Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A spectra 4400 panel is huge...you sure you really heard one?? I measured it in room to 20hz nearly flat (maybe 3db down) no sub needed (they were the subs!). No idea how much distortion though...didn-t have an analyzer to measure distortion.

HF response was only down about 1db at 15Khz and about 3db down at 20khz...perfectly respectable extension in-room and a desirable way for it to be as room power response should not be flat like on-axis response.

You probably never tried really good tube amps on them...

Nope I heard all kinds of decent tube amps on them, tube amps like the Melos range, the large ARC D250 Servo, Conrad Johnson Premier One and a few others I cannot recall. Also i had a friend who owned the huge Acoustat 8's....which If I'm not mistaken were even bigger than the Spectra 4400's. All highly flawed to my ears...with a certain plastic coloration that we haven't even touched upon yet.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Nope I heard all kinds of decent tube amps on them, tube amps like the Melos range, the large ARC D250 Servo, Conrad Johnson Premier One and a few others I cannot recall. Also i had a friend who owned the huge Acoustat 8's....which If I'm not mistaken were even bigger than the Spectra 4400's. All highly flawed to my ears...with a certain plastic coloration that we haven't even touched upon yet.

All electrostats have somewhat of a plastic coloration...its because all the panels are made of....drum roll please...plastic! You can hear a "quack" from conventional drivers made of plastic as well. And you can get a zing from metal ones and in general ceramic ones sound "whitish". Materials colorations are one of the biggest issues with speakers and often the "flavor" of a speaker. I find nearly all ceramic driver based speakers unlistenable because while a plastic coloration is somewhat subtle the problem with ceramic drivers is anything but. One of the most "neutral" materials seems to be carbon fiber but again it is still not silent. Paper also has a character, doped or not, but it is somehow consonant with music, unlike metal and ceramic.

One of the biggest problems I hear with conventional, multi-way speakers is when the speaker is using different materials for each frequency range. For example, a doped paper woofer, a metal, ceramic or plastic midrange and then a metal dome tweeter...all stitched together with a high order crossover. You will hear the coloration contribution from each driver, especially if an instrument bridges two or more of those drivers...just awful and will completely destroy the illusion.

The ear/brain can mask/ignore a constant coloration and once assimilated to you don't really hear it anymore. A speaker with multiple colorations that get excited at different times means they will continually jump out and never become repetitive enough to allow the ear/brain to ignore them. They destroy the sound. You want to talk about coloration of a speaker, THIS, IMO, is the real killer of most cone/dome box speakers. Nevermind the boxes contributions, which are also difficult to ignore because they get excited by only certain frequencies and then jump at you from time to time as a thickening of the sound in the mids unnaturally.

Given the number and degree of colorations in normal cone/dome speakers, I am not at all concerned about a small somewhat plasticky coloration in electrostats. I never said the speakers are coloration free...show me one that is.

Some of the efforts from Wilson and Magico do a nice job of getting the box part to be mostly silent...for Wilson it doesn't seem to sacrifice liveliness but with Magico...they sound relatively dead to me. HOWEVER, it doesn't eliminate the cone cry and tweeter ringing etc. that you get from each driver in the system. That is probably why Wilson finally gave up on Ti Focal tweeter for a "gasp" soft dome. I detest soft dome tweeters though because, while pleasant, sound unrealistic to me. They are in breakup from a few Khz...albeit a "soft" breakup.

IMO, a speaker with uniform distortion will sound less artificial because we can mask something that is uniform...as long as its not too high in level of course. Apogees also sound quite pure even though they also have coloration...but it is uniform as all drivers are the same basic materials.

This is one of the main reasons I left conventional speakers and even after hearing the latest and greatest I can still hear how they are "stitched" together when using disparate materials. Or they use really offensive materials like ceramic drivers, which I have never heard sound right...not Avalon, not Marten design, not Kharma (who dumped them now for carbon fiber derived), not Gauder etc. etc.

The best horns are not completely color free of course but it is minimized to below what I hear from nearly all box speakers AND they have dynamics and liveness that I don't hear from any box speaker.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow for once we agree 100%. This must be your first good top to bottom post, sometimes you sound like a multi way cone, top half makes sense, bottom half sounds from somewhere else.

Reactions: KeithR

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) This is one of the main reasons I left conventional speakers and even after hearing the latest and greatest I can still hear how they are "stitched" together when using disparate materials. Or they use really offensive materials like ceramic drivers, which I have never heard sound right...not Avalon, not Marten design, not Kharma (who dumped them now for carbon fiber derived), not Gauder etc. etc. (...)

Wow for once we agree 100%. (...)

Perhaps 80%? ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) IMO, a speaker with uniform distortion will sound less artificial because we can mask something that is uniform...as long as its not too high in level of course. Apogees also sound quite pure even though they also have coloration...but it is uniform as all drivers are the same basic materials. (...)

IMHO speaker distortion is not the same thing as speaker coloration and we should be very specific if debating in a thread also addressing horns versus direct radiation speakers. And I would not mind seeing the measurements that support your positions.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Wow for once we agree 100%. This must be your first good top to bottom post, sometimes you sound like a multi way cone, top half makes sense, bottom half sounds from somewhere else.
First top to bottom?? You forgot that’s IMO at the end of your post ;-).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
IMHO speaker distortion is not the same thing as speaker coloration and we should be very specific if debating in a thread also addressing horns versus direct radiation speakers. And I would not mind seeing the measurements that support your positions.
Well, right out of gate your post is not 100%. Distortion is anything that is altering the original signal. Coloration from cabinet or driver resonances are non-linear but correlated with the signal. Therefore they are a form of distortion and not noise, which is uncorrelated with the signal.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Likewise, you were the first in this thread to state direct radiators have lower distortion, so evidence please...

I think the fact that pro systems largely use horns to play very loud with low distortion is already very good circumstantial evidence. As you go down in level the distortion drops accordingly...that’s pretty clear from the physics.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
All electrostats have somewhat of a plastic coloration...its because all the panels are made of....drum roll please...plastic! You can hear a "quack" from conventional drivers made of plastic as well. And you can get a zing from metal ones and in general ceramic ones sound "whitish". Materials colorations are one of the biggest issues with speakers and often the "flavor" of a speaker. I find nearly all ceramic driver based speakers unlistenable because while a plastic coloration is somewhat subtle the problem with ceramic drivers is anything but. One of the most "neutral" materials seems to be carbon fiber but again it is still not silent. Paper also has a character, doped or not, but it is somehow consonant with music, unlike metal and ceramic.

One of the biggest problems I hear with conventional, multi-way speakers is when the speaker is using different materials for each frequency range. For example, a doped paper woofer, a metal, ceramic or plastic midrange and then a metal dome tweeter...all stitched together with a high order crossover. You will hear the coloration contribution from each driver, especially if an instrument bridges two or more of those drivers...just awful and will completely destroy the illusion.

The ear/brain can mask/ignore a constant coloration and once assimilated to you don't really hear it anymore. A speaker with multiple colorations that get excited at different times means they will continually jump out and never become repetitive enough to allow the ear/brain to ignore them. They destroy the sound. You want to talk about coloration of a speaker, THIS, IMO, is the real killer of most cone/dome box speakers. Nevermind the boxes contributions, which are also difficult to ignore because they get excited by only certain frequencies and then jump at you from time to time as a thickening of the sound in the mids unnaturally.

Given the number and degree of colorations in normal cone/dome speakers, I am not at all concerned about a small somewhat plasticky coloration in electrostats. I never said the speakers are coloration free...show me one that is.

Some of the efforts from Wilson and Magico do a nice job of getting the box part to be mostly silent...for Wilson it doesn't seem to sacrifice liveliness but with Magico...they sound relatively dead to me. HOWEVER, it doesn't eliminate the cone cry and tweeter ringing etc. that you get from each driver in the system. That is probably why Wilson finally gave up on Ti Focal tweeter for a "gasp" soft dome. I detest soft dome tweeters though because, while pleasant, sound unrealistic to me. They are in breakup from a few Khz...albeit a "soft" breakup.

IMO, a speaker with uniform distortion will sound less artificial because we can mask something that is uniform...as long as its not too high in level of course. Apogees also sound quite pure even though they also have coloration...but it is uniform as all drivers are the same basic materials.

This is one of the main reasons I left conventional speakers and even after hearing the latest and greatest I can still hear how they are "stitched" together when using disparate materials. Or they use really offensive materials like ceramic drivers, which I have never heard sound right...not Avalon, not Marten design, not Kharma (who dumped them now for carbon fiber derived), not Gauder etc. etc.

The best horns are not completely color free of course but it is minimized to below what I hear from nearly all box speakers AND they have dynamics and liveness that I don't hear from any box speaker.

You mention driver problems, cabinet problems and crossover problems with many conventional cone speaker brands. Have you not auditioned Rockport Technologies speakers, or have you auditioned them and found them to have the same problems as these other brands but you forgot to add Rockports to your post, or have you auditioned them and found them not to have the same problems as these other brands?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You mention driver problems, cabinet problems and crossover problems with many conventional cone speaker brands. Have you not auditioned Rockport Technologies speakers, or have you auditioned them and found them to have the same problems as these other brands but you forgot to add Rockports to your post, or have you auditioned them and found them not to have the same problems as these other brands?

Ron, if he answers your second question, does that not make the third one redundant?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

How do you explain that no one to my knowledge (meaning I have never heard myself, and I have never read or heard a comment to this effect) has reported hearing metal done tweeter ringing or brightness from the recent or current generations of Rockport Technologies speakers?

Ron, I've heard the same lack of complaints about Magico speakers ever since they developed the M Pro with its diamond coated tweeter. No one complains about the tweeter in the S series Mk2 or the new M series.

Reactions: Bodhi

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, if he answers your second question, does that not make the third one redundant?

Yes, but I was just trying to make it easier for him with a clear multiple choice offering.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, right out of gate your post is not 100%. Distortion is anything that is altering the original signal. Coloration from cabinet or driver resonances are non-linear but correlated with the signal. Therefore they are a form of distortion and not noise, which is uncorrelated with the signal.

Playing with semantics and definitions. My point was clear - in normal use speaker distortion and speaker coloration have different meanings.

Reactions: Al M.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Morricab has a good point ( can I say that??:oops:) All drivers have their own individual set of problems. The question becomes which speaker manufacturer has dealt the best with what they have available. On Saturday, I listened to the new YG XV-1's with their new hybrid tweeter, made of silk and metal. IMO, these tweeters are an excellent driver. However, here's the main thing, the overall speaker design of the new YG's wasn't flawed as to BIG areas of its reproduction, like the Acoustats! ( or for that matter all horn speakers that I have heard). IOW, one wasn't missing bottom end clarity and punch, top end sparkle and air, precise imaging etc. Sure, these particular speakers require a lot of up front muscle from your amp and a huge room, ( and a very healthy sized wallet!) but if you have these things, you will get a product that can give you a very decent overall sound.

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, always good to compare YG XV powered by relentless with Acoustat. I do agree that the 300k Zellaton with 200 plus fm acoustics is better than Martin Logan. And Tang's system must surely be better than devore.

Fwiw, I like YG, and they play more like stats (similar decay, openness and mids, but with more oomph and better quality than stats). So no wonder Chuck went from X2S2 to XLF to YG XV. But then no wonder Tang, who had the YG, was going to get the first four column YG, and also considered Zellaton (which again, has my favorite mids because it sounds like a pure ribbon apogee (at audio arts, not at Munich)) went Cessaro.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
There's no speaker called YG XV-1. Perhaps Dave was referring to the YG Sonja XV we just had here.

And for the record, we've had tons of panels/stats fans come to the store, and they'd always pick the YG as their fave, one even saying that if he had to move from his panels/stats, he'd go YG.

Also had clients with AG horns that's considering moving to big YGs as well.

So it's silly to generalize. People like what they like, and they go with whatever's best for them at a given point in time.

Reactions: sbo6 and KeithR

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thank for the correction on the name of the YG's, Alex. However, I was not generalizing. The YG's are IMO a very good representative of a dynamic style of speaker...done right. Having owned Acoustats and other panels, I would still own these speakers IF they had anything like the SQ that one hears from the YG's...even the lower priced current YG models!
Horns are a big FAVE for some on this forum, they aren't generalizing about their merits...but yes, people like what they like at a given point in time--- and certainly seem only too happy to ignore their faults.

Reactions: sujay

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thank for the correction on the name of the YG's, Alex. However, I was not generalizing. The YG's are IMO a very good representative of a dynamic style of speaker...done right. Having owned Acoustats and other panels, I would still own these speakers IF they had anything like the SQ that one hears from the YG's...even the lower priced current YG models!
Horns are a big FAVE for some on this forum, they aren't generalizing about their merits...but yes, people like what they like at a given point in time--- and certainly seem only too happy to ignore their faults.

I believe we all selectively ignore faults based on our listening preferences. I love dynamics, so I'm willing to ignore the few faults of my current speakers because they deliver on the dynamics. My past Avantgardes had too many faults to account for the great dynamics.

Your love for Lyra cartridges is a similar story. You're willing to deal with the often hard edge of the Lyra sound as long as you get the detail you crave. Its a trade of. There is no perfect component that satisfies all listeners. If there was, we'd all be using it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I believe we all selectively ignore faults based on our listening preferences. I love dynamics, so I'm willing to ignore the few faults of my current speakers because they deliver on the dynamics. My past Avantgardes had too many faults to account for the great dynamics.

Your love for Lyra cartridges is a similar story. You're willing to deal with the often hard edge of the Lyra sound as long as you get the detail you crave. Its a trade of. There is no perfect component that satisfies all listeners. If there was, we'd all be using it.

I don’t hear or have a hard edge with the Lyra. I know this is the rep that they have, but I am really only now understanding why people think this. It is because they typically hear these cartridges with ss phono preamps or SUT’s. Several members have mentioned to me that with these type of amplification devices, the Lyra will sound as you described. Not so with a tube phono stage and tube ancillary gear.
So, yes in a way you are right, I have dealt with the issue...by using an appropriate tube phono stage and tube ancillary gear.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I don’t hear or have a hard edge with the Lyra. I know this is the rep that they have, but I am really only now understanding why people think this. It is because they typically hear these cartridges with ss phono preamps or SUT’s. Several members have mentioned to me that with these type of amplification devices, the Lyra will sound as you described. Not so with a tube phono stage and tube ancillary gear.
So, yes in a way you are right, I have dealt with the issue...by using an appropriate tube phono stage and tube ancillary gear.

YOU don't hear the hard edge of the Lyra, the fact is that many people do. Also, I'd like to point out that Lyra doesn't recommend that their products for tube phono preamps only. You've tamed the hard edge of Lyra buy softening up the presentation with tube gear. That's great, but most people would just prefer to use a different cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing