A Bright Shining Lie…Why ignoring an inconvenient truth is stifling system performance a blog from Roy Gregory

In my case the original panels were in excellent shape and did not need replacement. The focus of the restoration was with the deterioration of the foam around ribbons which causes the Buzz sound. And of course to retention the ribbons back factory specs.

The work was done by a gentleman in Florida name E. Pagan, who has decades of experience with all models of Apogees, including the Duetta II, Duetta Signature, Stages, Centaurus, Caliper 1 & Caliper Signature. His preference are the Caliper Signatures due to that to him they sound more magical in small rooms or medium rooms, and in large rooms will produce better execution on low bass frequencies due the lower bass notes needing the extra space.

He has restored Apogee’s for many years and feels that the best ribbon panels that you can have are the original Apogee panels with the matching crossovers as according to him, “each single Apogee speakers are tailored on the inductor coils of the crossovers to match each ribbon panel”.

My Caliper Signatures have all original ribbons and original crossovers and a silicone shore 8 on soft scale mix to regenerate the cushion that the foam lost after decades. Also all ribbons have been detoxified of magnetic particles and dust accumulated over the years on them inch by inch ( a lot of patience and time required to perform this job and not damage the ribbons).

Here is a picture of mine, the outer pair:

View attachment 96347
Thanks for your extensive anwer.
Enjoy all those several different gems :cool:

reviewers are human beings with their preferences /tastes and flaws just like anybody else
Amen !! I quit paying attention to them (and stopped buying the magazines) long ago. Not that I don't have respect for some of them, but my PREFERENCE and in person experience has far more effect on my personal buying habits (cars, audio gear, coffee makers, etc) than spec sheets, or subjective reviews (or for that matter, objective reviews).

Reactions: andromedaaudio
Amen !! I quit paying attention to them (and stopped buying the magazines) long ago. Not that I don't have respect for some of them, but my PREFERENCE and in person experience has far more effect on my personal buying habits (cars, audio gear, coffee makers, etc) than spec sheets, or subjective reviews (or for that matter, objective reviews).
What this hobby needs is more good music , not more reviewers.

Look at this forum alone some put themselves in the center of the whole operation

Last edited:
Reactions: barryr1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing