About to get Allnic H-8000 DHT

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo, it was lucky that they responded very quickly and they could ship internationally to my city. I’m thinking whether I should order a pair of KR 300B as well. Do you have any experience rolling the 300B on the Allnic phono? I read some POs giving credit to the Emissionlabs 300b MESH. I’m wondering if KR 300B would be a better fit.

Hi no experience rolling the 300b in the Allnic. IV have rolled 300b in amps and there the elrog, followed by the KR, are my preferred ones compared to Takatsuki and EML mesh. Elrog and KR are cleaner and more transparent and linear. Thomas mayer has also produced a newer version recently of 300b.

But based on reports of Allnic rolling, I think changing recti should allow you to decide if you like it or not

Reactions: gian60

ShawnZH

Sep 21, 2020
Hi no experience rolling the 300b in the Allnic. IV have rolled 300b in amps and there the elrog, followed by the KR, are my preferred ones compared to Takatsuki and EML mesh. Elrog and KR are cleaner and more transparent and linear. Thomas mayer has also produced a newer version recently of 300b.

But based on reports of Allnic rolling, I think changing recti should allow you to decide if you like it or not
I used to have Elrog and Takatsuki 300B tubes but sold them after selling the AN 300b amp. Pity I didn’t foresee one day I would use a phono applying 300B. Have ordered the 5U4G. Wait for the arrival.

Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Tang. I'll take a look at the page, hopefully to find a suitable pair of 12ax7.

Regarding the footnote you put there, I assume you refer to VDH Master with 1mv output? Do you use it with the JPA 66 input 1 or 2?
Sorry. The footnote is off the topic. But you have some gears similar to mine or at least I have tried in my system so I chime in.

I now have 4 Master Signature ranging from 1.1mV down to 0.3mV (the latest one ddk recently sent me). I find all of them work great in input2. You can adjust the gain further with the input gain adjustment and the pre master volume of jpa66 to suit your system.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reading the feedback of the two phono stages - the EMT is definitely my type of phono - fast and transparent.

YMMV

ShawnZH

Sep 21, 2020
Sorry. The footnote is off the topic. But you have some gears similar to mine or at least I have tried in my system so I chime in.

I now have 4 Master Signature ranging from 1.1mV down to 0.3mV (the latest one ddk recently sent me). I find all of them work great in input2. You can adjust the gain further with the input gain adjustment and the pre master volume of jpa66 to suit your system.
Thanks Tang. Your footnote is great.

I just connect my VDH Colibri XPW into input 2 and increase the gain. Volume wise, it sounds fine now. I don’t have to turn up the volume crazily high as I connected to input 1. However since the load imp might not be high enough, I feel the VDH doesn’t show its potential. Mine is an old version of Colibri XPW with a pretty high cart impedance at about 55 ohms. I guess the imp match is not there.

Interestingly, with my few phonos, the best phono for my VDH is the one on the Dartzeel pre. I load it at 300 ohm with 70db (or 69db?) Gain, it sounds quite full bodied. Previously, i ever tried a quite cheap phono, EAR 324 to VDH, it works very well too.

One day I will get my hand on a VDH master Sig. I assume. :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Tang. Your footnote is great.

I just connect my VDH Colibri XPW into input 2 and increase the gain. Volume wise, it sounds fine now. I don’t have to turn up the volume crazily high as I connected to input 1. However since the load imp might not be high enough, I feel the VDH doesn’t show its potential. Mine is an old version of Colibri XPW with a pretty high cart impedance at about 55 ohms. I guess the imp match is not there.

Interestingly, with my few phonos, the best phono for my VDH is the one on the Dartzeel pre. I load it at 300 ohm with 70db (or 69db?) Gain, it sounds quite full bodied. Previously, i ever tried a quite cheap phono, EAR 324 to VDH, it works very well too.

One day I will get my hand on a VDH master Sig. I assume. :cool:

I think it is more than just gain. Tang's is a high sensitivity system, and the gain on input 1 is higher than that on some other phonos, like FM for example or the Mayer. And his carts might not be mm carts, but some of them have pretty high output for an MC. So EMT might be doing more than just a gain difference between input 1 and 2. We don't know what it is that leads to the lack of energy in input 1, it might not be simply gain

Reactions: gian60

ShawnZH

Sep 21, 2020
I think it is more than just gain. Tang's is a high sensitivity system, and the gain on input 1 is higher than that on some other phonos, like FM for example or the Mayer. And his carts might not be mm carts, but some of them have pretty high output for an MC. So EMT might be doing more than just a gain difference between input 1 and 2. We don't know what it is that leads to the lack of energy in input 1, it might not be simply gain
I guess the standard input 1 may be designed for those EMT high output carts. Many of those are above 1mv output and ask for 200+ load imp.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess the standard input 1 may be designed for those EMT high output carts. Many of those are above 1mv output and ask for 200+ load imp.

Good guess, possible

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing