About to get Allnic H-8000 DHT

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
So you didn't like the HA3000 head amp? Or just not with the H8000 phono stage? I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting one for an A95. Or maybe an SUT. One or the other.
IMHO, if you’d go for an extra piece of gear for A95, a matching Ortofon SUT might be a better idea then a head amp such as HA3000 Or HA5000. I haven’t gotten any experience with A95 however, with my MSL Platinum, the MSL 1030 does make it shine, much more than any phono MC or other SUT as EAR MC4. Even with Amber, I don’t feel it’s better through an HA5000 into H-8000.

Reactions: dcc

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I’m comparing the Allnic H-8000 with the newly arrived EMT JPA-66 side by side these days. Since I have 2 TT with 3 arms, it is easy to complicated the comparison to switch back and forth among the Arm/Carts combos. Therefore I simply compare the MSL Platinum into MSL 1030 into the MM inputs on the 2 phonos.

Both need a reasonable warm-up of about 30 min at least. It was interesting that when the EMT JPA-66 just arrived and switched on (after being packed for long while), the sound of EMT JPA-66 was so terrible that I began to doubt this unit didn’t function normal. I read about similar experiences from Tang when his EMT arrived. After a night switched-on, the EMT started act normally.

Finally I connect the EMT through its pre-out, taking the advices from a few experienced users. It opens up the sound thanks to the extra gain provided from the pre-out circuit. And the meter became useful to help adjusting the 2 gain controls: gain and volume.

Overall, EMT is of more texture, more true, more transparent with a transient presentation. Allnic is more “sweet” and warmer in tone, giving a feeling of the music presentation is “bigger” and a bit upfront. EMT is faster and while Allnic takes its pace. EMT presents a bit more dynamic, while Allnic presents a bit more power. EMT gives a cleaner and more visible soundstage, while Allnic seems not care for presenting all the details to your ears but is more keen to display the music as a whole.

Very interesting side by side comparison experiences and same table, same cart, same arm would sound very differently.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I’m comparing the Allnic H-8000 with the newly arrived EMT JPA-66 side by side these days. Since I have 2 TT with 3 arms, it is easy to complicated the comparison to switch back and forth among the Arm/Carts combos. Therefore I simply compare the MSL Platinum into MSL 1030 into the MM inputs on the 2 phonos.

Both need a reasonable warm-up of about 30 min at least. It was interesting that when the EMT JPA-66 just arrived and switched on (after being packed for long while), the sound of EMT JPA-66 was so terrible that I began to doubt this unit didn’t function normal. I read about similar experiences from Tang when his EMT arrived. After a night switched-on, the EMT started act normally.

Finally I connect the EMT through its pre-out, taking the advices from a few experienced users. It opens up the sound thanks to the extra gain provided from the pre-out circuit. And the meter became useful to help adjusting the 2 gain controls: gain and volume.

Overall, EMT is of more texture, more true, more transparent with a transient presentation. Allnic is more “sweet” and warmer in tone, giving a feeling of the music presentation is “bigger” and a bit upfront. EMT is faster and while Allnic takes its pace. EMT presents a bit more dynamic, while Allnic presents a bit more power. EMT gives a cleaner and more visible soundstage, while Allnic seems not care for presenting all the details to your ears but is more keen to display the music as a whole.

Very interesting side by side comparison experiences and same table, same cart, same arm would sound very differently.
Thank you for this post

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

The EMT sounds best when it is hot. Often I leave it on overnight. The next morning it gives me a smile. Detailed, airy, ruler-flat response, accurate imaging out of a quiet background...less (or no) seasoning.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Have you swapped to the KR rectifier yet?

Reactions: gian60

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Have you swapped to the KR rectifier yet?
I haven't been able to find a pair of KR rectifier yet. My H-8000 has a small glitch issue that after 1-hour or so, the left channel would begin to produce thundering noises. I checked and swapped the tubes but it persists. Allnic has a very good customer service and they're sending me a new unit. I'll try to swap some better rectifiers when I get the new unit.

@Tang, thanks for the tips. No wonder after the 1st night switch-on, the JPA-66 sounded just beautifully. I guess long hours only consume tubes which are easy to replace. Will do the same.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I haven't been able to find a pair of KR rectifier yet. My H-8000 has a small glitch issue that after 1-hour or so, the left channel would begin to produce thundering noises. I checked and swapped the tubes but it persists. Allnic has a very good customer service and they're sending me a new unit. I'll try to swap some better rectifiers when I get the new unit.

@Tang, thanks for the tips. No wonder after the 1st night switch-on, the JPA-66 sounded just beautifully. I guess long hours only consume tubes which are easy to replace. Will do the same.

To be fair your sonic impressions with the stock tube will not be anywhere similar to when you replace.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is the one you need.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
This is the one you need.

Thanks a million, Bonzo. I actually am choosing the recti tubes among KR, EML, Elrog and maybe some older brands like Mullard, etc. I’ll go find a KR to try.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks a million, Bonzo. I actually am choosing the recti tubes among KR, Emmlab, Elrog and maybe some older brands like Mullard, etc. I’ll go find a KR to try.

EML is not as good. I never compared the elrog.

In older brands try western electric 274b direct

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
EML is not as good. I never compared the elrog.

In older brands try western electric 274b direct
Thanks again. I’m ordering a pair of KR 5u4g from the website you post above. Checking if they could ship to my city nowadays.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks again. I’m ordering a pair of KR 5u4g from the website you post above. Checking if they could ship to my city nowadays.

Their email response is slow.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
If they can't feel free to send them to me. I'll forward them to you.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
If they can't feel free to send them to me. I'll forward them to you.
Appreciate the help Howiebrou. I’ll see what they’d reply. Hope they reply soon.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
No problem. We're not that far away so happy to help and you can visit us without quarantine soon!
Indeed this crazy year...hope it will be behind us as soon as possible. The only positive thing about this year is that you end up spending a lot time with your hifis. :)

Reactions: howiebrou

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Their email response is slow.
Hi Bonzo, it was lucky that they responded very quickly and they could ship internationally to my city. I’m thinking whether I should order a pair of KR 300B as well. Do you have any experience rolling the 300B on the Allnic phono? I read some POs giving credit to the Emissionlabs 300b MESH. I’m wondering if KR 300B would be a better fit.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Bonzo, it was lucky that they responded very quickly and they could ship internationally to my city. I’m thinking whether I should order a pair of KR 300B as well. Do you have any experience rolling the 300B on the Allnic phono? I read some POs giving credit to the Emissionlabs 300b MESH. I’m wondering if KR 300B would be a better fit.
You might want to use the money for rolling 300B to rolling the 12AX7 in the second input of your EMT instead. Then you can compare the EMT to Allnic at the same level. Here is the link to an excellent source of tubes.

You don't need to get the super rare super expensive NOS Tele ecc803s. The Leeds & Northrup or SELECTED TUBE label will do for a third of the price.
This tube will do what you described about EMT in higher degree. What you talked about the presentation being push back or smaller than the Allnic will be even slightly more. While the air will be more see through to the back beyond and around the instrument, the definition and dimensionality will also improve. At first I felt a bit skeptical because of its straight forwardness. But the more time I have on it the more I am addicted to it...just seem more real. The transparency is extraordinary after a few weeks of constant use. It is never unnatural...just not pleasing.

added: the MSL Plat will never get close to the vdh in term of clarity, air, dimensionality, transient attack playing with the JPA 66.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
You might want to use the money for rolling 300B to rolling the 12AX7 in the second input of your EMT instead. Then you can compare the EMT to Allnic at the same level. Here is the link to an excellent source of tubes.

You don't need to get the super rare super expensive NOS Tele ecc803s. The Leeds & Northrup or SELECTED TUBE label will do for a third of the price.
This tube will do what you described about EMT in higher degree. What you talked about the presentation being push back or smaller than the Allnic will be even slightly more. While the air will be more see through to the back beyond and around the instrument, the definition and dimensionality will also improve. At first I felt a bit skeptical because of its straight forwardness. But the more time I have on it the more I am addicted to it...just seem more real. The transparency is extraordinary after a few weeks of constant use. It is never unnatural...just not pleasing.

added: the MSL Plat will never get close to the vdh in term of clarity, air, dimensionality, transient attack playing with the JPA 66.
Thanks Tang. I'll take a look at the page, hopefully to find a suitable pair of 12ax7.

Regarding the footnote you put there, I assume you refer to VDH Master with 1mv output? Do you use it with the JPA 66 input 1 or 2?

Reactions: J-Wall

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing