adding a 5th Taiko Tana/Herzan TS-140 active isolation unit.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Your diligence certainly has to be commended, Mike. Your room/speaker (aka big woofage!) interaction seems to create difficult circumstances.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hate "does it sound like tubes", "sound analogue", "sound digital", "sound like solid state" perspective/questions.

IMO the lines between formats is so diminished the relevant question is "how close is it to the real thing"

“Hate”? Really? :rolleyes:

You don’t think that’s a little strong for somebody’s mere question about a hobby?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
i wish i could un-like a post.

this is where the thread goes to hell.

Looking at it from a different perspective, generally it appears to me that tube amplifier manufacturers pay more attention to vibration control. Presumably due to the notion tubes are more sensitive to it then solid state.
But are they really? It seems to me every type of component benefits greatly from vibration control. In my experiments it really doesnt matter which component you treat, everything seems ballpark similarly affected, I get nearly the same effect from treating my powerstrip as my preamp.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Emile, agreed.
Stacore Basic Plus under my balanced power transformer, and RollerBlocks under my distribution strip, have both been hugely effective.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Damn...This thread is hazardous to my piggy bank.

Sigh.
Tang

Reactions: Zeotrope and jazdoc

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
[...] It seems to me every type of component benefits greatly from vibration control. In my experiments it really doesnt matter which component you treat, everything seems ballpark similarly affected, I get nearly the same effect from treating my powerstrip as my preamp.

To our big surprise, we observe very much the same.
Cheers,

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Damn...This thread is hazardous to my piggy bank.

Sigh.
Tang

Dear Tang,

actually; i see it the opposite.

we all have our own unique source or system/room building ideas and strategic plan. i've only gone down my own personal road.

one can chase ultimate collective system performance with changing or upgrading this or that, and spend silly dollars. or.......do this and likely get to beyond those other pathways. i'm not saying that as fact, even for me. but as i sit here now, it seems that way. and i'm not aware of alternatives offering this same performance (not that everyone might agree with that).

i've considered tt upgrades obviously, and i have an amplifier upgrade i could do. both would exceed this expenditure......applied to those pieces.

come visit me and hear it for yourself.

best regards,

Mike

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
last night i had a forum member visit for a listening session from out of town. we listened for almost 4 hours and i really enjoyed it. this visitor had last visited about 6 years prior.

as these sessions many times go, we did 45 minutes or so of digital, and then got the vinyl going with some of my 'big guns'. i'm not going to talk about the visitor's comments. but i was pretty blown away by what was happening. this change (to the 5th Tana) is still a new fresh thing to me. the vinyl was just something 'beyond'. and as i sat there i realized that the idea that digital has got closer to vinyl is a myth......to me.

what i mean is that i've been enjoying the Tana shelves under the amps, preamp and dac box for 10 months, but vinyl did not have that. now it does, and the consequences are pretty awesome. digital at the tip top of the food chain has it all, and it's really fully satisfying to listen to and so easy to live with. however; vinyl (to my ears now) is just waay out there and pulling away.

YMMV, just my 2 cents, and all that stuff.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Lets see what happens when the Extreme arrives.....

Reactions: Jiffi32

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Lets see what happens when the Extreme arrives.....

Kingsrule, certainly i have high expectations for what the Extreme might do in my system.....and would be absolutely delighted if it's addition jumped the digital ahead sufficiently in performance to close back to the previous gap (or closer) to my vinyl.

Last edited:

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
Mike hosted me for an evening of music and audio fun earlier this week. It was a great time. Mike is such a gracious host-Thank you!!

As he mentioned, it’s been 6 years since the last visit and his system has gone through a number of changes, It’s hard not to have high (very) expectations when going to hear a system of this caliber. And it didn’t disappoint...

His system sounds better than on my last visit. It simply has a higher performance level. I can’t attribute it to any particular change of course but I can say it is operating at a much higher level. There is clarity in the bass and dynamic capability that’s well beyond what it did previously. One of the ‘war horses’ played was a Ben Webster Live At the Renaissance track which I also heard last visit. There is a drum ‘thwack’ in it that actually startled me on this visit- and I knew it was coming.

At one point we were cruising along with 102 DB peaks and the system didn’t flinch. It sounded like music and not a bit compressed on any of the peaks. This was not a testicular ride to see how loud it could play. It was more of a “let’s keep jamming” moment. Awesome!

I agree with Mike’s comment on vinyl delivering a superior experience to his digital. His digital is Top Rate. Vinyl is just better here.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

Can you describe more in what ways the vinyl has pulled so far ahead of digital now?

Cheers

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Guys,

Can you describe more in what ways the vinyl has pulled so far ahead of digital now?

Cheers

I can make an educated guess ;)

There is something very profound happening when lowering vibration induced distortion. Typical audiophile jargon would be increased dynamics, both micro and macro, increased detail, better rendering of texture, more solid and more 3 dimenional imaging, better retrieval of soundstage / ambient cues etc.

However that doesn’t capture something which is hard to put into words. The best I can come up with is a very profound removal of stress and unaturalness allowing your system and room not just to playback a recording but to morph into an actual event happening with you smack down in the middle of it. It’s no longer just listening to music, it’s experiencing music.

If we only apply this sort of care to our vinyl playback systems, digital will never catch up.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I can make an educated guess ;)

There is something very profound happening when lowering vibration induced distortion. Typical audiophile jargon would be increased dynamics, both micro and macro, increased detail, better rendering of texture, more solid and more 3 dimenional imaging, better retrieval of soundstage / ambient cues etc.

However that doesn’t capture something which is hard to put into words. The best I can come up with is a very profound removal of stress and unaturalness allowing your system and room not just to playback a recording but to morph into an actual event happening with you smack down in the middle of it. It’s no longer just listening to music, it’s experiencing music.

If we only apply this sort of care to our vinyl playback systems, digital will never catch up.

Thanks Emile - very nicely written.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
People here really didn't get this when I tried to relay what Stacores were doing in my system. Something as radical as Emile's description.
It's not subtle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing