AKM AK4490eq DAC chip

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well yea... Better THD a tiny bit worse SN. Higher DSD rate. Exact same family... Maybe a Bat could tell the difference in sound. :)

Sounds like you compared the 2 datasheets throughly, as well as compared both in critical listening tests. I guess the chip they been working years on is a flop because only a bat could tell the difference from the predecessor.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Well yea... Better THD a tiny bit worse SN. Higher DSD rate. Exact same family... Maybe a Bat could tell the difference in sound. :)

+1

AK4490EQ = AK4495EQ + DSD 256

Soon the AK4497 chip will come out that will be slightly better than both. And so on, and so on, and so on...

The analog gain stage of the DAC will make far more difference than this chip.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
+1

AK4490EQ = AK4495EQ + DSD 256

Soon the AK4497 chip will come out that will be slightly better than both. And so on, and so on, and so on...

The analog gain stage of the DAC will make far more difference than this chip.

They made other big differences besides DSD 256.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Big differences? You're delusional dude.

It's not simply the addition of DSD 256 support. It a completely different chip. Half the size as well. It has the new "OSR doubler" circuitry that greatly improves performance, 256x oversampling vs 128. Improved filter algorithms, and massive drop in THD+N.

These are all things that make it a completely different chip, that sounds much better.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
It's not simply the addition of DSD 256 support. It a completely different chip. Half the size as well. It has the new "OSR doubler" circuitry that greatly improves performance, 256x oversampling vs 128. Improved filter algorithms, and massive drop in THD+N.

These are all things that make it a completely different chip, that sounds much better.

Oh please... I believe the filters are pretty much the same, and how much difference are we REALLY! talking about. Maybe you should stick to writing fiction... Hey maybe you cab be the audio version of Stephen King... Heres Johnny...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Oh please... I believe the filters are pretty much the same, and how much difference are we REALLY! talking about. Maybe you should stick to writing fiction... Hey maybe you cab be the audio version of Stephen King... Heres Johnny...

Glad to here you have preformed a detailed hands on assessment of both chips. I suppose anyone following this thread can follow your advice with confidence.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Glad to here you have preformed a detailed hands on assessment of both chips. I suppose anyone following this thread can follow your advice with confidence.

People need to be warned of too much false misleading info that you are posting. You post as if your opinions are facts handed down from GOD!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
People need to be warned of too much false misleading info that you are posting. You post as if your opinions are facts handed down from GOD!

Nobody's obligated to listen to what I share. My best advice is to consult unbiased industry leaders for verification, and never put much weight on forum posters.

With your wealth of knowledge, maybe you should start a fan club.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Looks like a nice design. Is this yours?

Something similar to what you talking about. Maybe if you were more even handed there could be actual useful discussion.

Nothing is as bad, or as good as you claim. There must be a middle ground.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Something similar to what you talking about. Maybe if you were more even handed there could be actual useful discussion.

Nothing is as bad, or as good as you claim. There must be a middle ground.

Intelligent people realize there's different levels of quality when it comes to each individual aspect of every design. When building products to a price point, the designer must choose which areas to put more into, and which areas to sacrifice.

The balance of these aspects makes the end result. However this doesn't mean that there isn't smarter ways to do things that don't cost more.

Maybe a more useful discussion could be had with someone who's main mission wasn't to troll.

Last edited:

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

I had the opportunity to hear the K-01X DAC (AK4495S chip) and K-05X DAC (AK4490 chip) through the same system. The K-05X is a fine sounding DAC but the K-01X DAC sounded significantly better in every way. It wasn't even close. My point is that 8 DACs per channel, separate mono power supplies and 35 bit processing of the K-01X DAC make far more of a difference than any improvement provided by the AK4490 chip over the AK4495S chip.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Of course, because of the implementation. Same with the Burrr-Brown PCM-1704K DACs (Trinity architecture - 8x) versus the B-B PCM-1792E DSD DACs.

My point exactly. The implementation is much more important. Far too much emphasis is being placed on modest performance differences of the DAC chip. It is just one piece of the puzzle.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I had the opportunity to hear the K-01X DAC (AK4495S chip) and K-05X DAC (AK4490 chip) through the same system. The K-05X is a fine sounding DAC but the K-01X DAC sounded significantly better in every way. It wasn't even close. My point is that 8 DACs per channel, separate mono power supplies and 35 bit processing of the K-01X DAC make far more of a difference than any improvement provided by the AK4490 chip over the AK4495S chip.

Yeah the extra $15000 better buy you extra performance. Not really an apples to apple comparison. In apples to apples comparisons, the 4490 is the clear winner. As I mentioned earlier, the reason the 4495 is in the K-01X, is because that DAC was released before the AK4490 was released.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Yeah the extra $15000 better buy you extra performance. Not really an apples to apple comparison. In apples to apples comparisons, the 4490 is the clear winner. As I mentioned earlier, the reason the 4495 is in the K-01X, is because that DAC was released before the AK4490 was released.

Fine, you win. Enjoy your AK4490 DAC chip. I'm going to listen to my K-01X now.

Ciao,
Ken

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Fine, you win. Enjoy your AK4490 DAC chip. I'm going to listen to my K-01X now.

Ciao,
Ken

This isn't a competition. The AK4490 is simply a higher end chip than the 4495. This thread is about the AK4490 chip. Not about comparing complete dac's that cost $15000 apart that have different chips.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing