ARC Ref 150 upgrade to KT150 tubes

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I now have had two evenings to listen to the new amps, even though they still need to break in I'm very impressed. Proceeding These amps were a Ref 75 and a Ref 150 over the past 8 or 9 years. Some people have told me these would just sound like bigger cousins to the previous amps. I don't agree at this point, the sonic signature is still there but, the brightness of the diamond tweeters has been tamed and the response time is so much quicker and controlled that the 15" woofers snap. Dave Gordon told us that they will only get better, can't wait.

DSC_2860 (1).jpeg

My plan over the last two years was to upgrade to the highest point of my satisfaction within my budget before I quit working and my discretionary income shrinks. I think I'm there. I need another Sound Anchor stand to get them farther off the floor and all looks good.

Thank you to all the people who chimed into this and my other threads as I went through this process.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Most pleased for you Pacha, the REF250SE’s are not merely about extra watts on paper, Perhaps now might be the time to talk about how your REF5 SE is something of a bottleneck now that you have the 250SE’s. Were I in your shoes I would be looking hard for a well cared for ARC REF 40 Anniversary

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Most pleased for you Pacha, the REF250SE’s are not merely about extra watts on paper, Perhaps now might be the time to talk about how your REF5 SE is something of a bottleneck now that you have the 250SE’s. Were I in your shoes I would be looking hard for a well cared for ARC REF 40 Anniversary
That would be super except, I really don't have the room for the extra chassis. I thought about and almost purchased one for $11k but, settled on the 5se because of space.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Make space !!!
LOL, I'll settle in with this for a while, I've only had the 2se and 5se for less than a year. Maybe before I quit working.....

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Quite understand Pacha...however the step up to REF40 Anniversary / REF10 is quite significant if you could swing it

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Quite understand Pacha...however the step up to REF40 Anniversary / REF10 is quite significant if you could swing it
Of thoes two my preference would be the Ref 40, the Ref 10 is way out of reach financially. For now I'm thourghly enjoying the system as it sits and after all, enjoying the music is what it is all about.

Reactions: Argonaut

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
I’d go ARC 6SE, while not quite the Ref 10, it’s only a single chassis and sonically close to the Ref 10 IMO.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I’d go ARC 6SE, while not quite the Ref 10, it’s only a single chassis and sonically close to the Ref 10 IMO.

Something to think about. Now I'm sitting back, sipping on a good single malt and loving the music.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although they have a family sound, I would not consider the REF6SE close to the REF10 or the REF40.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I agree, whilst the ARC 6SE is a superb preamp, and please excuse the analogy, it is more of an Inline Flat 6 if compared to a REF 40/10 Pontiac V8

Reactions: Pacha

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Apparently ARC has 1ea. Ref250se manual left and they are shipping it to me. I'm absolutely enjoying the sound of these amps and ARC has been very responsive to any questions I have had. I will consider the suggestions some made to up the Ref 5se to a 40 Anniversary but, with what I'm currently hearing I will not be in any hurry to do this.
Again, thanks to all who provided suggestions and assistance

Reactions: lem321

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
One final update from me. I'm loven the sound of my system and the Ref 250se amps haven't even broken in yet.
Thanks again to all who gave advise on my two threads covering my first full upgrade in almost a decade.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Correct AJ! ARC's customer service and support has always been top notch! Just think about it, these monoblocks that have been discontinued... were redone one last time just to support a very enthusiastic customer. Goes to show, it's not just a transaction, rather it's a passion!

Their customer support has been solid since their inception and it remains worldwide. Even as a former sub-dealer, they would always find a way to help out. Speaking of which, "always finding a way to help out and keep the customer happy" is not in the best interest of some other companies as we both know... especially when it comes to obsolete items...

I think ARC's goal is not just keeping the customer happy, rather keeping the customer delighted! And only good things can be said about their service, passing it through word of mouth and on forums like this. What better way to gain positive traction. They've been producing the finest tube gear for decades, might as well keep going strong. ARC gear Down Unda is not very affordable, they come at a premium price. However, if you can afford it, they're truly worth every penny! Always pushing the boundaries through research... "Audio Research" go figure!

Enjoy those REF250SE's!
Woof! RJ

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I’ve ended up with REF 250SEs too.
I replaced a set of CJ LP275Ms.
I bought a REF 75SE and fell in love. But the pair of REF 250SEs is not just the big brothers. They take the performance to a clear “next level.”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing