Alan Parsons Project - I, Robot (MFSL 1-1084)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After almost a year of eyeing this used NM++ copy at my favourite record shop, I finally broke down and bought it yesterday. It kinda hurt to lay out the $75 + taxes, but man what a sonic treat this is! This is my very first early Mofi pressing and it surprised me somewhat by it not being pressed on heavier stock. It feels like a standard pressing. No matter really as the SuperVinyl used by JVC Japan is as quiet and crystal clear as anything else I own on heavier weight ones. I think my new interest may be trying to secure more of these, I am THAT impressed with the quality.

Just wanted to share my absolute delight on this purchase! :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
After almost a year of eyeing this used NM++ copy at my favourite record shop, I finally broke down and bought it yesterday. It kinda hurt to lay out the $75 + taxes, but man what a sonic treat this is! This is my very first early Mofi pressing and it surprised me somewhat by it not being pressed on heavier stock. It feels like a standard pressing. No matter really as the SuperVinyl used by JVC Japan is as quiet and crystal clear as anything else I own on heavier weight ones. I think my new interest may be trying to secure more of these, I am THAT impressed with the quality.

Just wanted to share my absolute delight on this purchase! :D

The Classic as well as the original are quite good too and definitely a reference quality album!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Classic as well as the original are quite good too and definitely a reference quality album!

I just ordered the Classic Records version one...hopefully it'll come! I'd love to hear a comparison! Do you have both? How do they stack up against eachother?

EDIT: I have 4 orginal US/CAN pressings of this...seems weird, but I do!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just ordered the Classic Records version one...hopefully it'll come! I'd ove to hear a comparison! Do you have both? How do they stack up against eachother?

I don't have the MFSL. Also, haven't really compared the original with the Classic but at the price, I thought it was well worth the money :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't have the MFSL. Also, haven't really compared the original with the Classic but at the price, I thought it was well worth the money :)

I've always loved my orginal (it's a fave Lp of mine), but man...the Mofi absolutely destroys it! You should secure a copy!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I have an original I bought way back when and the UHQR that is sublime. Did you know Alan Parsons did the sound track to Lady Hawk?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have an original I bought way back when and the UHQR that is sublime. Did you know Alan Parsons did the sound track to Lady Hawk?

Hmmm...no,I wasn't aware of that.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I think there are some real gems in the early MFSL catalog. Among them, you might like...Rickie Lee Jones, Earl Klugh Finger Paintings, Earl Klugh two of a kind, Wes Montgomery Bumpin' , Super Sax plays Bird and maybe George Benson Breezin' ( although this one never struck me as being particularly well recorded, but if you like jazz guitar..:) )

The AP I robot MFSL Lp is what I compared my new 'supposed' 200 gram copy of Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman against. The I Robot trashed the Tea Lp in all areas, at least IMHO:eek:. BTW, the older MFSL's are all pressed on standard weight vinyl.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, I think there are some real gems in the early MFSL catalog. Among them, you might like...Rickie Lee Jones, Earl Klugh Finger Paintings, Earl Klugh two of a kind, Wes Montgomery Bumpin' , Super Sax plays Bird and maybe George Benson Breezin' ( although this one never struck me as being particularly well recorded, but if you like jazz guitar..:) )

The AP I robot MFSL Lp is what I compared my new 'supposed' 200 gram copy of Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman against. The I Robot trashed the Tea Lp in all areas, at least IMHO:eek:. BTW, the older MFSL's are all pressed on standard weight vinyl.

Thanks for that Davey! I'm a huge RLJ fan, so I'll be on the lookout for that one to be sure. I had George Benson Breezin' in my hands yesterday and was tempted as again, I'm a big fan. Maybe I should hold off though given your impression of the recording itself. The Earl Klugh's suggestions hold some interest for me indeed, but I'm not familiar enough with Wes Montgomery to take a big dollar plunge first time going in.

Luckily my dealer has quite a decent selection of these intial releases, including PF's DSOTM ($150 though...ouch).

Regarding the CS Tea LP...I concur with your sentiments entirely.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Some guy on the SH Forums claims that both the orginal UK pressing and the Classic Records pressing trumps the MFSL by a significant margin. I have ordered the Classic version (my dealer says his supplier has them in stock), so I'm looking forward to possibly making that comparison. Any thoughts on this claim by that SHF poster?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Some guy on the SH Forums claims that both the orginal UK pressing and the Classic Records pressing trumps the MFSL by a significant margin. I have ordered the Classic version (my dealer says his supplier has them in stock), so I'm looking forward to possibly making that comparison. Any thoughts on this claim by that SHF poster?

Always check www.themusic.com for the LPs first. Most of what's remaining from Classic's own stock can be found there and at cheaper prices than anywhere else. Their stock though is dwindling so suggest checking it out ASAP! There are still some ones to be had there!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Always check www.themusic.com for the LPs first. Most of what's remaining from Classic's own stock can be found there and at cheaper prices than anywhere else. Their stock though is dwindling so suggest checking it out ASAP! There are still some ones to be had there!

I can get it for $39.99 from my dealer, which works out cheaper than having it shipped from the U.S. to canada, polus the potential of extra duties and taxes. I did look however, and it's not listed.

BTW, I have ordered from them before (MO _Tubular Bells 200g)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I can get it for $39.99 from my dealer, which works out cheaper than having it shipped from the U.S. to canada, polus the potential of extra duties and taxes. I did look however, and it's not listed.

BTW, I have ordered from them before (MO _Tubular Bells 200g)

K get it :) Forget about the shipping and duties.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Was finally able to secure a copy of the Classic Records I, Robot, along with The Turn of a Friendly Card, and I'm hoping they'll get here by week's end. Another member at the SH Forums said the Classic is better than the Mofi. He went so far as to say the Mofi was painful to listen to after hearing the CR pressing. I have the Mofi and it isn't painful at all, but maybe the Cr is better....I'll find out soon enough.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Classic Records (180g) sealed copy of "I, Robot" finally arrived today, along with "The Turn Of A Friendly Card".

Being completely familiar with my orginal Canadian pressing and also that of the Mofi reissue copy I purchased a while back, I was anxious to listen to it. The opinions about those releases are all over the place, which is one reason why I wanted to secure the CR pressing. I am now able to do a direct comparison and provide my thoughts on each.

Original pressing:
An absolutely topnotch pressing that is quiet, clean and clear. For the guy that's not into audiophile pressings (for whatever reason) this is a more than acceptable pressing that will give you tremendous satisfaction.

Mofi reissue pressing:
Being such a huge fan of this album I thought I died and went to heaven when I cued it up for the time. I was stunned at the improved clarity and detail over the original. There are things you hear you've never heard before, especially on Side 2 with "The Voice". Amazing crescendo and clear as a bell panning from left to right. Beautiful.

Classic Records reissue:
Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out when I tell to leave because you prefer the Mofi release! Yes....this release is the one! More amazingly it only took me one song to discover this plain and simple fact. Listening to "The Voice" there is no doubt in my mind that the CR reissue is the best I've heard yet. Comparing it to the Mofi after 3 listens of each, the CR version is much more open and much less veiled. The Mofi seemed to have a dark cloud hanging above its head. That saddend me as I love my Mofi pressing of this, but ...the CR trumps it.

So for those who like Alan Parsons and this album in particular, I strongly recommend that you try and secure a copy of this amazing Classic Records 180-gram version.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My Classic Records (180g) sealed copy of "I, Robot" finally arrived today, along with "The Turn Of A Friendly Card".

Being completely familiar with my orginal Canadian pressing and also that of the Mofi reissue copy I purchased a while back, I was anxious to listen to it. The opinions about those releases are all over the place, which is one reason why I wanted to secure the CR pressing. I am now able to do a direct comparison and provide my thoughts on each.

Original pressing:
An absolutely topnotch pressing that is quiet, clean and clear. For the guy that's not into audiophile pressings (for whatever reason) this is a more than acceptable pressing that will give you tremendous satisfaction.

Mofi reissue pressing:
Being such a huge fan of this album I thought I died and went to heaven when I cued it up for the time. I was stunned at the improved clarity and detail over the original. There are things you hear you've never heard before, especially on Side 2 with "The Voice". Amazing crescendo and clear as a bell panning from left to right. Beautiful.

Classic Records reissue:
Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out when I tell to leave because you prefer the Mofi release! Yes....this release is the one! More amazingly it only took me one song to discover this plain and simple fact. Listening to "The Voice" there is no doubt in my mind that the CR reissue is the best I've heard yet. Comparing it to the Mofi after 3 listens of each, the CR version is much more open and much less veiled. The Mofi seemed to have a dark cloud hanging above its head. That saddend me as I love my Mofi pressing of this, but ...the CR trumps it.

So for those who like Alan Parsons and this album in particular, I strongly recommend that you try and secure a copy of this amazing Classic Records 180-gram version.

It's a sad reminder that rock albums used to have some dynamic range :(

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting post, John. While i like the MFSL I Robot very much, interestingly I do NOT think it is close to their best efforts. That accolade would probably fall to the Muddy Waters Folk Singer LP on 200 gram or the Getz/Gilberto of the same series, IMO. So, with that said, i will be very interested to see how the Classic copy of Muddy holds up to the MFSL. Anyone done this comparison? :confused:
I'm tempted to buy the Classic Muddy copy and see for myself. I will say this, IF the Classic can beat the MFSL Muddy, it must be one helluva recording!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting post, John. While i like the MFSL I Robot very much, interestingly I do NOT think it is close to their best efforts. That accolade would probably fall to the Muddy Waters Folk Singer LP on 200 gram or the Getz/Gilberto of the same series, IMO. So, with that said, i will be very interested to see how the Classic copy of Muddy holds up to the MFSL. Anyone done this comparison? :confused:
I'm tempted to buy the Classic Muddy copy and see for myself. I will say this, IF the Classic can beat the MFSL Muddy, it must be one helluva recording!

Folk Singer is on sale at www.themusic.com for $23 (?). A steal IMHO.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

This was the only title I could do a direct comparison with, so I can't say if the Classic Muddy is better, but at $23 like Myles said, it would be an interesting one for you to do and post your findings. I generally really like my MFSL pressings and I'll surely continue to buy more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing