be just like Christian’s. The SAT’s are going back to AF1P and Kronos. Once settle with all 4 SME’s, I will do videos of different modern mc carts (Opus1, AtlasSL, ZYX Univ Pre, VdH Master Sig, GFS) on apple to apple and put them neck to neck so you guys can hear some differences.

I like Opus playing John Fahey very much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing