A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
The stenheim five was introduced in munich. I've heard good reports about it and am waiting for Gideon to get them in again. The ones in the link i posted are actually the earlier version alumine 2 monitor atop the alumine 3rd way bass cabinet. I've heard a more current set of alumine 2/3 with nagra vpa and they were impressive in a small room. The alumine five is their next model up in the line before you get to the flagship reference towers.
Chris

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
The Eagle has landed! The ASR arrived yesterday and was duly connected to the Zellaton Grands. Fresh out of the box, the combo is stellar. As you may recall, I have a very small listening room, but the Grands don't overpower the room. They do everything the Emotions did, but better and deeper with more energy and presence. The ASR no doubt helps. Lots of breaking in to do, I'm sure, but what fun. I'll keep the forum posted.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The Eagle has landed! The ASR arrived yesterday and was duly connected to the Zellaton Grands. Fresh out of the box, the combo is stellar. As you may recall, I have a very small listening room, but the Grands don't overpower the room. They do everything the Emotions did, but better and deeper with more energy and presence. The ASR no doubt helps. Lots of breaking in to do, I'm sure, but what fun. I'll keep the forum posted.

Pics?

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013

Congrats Sterling. I am unfamiliar with ASR gear and have not had a chance to listen, but great to hear how happy you are with your unit out of the gate.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Yes those sounded extremely good in Munich - that's the Alumine 5. Want to listen to them in a proper set up with different amps

The Stenheim Alumine Five just arrived at Audio Arts. Hoping to book a visit in the next month.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area

Sterling, CONGRATS! I'm not surprised by your comments. As you recall I heard the ASR / Zellaton Legacy combination at AudioArts on one of my trips and was very impressed. Pics?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
The Stenheim Alumine Five just arrived at Audio Arts. Hoping to book a visit in the next month.

Tunes, thanks for the update. I'm also hearing that AudioArts is about to get in Zellaton Reference. If your going next month, see if you can hear those as well and report back to us. Eager to hear what you think of the Stenheim too!.

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
Yes, rsorren, I do recall! Really appreciated those comments, as they were quite helpful. Swinging to a little Ray Charles/Count Basie this morning. One of my wife's favorite albums for weekend mornings. It's never sounded this good. I will get pictures posted in the not-too-distant future -- kind of a pain in the butt!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, rsorren, I do recall! Really appreciated those comments, as they were quite helpful. Swinging to a little Ray Charles/Count Basie this morning. One of my wife's favorite albums for weekend mornings. It's never sounded this good. I will get pictures posted in the not-too-distant future -- kind of a pain in the butt!

great album...if its the same one i am thinking of (and have), this is the one where the 2 never actually played together. Someone artfully took RC vocals and layed it on top of CB Orchestra. I admit I never would have known had it not said so on the album. Remarkable and possibly my top 2 fav 'Ray Charles albums'.

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
great album...if its the same one i am thinking of (and have), this is the one where the 2 never actually played together. Someone artfully took RC vocals and layed it on top of CB Orchestra. I admit I never would have known had it not said so on the album. Remarkable and possibly my top 2 fav 'Ray Charles albums'.

Yes, that is the very one! Like you, I did not realize they were overlaid vocals/instrumentation until I read about it. Funny thing is, I didn't read about it until yesterday on Roon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, that is the very one! Like you, I did not realize they were overlaid vocals/instrumentation until I read about it. Funny thing is, I didn't read about it until yesterday on Roon.

It really is an amazingly good album. Sadly, many of the Ray Charles Albums i have heard do not have the best audio quality...by contrast, this particular album is stunning in both music and audio quality!

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
It really is an amazingly good album. Sadly, many of the Ray Charles Albums i have heard do not have the best audio quality...by contrast, this particular album is stunning in both music and audio quality!

If you're a big Ray Charles fan, this might be worth trying out: http://www.hdtracks.com/the-atlantic-studio-albums-in-mono-remastered-348017. I don't have it, and have not researched it, but I do know that the "Hallelujah I Love Her So" album was remastered into Hi-Rez and was supposed to be much better than the original CD release. It's nice to see a lot of these old albums being released in mono versions since that's how they were originally recorded. My understanding is that the Stones have a mono box set coming out sometime this year.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you're a big Ray Charles fan, this might be worth trying out: http://www.hdtracks.com/the-atlantic-studio-albums-in-mono-remastered-348017. I don't have it, and have not researched it, but I do know that the "Hallelujah I Love Her So" album was remastered into Hi-Rez and was supposed to be much better than the original CD release. It's nice to see a lot of these old albums being released in mono versions since that's how they were originally recorded. My understanding is that the Stones have a mono box set coming out sometime this year.

Thanks!

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Sterling,
Any updates on the ASR in your system?
How does the addition match with your Zellaton's?
Chris

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

SterlingReznor

Aug 5, 2016
Sterling,
Any updates on the ASR in your system?
How does the addition match with your Zellaton's?
Chris

Tunes, so far so good. Very good, actually. I will confess to have not listened critically all that much while it is breaking in. For the most part over the last few weeks, I've simply left the system playing music to allow for break-in. But I have had a few listening sessions and have some initial impressions. First, the bass is absolutely incredible. As you have seen in the pictures, I have a tiny listening room, but the Grands, despite their size, do not overwhelm it. The bass on my prior speakers sounded bloated and one dimensional. Those speakers were lush and warm, but the bass would simply drown everything else out. The bass on the Grands is anything but. It is tight, extremely articulate, and, when the notes are low enough, something that you feel more than you might hear. They are nothing like any speaker I've had before.

The highs on the Zellatons really sizzle. They are crisp and clear without being brittle or bright.

As for the mids, I don't think I have quite enough time to easily evaluate them. They have not yet come into full bloom, but from what I understand about the ASR, it usually takes a while for that to happen. It comes last.

At this point, I can't really weigh in on soundstage and imaging. Those are things that need further tweaking in terms of speaker placement, etc. that I've not toyed with during break in (and, to be truthful, those aspects are less important to me than the emotion and musicality of the system).

I'm really looking forward to where this system combo leads me. It has been a great ride so far. Stay tuned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing