AlsyVox Botticelli with external crossovers

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Marcus:
Are you still using Cardas Clear Beyond speaker cables on the AlsyVox speakers? Your thoughts?
Sure I do (don’t have a reason to change them) but please read my thoughts about them in various Cardas threads. Don’t want to further derail this one which will soon have more comments about Apogee than AlsyVox.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yep $118k. But here is the Australian price of the Alsyvox:

Alsyvox Botticelli X​

AUD $220,000.00

3-way Dipole Speaker (2 Panels) with 2 external crossovers.

So bearing in mind that we save the freight costs etc. for the Apogees, roughly half the price here in Australia!!

To avoid confusion It would be good to apply the proper currency conversions.

The US retail of the Alsyvox Botticelli is USD 92.000. The Botticelli X is at USD 122.000.

The EU retails of the Botticelli and X are Euro 98.000 and Euro 130.000 respectively.

Additionally I do think Australia can have up to 30% in duties+taxes. In Europe this is around 20%. In the US it appears to be dependant on which State you’re in, I do think the Australian and European retail includes taxes, the US retail may exclude State sales tax.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The US retail of the Alsyvox Botticelli is USD 92.000. The Botticelli X is at USD 122.000.
The US retail price as you list, does NOT include applicable state sales tax, but does include all shipping and import costs that are associated with a sale/delivery.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Can we go back to the original theme of this thread—-the external crossovers for the Botticelli. Does anyone know if the crossover design and components used are different in the external crossover or are they the same as the internal crossover?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Can we go back to the original theme of this thread—-the external crossovers for the Botticelli. Does anyone know if the crossover design and components used are different in the external crossover or are they the same as the internal crossover?

The external crossovers are balanced and shielded, the internal crossovers are not. The external crossovers also contains larger coils. Balanced crossovers use 2-4 times the component count for filter sections. You can also adjust individual ribbon levels. Obviously there’s a vibration advantage, the external crossover boxes are filled with a vibration absorbing substance. The SQ differences have been described earlier in this thread.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
The external crossovers are balanced and shielded, the internal crossovers are not. The external crossovers also contains larger coils. Balanced crossovers use 2-4 times the component count for filter sections. You can also adjust individual ribbon levels. Obviously there’s a vibration advantage, the external crossover boxes are filled with a vibration absorbing substance. The SQ differences have been described earlier in this thread.
That explains it good. Thanks

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Why would anyone want external crossovers for?
Because the sound of any of the Alsyvox model (Tintoretto or Botticelli) has a dramatic uptick in all sonic qualities when the external crossovers are inserted into the system. Plus as Emile said, having the flexibility to adjust the super tweeters, midrange-tweeters and bass ribbons, separately, which allows for different room acoustics and also personal preferences.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Because the sound of any of the Alsyvox model (Tintoretto or Botticelli) has a dramatic uptick in all sonic qualities when the external crossovers are inserted into the system. Plus as Emile said, having the flexibility to adjust the super tweeters, midrange-tweeters and bass ribbons, separately, which allows for different room acoustics and also personal preferences.
i always wondered why some speakers use external xovers,but I now know it is a very good idea.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
To avoid confusion It would be good to apply the proper currency conversions.

The EU retails of the Botticelli and X are Euro 98.000 and Euro 130.000 respectively.

Additionally I do think Australia can have up to 30% in duties+taxes. In Europe this is around 20%. In the US it appears to be dependant on which State you’re in, I do think the Australian and European retail includes taxes, the US retail may exclude State sales tax.

Your statement about AUS import duties & taxes is not correct. GST is 10% plus a small Customs Fee. It is significantly cheaper than the EU for example. All other variances - after exchange rate calculations - are solely due to importer & reseller increased profit margins. As no stock of most high end products is held locally there is no justification for eye watering local RRP quoted - sigh - the price you pay for living in AUS.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Your statement about AUS import duties & taxes is not correct. GST is 10% plus a small Customs Fee. It is significantly cheaper than the EU for example. All other variances - after exchange rate calculations - are solely due to importer & reseller increased profit margins. As no stock of most high end products is held locally there is no justification for eye watering local RRP quoted - sigh - the price you pay for living in AUS.

I did some checking on this, import duties are 5% + fees, then there is a 10% GST. I'm not from Australia and I don't know how it works out in practice, but the slightly higher retail relative to Europe does not strike me as very out of place considering the very limited market and additional shipping costs / handling, especially relative to products manufactured in the EU free trade zone.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
I did some checking on this, import duties are 5% + fees, then there is a 10% GST. I'm not from Australia and I don't know how it works out in practice, but the slightly higher retail relative to Europe does not strike me as very out of place considering the very limited market and additional shipping costs / handling, especially relative to products manufactured in the EU free trade zone.
I don't know who does your checking but this is factually incorrect. There is no import duties of 5% - there is a fee that ranges from $33.00 AUS to $192.00 AUS - there is GST of 10% on the landed cost freight inclusive. I live in AUS & have imported HiFi equipment from around the world for over 20 years - from Dartzeel to Esoteric. The maximum you pay on the landed cost is GST of 10 % + $192.00 AUS. I have pasted the relevant web site for validation.

The reference to market size is the standard BS touted by some in the industry. I have demonstrated on numerous occasions to others – not on this forum – my landed cost in AUS $ versus what a reseller charges & that is based on the nominated retail price in another country. It is not a difficult calculation.

In summary the quoted retail price in AUS of a significant proportion of esoteric Hi Fi is based on what the market will bare with no justification for the calculated gross margins when no stock is carried by the reseller. It is one of the disadvantages of living “down under” & you learn to be creative when purchasing “high ticket” items.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
So this is incorrect?

https://intas.com.au/importing-business-goods-australia/

The import duty is based on 5% of the value of your goods converted to Australian dollars. To calculate the GST on imported goods, add the value of the goods in Australian dollars, plus freight, insurances and the import duty. The 10% GST is calculated on this total.

Edit: This example is incorrect?

For example, if you purchase jewellery for AUD$500, add the 5% customs duty $25 plus the cost of freight and insurances, say at $42. This gives a total of $567 plus a 10% GST of $56.70. The total cost of goods equals approximately $623.70.

Last edited:

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
So this is incorrect?

https://intas.com.au/importing-business-goods-australia/

The import duty is based on 5% of the value of your goods converted to Australian dollars. To calculate the GST on imported goods, add the value of the goods in Australian dollars, plus freight, insurances and the import duty. The 10% GST is calculated on this total.

Edit: This example is incorrect?

For example, if you purchase jewellery for AUD$500, add the 5% customs duty $25 plus the cost of freight and insurances, say at $42. This gives a total of $567 plus a 10% GST of $56.70. The total cost of goods equals approximately $623.70.

Yes it is - the example used is no longer applicable & if you read the AUS Govt website I posted you will find all the correct information. No more need be said.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Death and taxes. Only things guaranteed in life.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hello

The external crossovers of Botticelli X are not the same than the crossovers that are inside Botticelli. Both crossovers are using mainly Mundorf components, but in the external the physical size is bigger and there is a symmetrical topology: components both on + and - side of the crossover for the external crossovers.All the rest is the same.
The second difference is that the external crossover, of course, has 3 outputs that drive the ribbons directly, a purest approach. The third main difference is that the external crossovers are in a very rigid cabinet, massive cooper shielding is applied to protect the signal from EMI and RFi.
Appart of that, external filters have many outputs to deal with gain without potentiometer. This is a costly design but the purest for sure.
PHPAUDIO is proud to have the very first new version of the external crossovers that have even better components and more shielding than the previous units delivered before the end of October 2021. With these external filters next gen., Botticelli are much better speakers than with their internal Xovers. Having Botticelli for 2 years, paired with TENOR AUDIO amplifier then with AUDIONET Humboldt, I am found of their sound. Upgraded with external filters, especially the new ones, put Botticelli in an another league. For me it's the best speakers I have listen yet, at any price.

Attachments

• IMG_9822.jpg
    IMG_9822.jpg
    813.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Sure I do (don’t have a reason to change them) but please read my thoughts about them in various Cardas threads. Don’t want to further derail this one which will soon have more comments about Apogee than AlsyVox.
Hello,
I use PRANAWIRE AVATAR II speaker cables on my Botticelli X, they are extremely good. I must say that PRANAWIRE ARHAT is the second best I tried. Philippe

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Great! Have you experimented with other cables from crossovers to speakers? Those on photo look like original Omega Audio Concepts…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing