6550 used in ARC power supplies

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Hello All and Thanks in advance for the help.

I remember reading in a thread here that substituting an old USA make 6550 in the power supply of my Ref Phono 2se, Ref Line Stage 5se and my Ref 250se amps resulted in an improvement in bass reproduction. I've searched and can't seem to find that thread.

What are your opinions on this tube swap?

Thank You

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hello All and Thanks in advance for the help.

I remember reading in a thread here that substituting an old USA make 6550 in the power supply of my Ref Phono 2se, Ref Line Stage 5se and my Ref 250se amps resulted in an improvement in bass reproduction. I've searched and can't seem to find that thread.

What are your opinions on this tube swap?

Thank You
Simply enter GE 6550 into the search parameters… no shortage of hits , some from myself.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Simply enter GE 6550 into the search parameters… no shortage of hits , some from myself.
Thank You, I guess I was too discriptive!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I owned the Ref2 SE and Ref 5 SE, along with the Ref10 Phono and Ref10. I've also worked directly with ARC on a variety of projects over the years. I've tried different 6550s in different ARC products. While you can roll in any tube that meets required specs, ARC does not care for the original GE6550A. The GE is a fine tube in Conrad-Johnson and Ampeg gear, but it tends to be a bit warm and soft in ARC equipment and ARC discourages it use -- at least they did when I discussed it with them. Their current 6550 that ARC uses is the Sovtek WE6550 and they use that because they can obtain them in quantity.

Prior to the WE6550, ARC used the Svetlana SED 6550C, the "Winged C 6550" (=C=) out of St. Petersburg, and they likely would continue to use it if they could get them in quantity.

People said "Kevin Deal does not reccomend the Winged C for ARC gear." Well that was true, but the reason for it was the last of the Winged Cs out of the factory were of poor quality and the factory had been damaged in a fire. Production ended ~ 2012. That started the meme that the Winged C 6550s should not be used in ARC gear. Totally misleading as those are the tubes the Ref 2 and Ref 5 circuits were designed to use.

Apparently the Svetlana 6550C is back in production by New Sensor (Reflektor) - not the original manufacturer and not the original equipment - but I never tried those or know ARC's take on them. I don't believe they have the famous Winged C logo on them. New Sensor is American owned, made in Russia

If you can find original Svetlana Winged C 6550s, those are the ones to use. People have stashes of them and you can find them for sale.

I've heard people speak well of the original Tung-Sol 6550 black plates in ARC gear. These tend to be very expensive and hard to find.

6550s.jpg
L-R: SED Winged C, JAN GE6550A, Sovtek 6550WE

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thank You, I guess I was too discriptive!
No worries … that search will lead to a number of discussions regarding GE , TungSol vintage and new production as well as other recommendations, you might elicit a better response were you to begin posting on one of those threads . As an aside one might consider the morality of paying funds for a Russian export valve … given the current situation.

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Not that sound quality like lightgrey "c" from st.peterburg,but absolut good stable tube my tip.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
My reason for starting this thread was I have a small stash of GE and Tung Sol 6550 from my D79 days. Most of these are from the 50s and I wanted to be sure I would not have any use for them before passing them on.
Thank you for all the help and replies.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
My reason for starting this thread was I have a small stash of GE and Tung Sol 6550 from my D79 days. Most of these are from the 50s and I wanted to be sure I would not have any use for them before passing them on.
Thank you for all the help and replies.
Are you still running ARC Ref equipment Pacha , we have converted a couple of times re ARC.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Are you still running ARC Ref equipment Pacha , we have converted a couple of times re ARC.
Yes, I have the Ref Phono 2se, Ref Line Stage 5se and Ref 250se in one system and a SP20 and Ref 150 in another.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Nice , in that case if you have already rolled those tubes and found them not to your taste you may as well move them on , if still rolling perhaps hang on to them .

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I haven't done any tube rolling since my SP8, MCP33 and D79 days. Over the next few months I'll try the 6550 in my current system and see what I think.

WillBthr

Jan 18, 2024
S. California
"While you can roll in any tube that meets required specs, ARC does not care for the original GE6550A...it tends to be a bit warm and soft in ARC equipment and ARC discourages it use -- at least they did when I discussed it with them."

ARC used GE6550A tubes for decades in both the output stages and the power supply regulation sections in amplifiers. 10:1 ARC would be using GE 6550A tubes today if production hadn't ceased 35-40 years ago (and new GE6550A tubes sell for around $600 per quad). There is a valid reason for the current pricing of GE 6550A tubes. My experience is GE6550A tubes are very reliable and do not sound soft or warm in ARC output stages nor in the power supply regulation stages of ARC products. My experience is I hear the Russian 6550XX as sounding harsh and glaring in the output stage of ARC power amplifiers. My experience with Sylvania (Philips) 6550 tubes from the same era (1980s) is they also sound excellent in ARC power amplifiers.

"Their current 6550 that ARC uses is the Sovtek WE6550 and they use that because they can obtain them in quantity."

Available in quantities and they're inexpensive, relatively speaking. ARC goes to great lengths to ferret out (test) the bad tubes in each batch of Russian 6550XX tubes and yet they'll still occasionally blow/arc/short in the field, in the power supply, and take out nearby components.

Last edited:
  • Love

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
"While you can roll in any tube that meets required specs, ARC does not care for the original GE6550A...it tends to be a bit warm and soft in ARC equipment and ARC discourages it use -- at least they did when I discussed it with them."

ARC used GE6550A tubes for decades in both the output stages and the power supply regulation sections in amplifiers. 10:1 ARC would be using GE 6550A tubes today if production hadn't ceased 35-40 years ago (and new GE6550A tubes sell for around $600 per quad). There is a valid reason for the current pricing of GE 6550A tubes. My experience is GE6550A tubes are very reliable and do not sound soft or warm in ARC output stages nor in the power supply regulation stages of ARC products. My experience is I hear the Russian 6550XX as sounding harsh and glaring in the output stage of ARC power amplifiers. My experience with Sylvania (Philips) 6550 tubes from the same era (1980s) is they also sound excellent in ARC power amplifiers.

"Their current 6550 that ARC uses is the Sovtek WE6550 and they use that because they can obtain them in quantity."

Available in quantities and they're inexpensive, relatively speaking. ARC goes to great lengths to ferret out (test) the bad tubes in each batch of Russian 6550XX tubes and yet they'll still occasionally blow/arc/short in the field, in the power supply, and take out nearby components.
Exactly so Will … 70’s production GE 6550A are without doubt likely the most balanced and for the most part neutral of any 6550A ever manufactured IMHO, to claim that they are ”Warm” or ‘Soft” sounding is simply ludicrous !!!

Last edited:

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
My Anniversary 40 liked the old GE6550A’s but LOVED the old Tung-Sol 6550’s, both black or grey.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

The GE6550A is a fine tube. As with many vintage NOS tubes, they can be more expensive. Pre-20th C. ARC amplifiers tended toward a leaner, slightly silvery sound and the GE6550A will ameliorate that somewhat.
Perhaps the company used them in the past -- do you have model numbers? For the Ref 2 and Ref 5 going forward they do not recommend the GE6550A.

• Haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing