6H30pi tube difference

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Have any of you compared Sovtek to Electro Harmonix 6H30pi tubes?
I realize they are both made by Electro Harmonix along with other tube brands.
I am thinking about trying them in my ARC 40th Anniversary PreAmp.
I would rather not spend $700+ without some input from others that have tried them.
Thanks Brad

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Physically the E-H version have gold-plated pins versus non-plated for the Sovtek. Don't know if it is real gold. I tried both in my Ref 5se several years back and prefered the Sovtek. Vaguely recalling the E-H sounding softer, very slightly diffuse.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks Tina, I appreciate your input.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thanks Tina, I appreciate your input.
Tina …. how very appropriate .

Brad , having owned both 40th Anniversary and then REF 10 I would highly recommend that you attempt to acquire some pre 1990 genuine 6h39DR’s , they are an appreciable step up in regards to the fidelity that they will bring to your 40the Anniversary , see below for a link to a site referencing how to identify genuine from fake.

If you have not already spent time rolling the SED 6550C power regulators , I would also highly recommend replacing the factory supplied valves with 1970’s GE 6550 , early Tung Sol 6550 black and grey plates work very well in the slightly more overall neutral presentation of the REF10 , however they are too ‘lush‘ to add to the already ’liquid’ sounding 40th Imho .

Reactions: Jpspock

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Brad , having owned both 40th Anniversary and then REF 10 I would highly recommend that you attempt to acquire some pre 1990 genuine 6h39DR’s , they are an appreciable step up in regards to the fidelity that they will bring to your 40the Anniversary , see below for a link to a site referencing how to identify genuine from fake.

If you have not already spent time rolling the SED 6550C power regulators , I would also highly recommend replacing the factory supplied valves with 1970’s GE 6550 , early Tung Sol 6550 black and grey plates work very well in the slightly more overall neutral presentation of the REF10 , however they are too ‘lush‘ to add to the already ’liquid’ sounding 40th Imho .

you read my mind. The Soviet -DR hands down are the best but they have become unobtainium. I have several matched quads of 6H30P-DR left for my amplifier and these tubes in my amp typically last 1- 1.5 years before they give up the ghost. Clearly if you can find -DR then the magic is all there. I have more backups of Sovtek 6H30P-EV which sound very good

micha b.

Sep 19, 2021
try the 6n6 tubes instead of 6h30 (see other thread here in WBF)
They are cheaper and definitely more musical in the ARC Ref 40.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012

Argonaut, Thanks for the information and suggestions. I have looked a bit at the DR's but first is finding someone trusted and will I pay that much for a group of tubes that if their life is not quite long I would be back in the same spot but spoiled if they sound that good. I will keep looking though.
I did change the 6550s in the power supply long ago with GE 6550As. I was stunned that the power tube could make that difference in the sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

Steve Williams

Argonaut, Thanks for the information and suggestions. I have looked a bit at the DR's but first is finding someone trusted and will I pay that much for a group of tubes that if their life is not quite long I would be back in the same spot but spoiled if they sound that good. I will keep looking though.
I did change the 6550s in the power supply long ago with GE 6550s. I was stunned that the power tube could make that difference in the sound.
the short tube life of the -DR seems related only to the Lamm ML3 amplifier. My left channel gave up the ghost a few weeks ago

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
you read my mind. The Soviet -DR hands down are the best but they have become unobtainium. I have several matched quads of 6H30P-DR left for my amplifier and these tubes in my amp typically last 1- 1.5 years before they give up the ghost. Clearly if you can find -DR then the magic is all there. I have more backups of Sovtek 6H30P-EV which sound very good
Thanks Steve,
As I mentioned I am afraid that I will love them and they will become impossible to find or to afford. Especially needing 8 at a time.

Reactions: Steve Williams

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
try the 6n6 tubes instead of 6h30 (see other thread here in WBF)
They are cheaper and definitely more musical in the ARC Ref 40.
I will look into it Micha. I didn't think there was a substitute for the 6h30.

Steve Williams

Thanks Steve,
As I mentioned I am afraid that I will love them and they will become impossible to find or to afford. Especially needing 8 at a time.
that's my problem as well BUT the shortened tube life of the 6H30P seems only in my Lamm amp and involves all makers of the tube Sovtek, etc

micha b.

Sep 19, 2021
I will look into it Micha. I didn't think there was a substitute for the 6h30.
Hi Brad,
I’am running the 6n6 for over 2,5 years in my Ref 40 (in the main unit, not the power supply)
They are for sure not a real substitute. But it works without any problems and there a lot of guys running their Ref6 with this tubes.
The whole set of 6n6 is cheaper than one single 6h30 D….

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
For my part I found the 6n6 to work pretty well in the subjectively more neutral presentation of the REF10 , however for the same reason that I found early Tung Sol 6550 to be a touch too lush when paired with the already lush presentation of the 40th Anni I preferred the DR’s with the latter .

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Hi Brad,
I’am running the 6n6 for over 2,5 years in my Ref 40 (in the main unit, not the power supply)
They are for sure not a real substitute. But it works without any problems and there a lot of guys running their Ref6 with this tubes.
The whole set of 6n6 is cheaper than one single 6h30 D….
micha,
What do you mean by "They are for sure not a real substitute"?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
The only 6h30DR I can find are from out of the USA. Have any of you worked with dealers you would recommend trustworthy?

I will probably give the 6n6 a try to see how they sound.

Thanks,
Brad

micha b.

Sep 19, 2021
The only 6h30DR I can find are from out of the USA. Have any of you worked with dealers you would recommend trustworthy?

I will probably give the 6n6 a try to see how they sound.

Thanks,
Brad
Hi,

sorry for my bad english. I am from Germany.
The 6N6 is electrically not the exact equivalent for a 6H30 (like for example a 6DJ8 for an ECC88).
But the 6N6 can really be used without problems in ARC amplifiers as a replacement for the 6H30 or 6H30 DR.
Qualitatively, it is definitely in the same league as the 6H30 or 6H30 DR....but much cheaper.
Subjectively, it sounds a bit warmer and rounder than the 6H30 for my taste.
I basically share the assessment of Argonaut, but I feel the use of 6N6 in the Ref 40 depending on the overall system quite suitable :)

Best regards

Reactions: Argonaut

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Not a worry micha, I guarantee your english is 1000 times better than my German.
I will probably give them a try just to see how they sound. I'm sure with the CLX speakers it won't take long to decide if I like them or not.

I will still look for some DRs if I can figure out who is a reputable dealer without astronomical prices.

Thanks
Brad

Reactions: micha b.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Not a worry micha, I guarantee your english is 1000 times better than my German.
I will probably give them a try just to see how they sound. I'm sure with the CLX speakers it won't take long to decide if I like them or not.

I will still look for some DRs if I can figure out who is a reputable dealer without astronomical prices.

Thanks
Brad
Hi Brad,
I’ve sent you a PM regarding some tubes I have….roughly a dozen 6H30’s, maybe DRs if I understand the Russian letters correctly and 14 x 6H6n, some new some with a few 100 hours, they were all spares left over from my Balanced Audio Technology days

IMG_7689.jpeg IMG_7688.jpeg

IMG_8311.jpeg IMG_8310.jpeg IMG_8322.jpeg

Last edited:

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks, I replied to your message.

Brad

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
The BAT black branded valves are genuine DR’s the rest are highly unlikely to be given the printing on their boxes .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing