Aesthetix Io Users Group

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I agree that a preamp used within the context of the Io is user dependent. I have used the Io with volume controls for some years and have experimented with other pre amps in the chain including Calisto.

I have said elsewhere whether it works for you or not will be based on the overall gain structure of your cartridge-Io-amp-speaker- room interface. Every time I tried with a preamp of any type- I could not live with it vis a vis the Io with VC alone.

Of course, your mileage may vary. On tubes- NOS has always had better tonality, texture and sense of space for me. Quiet ones are possible, either you have stock to sort through your own or you pay someone to do it for you.

The LPS in 1 &2 are the best bet for long term noise free performance for current production. At the end of the day all the Sovtek types have a signature and the LPS is the best of them.. Sovtek now have a 7025 which is new that some of my contacts say is very good and not noisy ... maybe an alternative?

I have Teslovaks from the 70's that are very good but not as good as Telefunken. Failing all that Ei's from the 80's can be quite good and are not that expensive... maybe hard to find now possibly because charlatans are labeling them as Telelfunkens!

For OGH I would definitely consider paying someone to noise test 4 Telefunkens ( if they suit you) for V1&V2 x2 . The Io is like an F1 car. Extraordinary , however, requires your full attention and the best of everything.
Kcin - 7025's are a great choice. They were designed to be a lower noise 12AX7 variant. They work great in the Io (the older RCA's). Have not tried any newer 7025's yet. Keep us posted.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I received a new batch of low noise and matched Sovtek 12AX7LPS and Gold Lion equivalents. It will be about 4 hours before I get to test them due to some wife errands I have to do. Happy wife happy life, LOL.

@OGH,

Your impression about the LPS used in the first gain stage and your remarks about the harmony of the Telefunkens has given me an idea. After reading Oldvinyl‘s data points about the various gain stages in the Io, I am going to do a single vice a pair swap into the V1 locations to see how it sounds. I did this experiment years ago but did not have great tubes to see how it sounds. You may want to try a tele in the same way. As long as the technical parameters of the tube are the same, you should have no problems. I will also try this as well later today.

Preamps...yes, that is the question of the day. And the subject is covered enough with lots of pros and cons. At the end of the day, and what I take away from the vast majority of discussions, is that using a preamp is system and user dependent.

Ironically, I tested the Einstein years ago and quickly concluded that it had that somewhat of that SS nature that you spoke of. Nope, not for me. To clarify, it did sound good for the type of topology that is used with that system. Probably one of the finest sounding for this type of topology. It’s sonic character did not mesh with my own formulated opinions of what I liked in tube sound. This was compared to the Octave HP500SE that I owned at the time with built in phono stage. I also owned the Io. When I heard a friend systems who had the entire Octave Jubilee system, I was hooked. I was able to find a gently used Jubilee preamp and the rest is history. My friend had a Pass Labs top of the line phono stage and we both agreed that each type of phono system, tube or solid state have their own sonic signature traits and strength.

I cannot wait to test these new tubes.
audioquest4life - my drawing was not accurate. The V1 and V2 are not shown correctly. Both V1 and V2 should be selected for low noise to ensure that overall noise figure is kept low.

As far as Io and preamp - some people like/prefer it, others not. I have tried to select components for neutrality and transparency. I tried a preamp once with the Io and quickly disconnected it. Not to my taste.

Reactions: Kcin

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I have Teslovaks from the 70's that are very good but not as good as Telefunken. Failing all that Ei's from the 80's can be quite good and are not that expensive... maybe hard to find now possibly because charlatans are labeling them as Telelfunkens!

I have about a dozen of the Teslovaks....I currently have them installed and will do a comparison with the new LPS and Gold Lions.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
This post is a running update.

Initial impressions with the Sovtek LPS....well, they are ticking all of the right notes and seemingly make the music sound more holographic compared to the Teslovaks. Granted, these are new, but, the LPS exude a texture in the vocals that stand out. This will only get better as they break in.

For noise, “What Noise?”. Really, I do not have any noise at all, just melancholy from the music. I put on an old record, Yvonne Elleman, and played “If I can’t have you” and it was sounding pretty good, along with all of the other songs on this side of the LP. Actually, as I sit here and listen, the tubes are still warming, but as they warm, I am hearing the vocals in a more enchanting way. That’s the way I like it. Golly, this phono amp can get so intimate, it gets under your skin and gives you goosebumps when everything is just right. Many of you Io owners have came to the same conclusion.

1.5 hours in. My next LP, was the Tube Only ViOlin by Tacet. It is an all analog recording Using Neumann M49 mics. Made in Germany. With the noise floor so low, you can hear the recording space better and with more details. Splendid, dynamic, and something better to listen to during the daytime or when you want to rock, ala, classical style. The violins swell up in energy on this album and have some soft passages. The dynamic range of your system will be tested when the violinist goes full bore. It’s actually quite lovely to listen to. Mix in a drink or two and enjoy.

2.5 hours. Supertramp, Breakfast in America. Song, Child of Vision. A different type of music altogether. Yes, I have very eclectic tastes in music. With 8500 plus records, I can choose from a variety of music to suit my musical mood. This song tests ones systems ability to play dynamic rock piano and to hear drums traverse across the musical playing field on the opening beat.

I also did a quick DB test at the listening position, max DB was 94, loud, average 84. When music ended, DB readings dropped to between 34-39. Ambient room noise With No volume, room is about 26. I used an IPhone DB app. I could not find my Radio Shack sound meter.

For now, I am satisfied with the LPS sound as used in the first gain stage. This also endorses my initial in depth review of the Io in 2006 or 08 when I was on a tube rolling roll, no pun intended, LOL.

I will leave these in for a week then I will swap in the Gold Lions and make a comparative analysis With the GL‘s.

Reactions: Kcin

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
You don't need a volume control version of the Io to test plus and minus with a preamp. It is just that it makes fine-tuning possible.

Here is a possible test method:

1 Set the internal Io output so it sounds optimal with your current setup (adjusted for your current cartridge) if not done already.
2 Check that you can use this output directly into the amp(s) (may be too loud, be ready to turn off).
3 Check that the sound is OK going right into the amp(s), with no problems, e g overload - if so, go down on the Io gain, on the internal switches, if the sound seems too weak, try a step up.
4 Try with / without a preamp in the chain, varying the volume so the Io/preamp mix sounds best. Measure noise, if possible (see method above) and also write down listener impressions.
5 Compare the listener + noise results from inserting a preamp, to the Io direct to the amp(s) results.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I have now taken out my Telefunkens due to their noise even in the second gain stage, and have re-inserted the JJs that were supplied by Aesthetix in 2017. Low noise has become my first priority. It remains to be seen how much I like the LPS in the first gain stage with the JJs in the second. The LPS need some more playing time I believe.

Noise measuring - testing with my Huawei p30 phone, the apps I download show very different measures, compared to my Velleman Analogue Sound Level Meter that I bought in 2013. It is the same as the Radio shack sound meter 33-205, from what I read. Not a big investment. It is much more in line with what I hear, than the two apps I tried, “SPL Meter” and “Sound meter”, on my phone.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Teslovak - I think those were the first gain stage tubes that I got from Aesthetix in the stock tube set, back in 2012. We never became friends. So I invested in costly Telefunken NOS for the first gain stage, in 2013. The Teslovaks were quite low noise, although not as good as later stock tubes, and in terms of musicality, I was not impressed. Never looked back when I got the Telefunken quad, which had acceptable noise in the first years.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Noise can be measured in many ways of course. I might use my Rode mic into a soundcard / laptop and analyze with REW for example. But even if it is interesting to find a ca "acceptable S/N ratio", it is actually my ears that decide. If low noise was all I cared for, I would have bought another phono stage. Now, with good new production tubes in stage one and two, noise is acceptably low. For me, this is the "no worry" point. So, I am looking for NOS in the first gain stage that dont exceed this low noise level. In contact with some potential sellers.

I looked in my audio logg regarding the Telefunken quad I bought (from Brent Jessee) in 2013, and have used in the first gain stage. These tubes have always worked very well in terms of musicality, the best I have heard so far (limited experience with NOS, though). It was only after 3 years or so that I started to worry about the noise. However, in those years I followed a philosophy of "keeping the Io on" even if not using it, since it had the optimal sound when warmed up for some hours. So, the Io was on maybe 10 hours a day, eating away the tube life quite quickly. In 2017 it was on repair at the factory, and later, I have reversed my philosphy - only turn the Io on when actually listening to music, or at most, half an hour before.

Last edited:
Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I only turn on the Io when I am using it. Warm up for a good hour, eine stunde, Afterwards,
let the music flow. It is so interesting to hear the audible changes in sound quality as the Io warms up.

Your experiences with the NOS Teles in the first gain stage endorses that of others, using NOS in the Io is glorious.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Yes, I also think 30-60 minutes of warm up is good advice.

Keeping the Io on, when not in use, not only eats up tube life, but also increases the chance of "wear and tear plus heat" type of problems, over time - in my experience. Like the soldering in the volume controls going bad. I am not blaming Aesthetix for this - it happened after ten years of heavy use, with suboptimal ventilation. It wont happen again - I have installed silent computer fans, on the wall, behind the Io.

I also agree that it is well worth it, searching for the best NOS tubes in the most important positions in the Io. Yes, this can sound glorious.

Still, my ears are now very open to the best sound from the LPS / JJ combination (stage 1 and 2) I that I test now. E g I don't listen for what these new production tubes do "wrong" compared to my former Telefunken NOS, but what they do "right", instead. I don't want to get stuck in NOS nostalgia.

Last edited:

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Still, my ears are now very open to the best sound from the LPS / JJ combination (stage 1 and 2) I that I test now. E g I don't listen for what these new production tubes do "wrong" compared to my former Telefunken NOS, but what they do "right", instead. I don't want to get stuck in NOS nostalgia.

LOL. In 15 years the Sovteks 12AX7LPS will be NOS. For now, my test with the new low noise and matched LPS with the new Aesthetix JJs sounds pretty good to me. Will definitely experiment when I find the time with NOS. But as a good baseline, I am happy with the sound. It is mesmerizing.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Nice to hear, and maybe interesting for other Io users, that Audioquest4life and I - totally independent of each other - seem to be drifting in the same directions.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I wrote an Ebay seller of expensive Telefunken ECC83: can you test them for noise?
Answer: "I think I cannot help you in this question because I don'h have the equipment to test exactly for noise. In my ears these tubes have no noise, but with your ears it could be different. I aslo think that noise depends on the amp you use. Some amps produce more noise other amps produce less (or no) noise, if there is no signal and the volume-knob is on full loudness."

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I wrote an Ebay seller of expensive Telefunken ECC83: can you test them for noise?
Answer: "I think I cannot help you in this question because I don'h have the equipment to test exactly for noise. In my ears these tubes have no noise, but with your ears it could be different. I aslo think that noise depends on the amp you use. Some amps produce more noise other amps produce less (or no) noise, if there is no signal and the volume-knob is on full loudness."
I would stay away from that vendor. To many red flags. The vendor can’t test the tubes which means that they are mostly being sold for a profit, as is, and no guarantee. Also, the mention of noise at large with different amps and hearing is an attempt to mask the fact that the vendor cannot test the tubes and mentions that low Noise for this vendor may not be low noise for you. Run, run, far away. A few posts back, someone posted that Andy at Vintage Tube Services was able to get tubes for the Io. I called and left a message. He is busy and won’t be in contact until Friday.

Last edited:

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Yes, stay away... Here is from another seller with 10 Tele's that "test good strong":
"Sorry sir, I don’t have such equipment. Also my tube tester got damaged recently so I cannot do any testing.
Regards!"
Seems a bit strange, doesn't it - I cannot find a seller who can test them for noise. Maybe the sad truth is that the silent ones are now long gone. Now where is my time machine, I would like an hour in the factory in Ulm, ca 1966! I'll bring two full bags back to all of you, promise!

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
The Amplitrex 1000 is a better tester. It tests both output tubes including 845 and smaller tubes. You don't have to buy two units. It also tests for emissions which the other one says is dangerous and doesn't do. It also applies a higher plate voltage to test for higher accuracy. It also has a built in headphone jack for tube noise no speaker needed.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thanks Jeffy. Is the Amplitrex noise test good enough to find the ultra low noise 12ax7s needed in the Io first gain stage? I have heard some people say that the only way to really test this, is in the Io itself.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
looks like i'll be hanging around this thread.

just bought a used Aesthetix Io Eclipse, dual power supplies, volume pots, and one analog input. it will be on the way to Aesthetix in Calif for a going over. then on to me. looks to be in excellent condition. excited to get it in my room and find a place to put the beast. i do have space for three warm boxes. i know i need to keep the power supplies away from the preamp section.

tubes are said to be in top shape, not used much. but i'm sure i'll learn i have to get better one's. o_O might switch the analog input to a second phono. we will see. i did own an Io back in the day, from 1999 to 2001. loved it then.

i already have 2 phonos in my dart preamp, and three phono channels with my CS Port phono, two of which are with SUT's those are all very very low noise. the Io will be less quiet, but bigger and bolder. a good counterpoint. my agenda was to raise the performance of my third Etsuro Gold on my NVS/Tosca to be on par with my other 2.

all five of my cartridges have at least .4 mv of output, so the noise issue should not be a big deal.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

just bought a used Aesthetix Io Eclipse, dual power supplies, volume pots, and one analog input. it will be on the way to Aesthetix in Calif for a going over. then on to me. looks to be in excellent condition. excited to get it in my room and find a place to put the beast. i do have space for three warm boxes. i know i need to keep the power supplies away from the preamp section.

tubes are said to be in top shape, not used much. but i'm sure i'll learn i have to get better one's. o_O might switch the analog input to a second phono. we will see. i did own an Io back in the day, from 1999 to 2001. loved it then.

i already have 2 phonos in my dart preamp, and three phono channels with my CS Port phono, two of which are with SUT's those are all very very low noise. the Io will be less quiet, but bigger and bolder. a good counterpoint. my agenda was to raise the performance of my third Etsuro Gold on my NVS/Tosca to be on par with my other 2.

all five of my cartridges have at least .4 mv of output, so the noise issue should not be a big deal.
Welcome to the club Mike ! You are going to love the dynamics and bass capabilities of the 3 box Io, it can truly energize the room. :)

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

Wow ! Mike,

Looking forward to your impressions . It will be big and powerful. Very excited for you.

Congratulations!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing