Aidas Cartridges arrive at Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
some pics of a rare, but nice set up:

Kuzma Safir 9 and Aidas Mammoth Gold MKII
@shakti you are getting deeper and deeper into analog and setup! I am envious of those that can attend your events ( or are they parties !?! ) So many flavors :)

Puroplatino

Jun 11, 2021
Just installed my brand new Durawood copper. Set the VTF, then aligned and put it into the groove. Eric said I need at least 6 hours minimum to start hearing it. 200 hours is much better.

Once it has 200 hour I'm sending it to JR at WAM engineering to get the zenith. Then I will dial it in and really listen.
I’m hearing a lot about this Zenith adjustment from WAM. I am in Italy and was curious as to if anyone in Europe could do this? Thanks for answering? Also what do they do? Make a shim for the headshell or…

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
WAM is the only company I know of.

Its pretty inexpensive to send a cartridge across the pond. You need a Zenith tool when you get it back. The shims are nice if you have headshell that are cartridge or the arm has no azimuth.
If you have a fully adjuatable tone arm, then you don't need a shim.

Puroplatino

Jun 11, 2021
WAM is the only company I know of.

Its pretty inexpensive to send a cartridge across the pond. You need a Zenith tool when you get it back. The shims are nice if you have headshell that are cartridge or the arm has no azimuth.
If you have a fully adjuatable tone arm, then you don't need a shim.
The cost doesn’t scare me but rather losing these two new carts does. These are the best I’ve ever purchased and way more than I would have ever thought of spending so to lose them would really suck. I might be able to get over this and just send one at a time, yeah that could work. How big of a difference does this Zenith make? It’s kind of a new thing and I can’t quantify what would change. Thanks for answering.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I also have this cartridge on an SME 3012R. A top notch combination. Here is my review of it on a 4Point; if I'd had the SME last year I would have been a bit more hyperbolic in my enthusiasm for it.

some pics of a rare, but nice set up:

Kuzma Safir 9 and Aidas Mammoth Gold MKII

View attachment 105972 View attachment 105969 View attachment 105970 View attachment 105971

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Its not just Zenith. Its SRA and Azimuth. You have a very solid understanding of how the diamond is set. You can tweek by ear after the initial setup. But you know you are very close if not dead on when you start.

Without using WAM, I paid 2 pro to come to my house and set my cart up. After WAM, and knowing the Zenith, Azimuth and SRA, the sound is much more clean. Better detail. I would not say a die hard vinyl junkie could not do it by ear with hours and hours of intensive concentrated tweaking and listening, tweaking more and listening more. Some people have the ear and patience. With a WAM analyzed cartridge, you start from a place of knowing how the cart is misaligned from the factory and your initial setup with tools is very close if not dead on to optimum. Then go ahead and tweak to see if you can get better.

If you have a fixed headshell, tonearm like a Rega, there is no substitute for having WAM make you shims.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing