Aidas Cartridges arrive at Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am happy to announce that Solypsa Audio has taken on North American distribution for Aidas Svazas' wonderful cartridges. Hand made by the maestro in Lithuania.

These carts are all 'MK2 - 22' latest versions.

First to arrive is the highest and best model, the Mammoth Gold mk2 with 24kt gold generator windings. Demo Mammoth Gold mk2.jpg

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Nice looking. Did you get any of the Rainbow series yet?

What is the cantilever. Can you safely use a magic eraser to keep it clean?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Rainbow models coming in very soon.

Aidas carts feature Boron cantilever with Micro Ridge stylus. I use ME on mine ( and on many Ogura and Namiki Boron assemblies, as used on many carts, for some time now, with good results ). YMMV

Last edited:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hey Erik; welcome aboard! It is great to hear that you have got NA distributorship for these wonderful cartridges, they certainly deserve to be considered in the upper echelon's of MC pick up's, such is their 'rightness of sound'..

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend was distributor in Italy of these cartridges,i listen from him a medium model,i dont remember which,and was a very natural cartridges,a little on warm side,and i listened the Mammouth,i dont know if was mk II or not and this was very excellent,natural and a rich sound with very good details,a kind of sound similar to the top Mijiaima

Reactions: Solypsa

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've had the Aidas Mammoth Gold Mk2 cartridge (on loan) in my system for a week now, courtesy of Eric of (WBF member) Solypsa, the N.A. distributor. thank you Eric.

the Mammoth is mounted on my Durand Tosca/Saskia, tracking at 1.9gms, playing through the CS Port phono and EM/IA SUT. it's just started breaking in and only has 6-7 hours on it. the Mammoth tusk ivory body is really a thing of beauty to look at, and has a wonderful solid 'right' feel to hold.

i am enjoying what i'm hearing. early impressions include a nice balance and 'rightness', notably powerful bottom octaves and bass articulation. this is a 'serious' level cartridge. Tuesday my CS Port phono is being sent to it's new owner, and my EM/IA phono is arriving by week's end, so i will need to navigate those changes before more time on the Mammoth.

Adia M1 (1 of 1).jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A few comments from a new owner of the Gala Gold cart, made over first week of use, after replacing Benz LP-S MR ( Gala is ~12% more costly vs LPS ):

'I'm really enjoying this Aidas Gold! There's a kiss of midrange magic and sustain that is especially noticeable on acoustic guitars. I played "Friday Night in San Francisco" on 45 RPM and was almost mesmerized by the rich timbre and sustain of the acoustics. This is not a knock on the Benz, it did very well, but guitars seem to have more body with the Aidas.'

'It's amazing how much more treble is coming through vs when I first mounted the Aidas, the initial treble sparkle has filled out (ride cymbals decay more wholesomely) Overall, there is just a bit more detail vs the LPS, but in no way does the Aidas come across as"clinical" or boring. It's really a seductive listen One trait is that is is LESS forgiving than the Benz, which is more than fine by me. Benz tends to homogenize sound somewhat, and impart its qualities over recordings. The Gala, even with its midrange magic that deviates just a hair from neutral, does get more out of the way. The Gala is just a lovely cart.'

'With the Aidas, loading at 300 ohms sounds fantastic, just a bit of sparkle with a creamy midrange. Bass is better than the LPS, which was no slouch. Loving it!'

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Mammoth Gold at Munich this weekend:
mammoth at munich.jpg
Taking a ride on a J Sikora, room f217. Unfortunately I am not there :(
Screenshot_20220521-130914_Browser.png

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1 and Uk Paul

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Baby Mammoth Gold - both a little lighter and smaller in size. Aidas designed this one for air bearing tonearms Baby Mammoth R.jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Announcement from Aidas Cartridges:

Regarding customers of Aidas Cartridges that purchased a cartridge prior to 2020 and now need repairs or service, they must visit the official Lithuania factory website and find an authorized dealer.
Screenshot_20220804-075629_Browser.png
Announcement here

This is, I am told, in response to reports of cartridge owners having trouble when using prior distribution network agents to properly facilitate repair services.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Aidas CU Durawood multi.jpg
CU Durawood Multicolor on Clearaudio

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A happy repair story ( as far as that sort of thing can be happy ;) ) -

My client accidentally damaged his AU series cart and on inspection the coil lead out wires had been damaged and the coils needed to be rewound.

* Turnaround time under two weeks
* Cost to rewind ( gold wire ) generator, test and return 2 day air under $500

I feel that this type of service is very important when investing in a great cartridge and really proud to stand with a company like Aidas Cartridges that feels same.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Just installed my brand new Durawood copper. Set the VTF, then aligned and put it into the groove. Eric said I need at least 6 hours minimum to start hearing it. 200 hours is much better.

Once it has 200 hour I'm sending it to JR at WAM engineering to get the zenith. Then I will dial it in and really listen.

Attachments

• 20221025_161935.jpg
    20221025_161935.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 8

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have about 10 album sides on it. I'm very happy so far. It shows real promise. The very first thing that struck me is the sound is further into the corners.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The cart is doing well. It has about 30 album sides through it. It already lets a good pressing shine. Bad pressings are more noteable as bad.

Reactions: bonzo75

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
some pics of a rare, but nice set up:

Kuzma Safir 9 and Aidas Mammoth Gold MKII

IMG_1210.jpg IMG_1212.jpg IMG_1211.jpg IMG_1209.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing