AKM AK4490eq DAC chip

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Fine, you win. Enjoy your AK4490 DAC chip. I'm going to listen to my K-01X now.

Ciao,
Ken

Oh, you have one of those! Wow, the music must be something else. :cool: ...The K-01X is build like a T-Rex with a brand new set of teeth. Congrats Ken!
I bet you like Jazz ?

Cheerios, \
Bob

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I heard that the Esoteric DACs throw a small soundstage....

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Oh, you have one of those! Wow, the music must be something else. :cool: ...The K-01X is build like a T-Rex with a brand new set of teeth. Congrats Ken!
I bet you like Jazz ?

Cheerios, \
Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, I got it a few weeks ago. I love its musicality. It produces music with tremendous ease and a very relaxed non-fatiguing sound. Music has terrific body with wonderful midrange musical density. It is very linear with excellent bass and treble extension. It also produces a high level of resolution with speed and powerful dynamics. The K-01X produces an expansive soundstage with much more air around instruments and vocalists than prior Esoteric DACs.

You're right, I do love jazz. I was just listening to Jimmy Cobb's Jazz in the Key of Blue. My favorite Chesky SACD.

Best,
Ken

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Bob,

Yes, I got it a few weeks ago. I love its musicality. It produces music with tremendous ease and a very relaxed non-fatiguing sound. Music has terrific body with wonderful midrange musical density. It is very linear with excellent bass and treble extension. It also produces a high level of resolution with speed and powerful dynamics. The K-01X produces an expansive soundstage with much more air around instruments and vocalists than prior Esoteric DACs.

You're right, I do love jazz. I was just listening to Jimmy Cobb's Jazz in the Key of Blue. My favorite Chesky SACD. \

Best,
Ken

Awesome Ken; you're the type of guy I'd like to hang around with and trade/exchange music. /

? Your username, Alpinist; you are a mountain climber? \

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Awesome Ken; you're the type of guy I'd like to hang around with and trade/exchange music. /

? Your username, Alpinist; you are a mountain climber? \

Bob,

It's fun sharing great jazz selections, so many gems out there.

Yes, I am a mountain climber. I've climbed lots of peaks in the Canadian Rockies and Bugaboos, and quite a few in the Alps as well.

Best,
Ken

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was a treeplanter for almost thirty years. ...Putting couple thousand trees in the ground every single day, sometime more sometime less.
But not @ high elevation, max around 7,000 feet. ...And everything below, down to almost sea level in some areas.

Last edited:

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
...using ultra low phase noise clocks (-114Dbc @ 10hz)...

Blizzard, that's quite the impressive close-in phase noise spec. Is this a custom clock circuit, or some commercially available module? If it's custom, what circuit details can you provide? If it's commercial available, what is the module's identity? Thanks.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi Bob,

You're right, I do love jazz. I was just listening to Jimmy Cobb's Jazz in the Key of Blue. My favorite Chesky SACD.

Best,
Ken

Congrats on the new player. Sounds like it is a significant step forward vs the last gen. I have a K-03 and love it. Also that Cobb SACD is excellent, great choice!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard, that's quite the impressive close-in phase noise spec. Is this a custom clock circuit, or some commercially available module? If it's custom, what circuit details can you provide? If it's commercial available, what is the module's identity? Thanks.

It's the NDK NZ2520SD. If you sort and measure an entire reel of 500, you'll find about 4 or 5 that measure this good. But, if you don't, you don't know what your getting. The phase noise of these clocks can vary +- 15db from clock to clock. It takes 2 hours to measure each clock, and a $100000 machine to do it.

http://www.ndk.com/en/products/search/clock/1187861_1433.html

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great photo! We got a private tour of the studio and got to walk around the Back to the Future set, take pictures by the Delorean, etc...its funny because its not life size, its like 7/8th size or something.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Congrats on the new player. Sounds like it is a significant step forward vs the last gen. I have a K-03 and love it. Also that Cobb SACD is excellent, great choice!

Thanks! It was much more of an improvement than I anticipated. The K-03 is a terrific sounding digital player, one of the best. Jazz in the Key of Blue has three of my favorite musicians on it: Jimmy Cobb - Drums, Roy Hargrove - Fluglehorn and Trumpet, and Russell Malone - Guitar.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great photo! We got a private tour of the studio and got to walk around the Back to the Future set, take pictures by the Delorean, etc...its funny because its not life size, its like 7/8th size or something.

The Secret Cinema's Back to the Future was fun. Actors enacting scenes in person while the movie is being played on a giant screen outdoors. There were a lot of claps and cheers, kind of like watching a live sports match.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Running DACs in mono/parallel gives better sound. Teac is doing that in their new NT-503 DAC/network player. Check out: http://audio.teac.com/product/nt-503/
Something like $1000. You could add low jitter clocks, super discrete output stages, better regulators, better parts, Mad Scientist Magic Tubes and other such cool tweak things and have a really excellent DAC/player.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Running DACs in mono/parallel gives better sound. Teac is doing that in their new NT-503 DAC/network player. Check out: http://audio.teac.com/product/nt-503/
Something like $1000. You could add low jitter clocks, super discrete output stages, better regulators, better parts, Mad Scientist Magic Tubes and other such cool tweak things and have a really excellent DAC/player.

Looks awesome on paper. ...And the design (exterior) looks very sweet too. ...Plus it is very affordable.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Or you can design something much better from scratch :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing