Aesthetix Io Users Group

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Not sure what you are referring to. I have an Io Eclipse, but have not added any damping material inside. The side panels are vented grills.
@oldvinyl

In this picture you posted, on the interior of the chassis is what appears to be some taped down or glued down material. My assumption it is that is damping material on the chassis rail. My IO does not have that material on the interior chassis rail.
1606098430462.jpeg

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
@oldvinyl

In this picture you posted, on the interior of the chassis is what appears to be some taped down or glued down material. My assumption it is that is damping material on the chassis rail. My IO does not have that material on the interior chassis rail.
View attachment 71762
That is actually velcro to secure the top lid. Nothing high tech.

Reactions: audioquest4life

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I cleaned the tube pins and sockets, cables and connectors on my amp today. Doing the Io and the amps is an additive effect. Also cleaned all the AC power plugs and sockets.

Here is the amp.
View attachment 71753
What exactly is the sonic benefit after cleaning pins.

kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just clean all your tube pins, cable connectors and plug them back. Once a every few weeks when you remember and have time. Maybe once every few months

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just clean all your tube pins, cable connectors and plug them back. Once a every few weeks when you remember and have time. Maybe once every few months
You should use cotton bud cleaning your ears every now and then too Ked. That should gives much more effect than cleaning tube pins.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
That is actually velcro to secure the top lid. Nothing high tech.
Okay, I guess my expectations were driving my conclusion. But, I do have some ideas about using 3M on my chassis when returns from Asthetix in its partial Eclipse form.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
What exactly is the sonic benefit after cleaning pins.

kind regards,
Tang
The cleaning applies to pins, sockets, cables (power and signal), outlet (with AC off), connectors.

Cleaning removes oxidation. This results in a better conduction of electricity, better ground connection.

Benefits: ultra quiet inky jet black background, significant reduction of noise floor, better coherence of sound, more palpable imaging, improves detail (without negative side-effect), smoother high frequency. In short - everything we like about high end audio improves.

Note that this works for solid state amps, power conditioners, and CD players too (cleaning their connectors and cables).

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The cleaning applies to pins, sockets, cables (power and signal), outlet (with AC off), connectors.

Cleaning removes oxidation. This results in a better conduction of electricity, better ground connection.

Benefits: ultra quiet inky jet black background, significant reduction of noise floor, better coherence of sound, more palpable imaging, improves detail (without negative side-effect), smoother high frequency. In short - everything we like about high end audio improves.

Note that this works for solid state amps, power conditioners, and CD players too (cleaning their connectors and cables).
And maybe all those evaporating cleaning fluids add a small high that also enhances the sound experience ! ;)

Reactions: christoph

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Oldvinyl, thanks for your photos of the cleaning process - very useful. Kcin - you mentioned other methods, with maybe less work?
I will not start cleaning next weekend, but I will do it, the next time I need to open the boxes. Oldvinyl's post made me think of an interview I read with the Lyra cartridge people, Jonathan Carr perhaps, about the need to clean all contacts in the system, and do it thoroughly.

Oldvinyl - your shot shows "standoffs to allow clearance needed for KT66s (in place of EL34)." I have not done this modification in my power supplies. Is there overall agreement that the 66 sounds better than the 34? Plusses and minuses?

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Oldvinyl, thanks for your photos of the cleaning process - very useful. Kcin - you mentioned other methods, with maybe less work?
I will not start cleaning next weekend, but I will do it, the next time I need to open the boxes. Oldvinyl's post made me think of an interview I read with the Lyra cartridge people, Jonathan Carr perhaps, about the need to clean all contacts in the system, and do it thoroughly.

Oldvinyl - your shot shows "standoffs to allow clearance needed for KT66s (in place of EL34)." I have not done this modification in my power supplies. Is there overall agreement that the 66 sounds better than the 34? Plusses and minuses?
The only overall agreement in audio is that there is no overall agreement.

Try a Google search for "aesthetix io kt66" or "aesthetix io tube roll" etc. Lots of different opinions.

In my experience, it was well worth it. Bass was tighter and more defined, overall the presentation of loud passages were more relaxed. I have quads of factory matched KT-66s that I bought 20 years ago when they were still reasonably available and priced. If I were going to do it today, I would start with something like the Gold Lion KT-66. For $100 per power supply, this can easily be tried. If the result is favorable to the listener - then enjoy.

thazeldean

Mar 1, 2013
I have an Aesthetix Io Eclipse with single power supply and no volume controls which I have owned for about 5 years. I use balanced cables to go from the Io output to an Allnic preamp. I love the sound and do not find it noisy as some have stated. A couple of years back I had some trouble with the unit and took it to a repair facility on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. The repair man previously worked for Naim in England but couldn't repair the unit due to not having circuit diagrams. After some initial misunderstandings, I returned the unit to Jim and Glenn in the US. Just want to give them a shout out for how professional they have been and what they did to get the unit back up and running. I have had the unit back for about six months now and the sound has improved considerably over that time. I made a mistake and left it powered up for a fortnight while I was away and this has actually improved the sound considerably. Who said burn in doesn't make any difference.
Anyway, thanks to Jim and Glenn for their repair work and the supply for the additional set of tubes. They have restored my faith in American High End audio manufacturers.

Reactions: oldvinyl

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing