6H30 tube life

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
But you can't test a 6H30 on it can you? It's not a 6DJ8 family so assume you use the Amplitrex.

Indeed, 6H30's can be characterized on the Tek 576 CT...I routinely evaluate triode section balance, within a tube, this way, as well as match between tubes. My current lab apparatus allows me to examine the 6H30, individually.

A custom test adapter is being fabricated for me so that I can A/B and characterize, simultaneously, a pair of 6H30's with respect to section balance within a tube and matching between tubes :) This should be much more efficient.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Indeed, 6H30's can be characterized on the Tek 576 CT...I routinely evaluate triode section balance, within a tube, this way, as well as match between tubes. My current lab apparatus allows me to examine the 6H30, individually.

A custom test adapter is being fabricated for me so that I can A/B and characterize, simultaneously, a pair of 6H30's with respect to section balance within a tube and matching between tubes :) This should be much more efficient.

OK thanks for the explanation Sam.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Thinking of getting an Audio Research LS-26. They have 6H30 tubes and I was told they only last about 800 hrs. Is this true? I thought they were good for up to 5000 hrs. I need some clarification as these tubes can be expensive.:confused:

Is this more an issue with ARC gear being hard on 6H30 tubes? They redesigned a few preamp/phono's that were using 6H30's and switched them for 5881/6L6 and now I see them with 6650's. From what they told me, they were finding that the 6H30's were aging differently. I took this to mean they were being pushed too hard and were failing much sooner than they should have. The single 6H30 I use now (I went for the 5881 upgrade), a gold pinned EH, has roughly 1000-1500hrs. on it. So far so good. I'd be really disapponted if they only last 800 hrs. or even 2000 hrs. A friend of mine has a ARC REF 3 and a REF 150, lets see that's
9-6H30's. Ouch. I don't think I'm going to tell him what I'm reading, he'll freak. At least I only have 1 to replace.

Last edited:

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
The Amplitrex AT1000 can measure 6H30s tube sections in stand alone mode but it's an even more powerful piece of test equipment and can run curves with any operating parameters you choose in computer mode. It's a PITA to get it set up properly as the instructions are not correct for the newer Window OS variants.

A couple of 6H30's in my ARC Ref 40 went thru a noisy period in the early break-in period, but in the past 2,100 hours have been completely quiet. The manual suggests 4,000 hours and I would expect you may get more.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Amplitrex AT1000 can measure 6H30s tube sections in stand alone mode but it's an even more powerful piece of test equipment and can run curves with any operating parameters you choose in computer mode. It's a PITA to get it set up properly as the instructions are not correct for the newer Window OS variants.

A couple of 6H30's in my ARC Ref 40 went thru a noisy period in the early break-in period, but in the past 2,100 hours have been completely quiet. The manual suggests 4,000 hours and I would expect you may get more.

My original set of 10x 6H30 from my REF 40 lasted for more than 5900 hours. Although most of the tubes were still measuring perfectly, after I got two noisy tubes in a short time I decided to replace the whole set. However I replace the 6550s every 2000 hours, although they are still measuring perfectly. I use the more closely matched tubes for the gain stage and the remaining for the cathode followers.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello to all

by reading this article I cannot really understand if there is a way to set the parameters and test 6H30 tubes on a Hickok (or another) vintage tester..
I would appreciate if someone tell us/me the secret.. :)

from another point of view, having studied and used for a long time the 6H30’s, also having bought many of them, I have written an article in Audiophile Club of Athens http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988 about recognizing the real NOS 6H30 DR's from the fresh Sovtek's / EH's and the rebranded fake ones.. feel free to read..

regards.. Manos

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
hello to all

by reading this article I cannot really understand if there is a way to set the parameters and test 6H30 tubes on a Hickok (or another) vintage tester..
I would appreciate if someone tell us/me the secret.. :)

from another point of view, having studied and used for a long time the 6H3w0’s, also having bought many of them, I have written an article in Audiophile Club of Athens http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988 about recognizing the real NOS 6H30 DR's from the fresh Sovtek's / EH's and the rebranded fake ones.. feel free to read..

regards.. Manos

Welcome and thanks for the article! Your piece mirrors my experience. The new version is no super tube. Based on sound quality, I long suspected two DRs that I bought were fakes. I'll need to go back and look at them again.

I always assumed needed something like the Maxi- or Amplitrex to test the 6H30.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
Thanks for welcome Myles..

for sure, Amplitrex and Maxi are the best for new age tubes.. but they are expensive.. I have to live with my Hickok 752A..

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Is this more an issue with ARC gear being hard on 6H30 tubes? They redesigned a few preamp/phono's that were using 6H30's and switched them for 5881/6L6 and now I see them with 6650's. From what they told me, they were finding that the 6H30's were aging differently. I took this to mean they were being pushed too hard and were failing much sooner than they should have. The single 6H30 I use now (I went for the 5881 upgrade), a gold pinned EH, has roughly 1000-1500hrs. on it. So far so good. I'd be really disapponted if they only last 800 hrs. or even 2000 hrs. A friend of mine has a ARC REF 3 and a REF 150, lets see that's
9-6H30's. Ouch. I don't think I'm going to tell him what I'm reading, he'll freak. At least I only have 1 to replace.

ARC began to replace 6H30s in the POWER SUPPLY of REF CD, phono stages etc. with 6550s a few years ago. They continue to use 6H30s in signal path and I get 4500 - 5000 hours from the 6H30 tubes in my REF 40. I replace the two power supply 6550s every 2000 hours similar to Micostrip's experiences. No issues with tube life here in ARC gear and I've owned several models through the years.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
For what it's worth, I just had a 6H30 in the power supply section of my ARC Ref 2 Phono SE get flaky and need replacement at 390 hours.

The 6550 and all the audio section 6H30s are fine.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have ~18 used 6H30's. Many are NOS. I used to own BAT amps and preamps and used a lot of these. If someone wants to pay me a buck or two I'll pack and mail the whole lot. I used to rotate tubes a lot, so I suspect these have 1500-2000 hours each or so on them. Lot's a life, just I found the new 6h30's had more spark to em.

I maybe moving soon and just need to get rid of some things.

I can email you a few pics if you want to hit me up on a private message. Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing