A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

thanks Jack. when I was seriously on the C1 the Ethernet direction was where I was headed. all the feedback seemed to point that way as superior.

thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. gotta love the Swiss stuff.

Looove the Swiss too Mike. Did I mention that I actually met Herve in Hong Kong and had a great conversation with him last August? Wonderful guy. I have a picture sandwiched between Herve and Florian. It rarely happens that I look like a munchkin in a picture. The Swiss milk must be what makes 'em so tall. LOL.

Jack;
I have posted this in the CH thread as well:
Do you have any experience with the CH app for Android?

JP

Hi Jep no not yet. When I rotate back to a full CH system, I'll integrate all the pieces via ethernet. From what I've been told, the remote functions are very good but use as a media interface has a bit left to be desired. I'm looking forward to being able to play with the M1 parameters from my listening chair. :)

Hi Jep no not yet. When I rotate back to a full CH system, I'll integrate all the pieces via ethernet. From what I've been told, the remote functions are very good but use as a media interface has a bit left to be desired. I'm looking forward to being able to play with the M1 parameters from my listening chair. :)

Thanks.
I control my music throught the Aurender app which is very good on the Ipad. The CH app is as you say for setting parameters, adjust the filters etc in the CH gear from the listening chair. Ahh, so much technology :).

JP

Mike,
According to CH, the C1, using Ethernet streaming, is already capable of playing DSD x2.
DSD x4 can't be played for the moment but will be in the near future.
You may know this already but there is a new C1.5 multibox uber version along with a T1 that premiered at the show in Japan recently.
Chris

I use the CH app on a samsung tablet for access to an NAS via minimserver.
In terms of user interface for music, it is good though i would say the sooloos was better. In terms of access to the remote controls and all settings of all CH units in one tablet, it is awesome. Convenience from the listening chair. System can be shut down via app as well which i kinda shrugged off as surplus but now use it all the time.

Mike,
According to CH, the C1, using Ethernet streaming, is already capable of playing DSD x2.
DSD x4 can't be played for the moment but will be in the near future.
You may know this already but there is a new C1.5 multibox uber version along with a T1 that premiered at the show in Japan recently.
Chris

thanks Chris. that is what I wanted to know. and I assume that these formats are kept native and processed in pure dsd by the dac? that would be the last piece of the puzzle.

I'm no longer a MC 5.1 guy but no doubt that will be good.

The other night I was listening to the RBCD of Charlie Hunter's Everybody Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth. The bass on this album is shocking. Gaia/Hourglass deep. Surely one that will test a small or medium system's capability or the structural integrity of the room a big system is placed in LOL. Flying colors through the D1/C1/X1 stack.

The other night I was listening to the RBCD of Charlie Hunter's Everybody Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth. The bass on this album is shocking. Gaia/Hourglass deep. Surely one that will test a small or medium system's capability or the structural integrity of the room a big system is placed in LOL. Flying colors through the D1/C1/X1 stack.

I've used 4:10-4:15 on Gaia for years too.....;)

I've used 4:10-4:15 on Gaia for years too.....;)

Hahahaha. I think it's one of the only reasons I've kept an SACD transport in my system through the years!

Check out the Charlie Hunter CD Mike. I bet the MM7s will blow the roof off of Bellevue. :D

Hahahaha. I think it's one of the only reasons I've kept an SACD transport in my system through the years!

Check out the Charlie Hunter CD Mike. I bet the MM7s will blow the roof off of Belleview. :D

i'll check that out tonight.

I can't spin discs now but have Hourglass ripped to dsd on the HD and it's part of any test tracks I do.

I use the CH app on a samsung tablet for access to an NAS via minimserver.
In terms of user interface for music, it is good though i would say the sooloos was better. In terms of access to the remote controls and all settings of all CH units in one tablet, it is awesome. Convenience from the listening chair. System can be shut down via app as well which i kinda shrugged off as surplus but now use it all the time.

Thank you so much for the information.

JP

Hi Jack,

I'm familiar with Charlie Hunter, but I don't have that one yet! Good tip, thanks!
Now, what's "Gaia/Hourglass"? Not familiar with that...

thanks,
alex

Hi Jack,

I'm familiar with Charlie Hunter, but I don't have that one yet! Good tip, thanks!
Now, what's "Gaia/Hourglass"? Not familiar with that...

thanks,
alex

'Gaia' is cut #4 on JT's Hourglass, both CD and SACD.

great sounding cut all the way through and very spacious sounding.

but what sets it apart is a kettle drum run from right to left from 4:10 to 4:15 that can be thunderous and will tell you a lot about where your bass is.....in texture, focus, decay, separation, location, depth and slam.

the MM7's love it!

played it easy 1000 times over the years.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll look that one up :)

Anytime Alex :D

thanks Chris. that is what I wanted to know. and I assume that these formats are kept native and processed in pure dsd by the dac? that would be the last piece of the puzzle.

I'm no longer a MC 5.1 guy but no doubt that will be good.

Mike, the C1 does not process the data stream as pure DSD. See post #29, #30 of this thread for the technical description. The C1 makes SACD sound the best I've ever heard it. I've owned Esoteric P03/D03, MSB Diamond DAC with Fetmo clock/UMT. C1 outperforms both on red book and SACD. I own 100s of SACDs (including the James Taylor Hourglass discussed above) and have .dsf files that I play from network via ethernet and over USB to the C1.

DSD to PCM direct conversion at 705.6kHz with selectable low-pass filters.

Sounds like a good approach to me.

Mike, the C1 does not process the data stream as pure DSD. See post #29, #30 of this thread for the technical description. The C1 makes SACD sound the best I've ever heard it. I've owned Esoteric P03/D03, MSB Diamond DAC with Fetmo clock/UMT. C1 outperforms both on red book and SACD. I own 100s of SACDs (including the James Taylor Hourglass discussed above) and have .dsf files that I play from network via ethernet and over USB to the C1.

thanks. that upsampling of dsd to PCM is what stopped me on the C1 last time.

for better or worse I'm a native format kind of guy. after living with both the Trinity dac and the Lampi GG for a few months together with my 15 terabytes of music; time and time again native was best no matter what. these were cases where the mastering made the format change, not the gear. playing digital files back in the format it started has brought me closest to the music.

the MSB Diamond (IV?......if it was a V then that would be more significant) comparison for dsd means little as, while very good, it's not a reference for dsd playback to my ears. which is not to say that CH Precision is not at the very top of dsd (and 2x + 4x) performance, but I would need to hear that for myself at some point. maybe their approach tears down the advantage of native playback? I'm only speaking here about my personal perspective.....and could see myself enjoying the whole CH approach on so many levels. the D1 is a very attractive part of this equation but again the PCM conversion for SACD halts me. an investment on this level will require a deeper investigation on exactly how this dsd question plays out.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing