50k people attend concert with pre-recorded music

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yup thats amsterdam , i ll be in the bull dog my favourite hang out probably tomorrow with my girlfriend , cool stories.
In holland /amsterdam anything that makes money goes ...:D

I guess the world does need one 'hypocrisy-free zone' where depravity can run it's course. but relatively violence free at the same time. normally you can't have both.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched the show out of curiosity. I wish I had not. The whole scene makes me sick.

But I'm glad that you did; look @ some stories from the members here..."I just had to make sure that she was a she and not a he." :eek:
Talk about confusing music years from a past generation!

Hey, I used to be into Tangerine Dream and Enigma music, still am but not to the same level as Classical music. ...More for fun, for trance, for dance, for parties, for wilder behavior...return to the underground world with sex and mescaline 'mandraque' hashish and acid and cognac and chess games.
Last time I listened to Tangerine Dream was from 'Thief' ...the Michael Mann's film, on Blu-ray from the Criterion Collection.

Disco music with wide pants @ the bottom, high heeled shoes, leather belts, bouffon shirts, long coats...that was very identity and sex gender confusing!
I like the Bee Gees, and I also like Shawn Phillips and Cat Stevens; but not so much the Village People.
Queen I also very much like, and Fred's voice is/was magic.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Call it what you want! It is pure crap to me.

You are such a renaissance man. ;)

I hate rap but, having said that, I still listen too it a bit and try to understand why other people like it.

I'll repeat what I said before. Shouldn't we as audio fools celebrate occurrences where people are actually listening to and ENJOYING music.

I personally like "contemporary classical" music and those who have never heard this current genre that is not similar to Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, etc., including chamber music (in its various forms), call this genre "crap".

You probably don't know this but the premier performance of Stravinsky's "Right of Spring" was stopped after attendees interrupted the performance some four minutes into the piece.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I hate rap but, having said that, I still listen too it a bit and try to understand why other people like it.

Why waste your time?

You probably don't know this but the premier performance of Stravinsky's "Right of Spring" was stopped after attendees interrupted the performance some four minutes into the piece.

It's too bad the audience didn't have the balls to do that when John Cage's 4'33" was first performed. It might have helped put an end to that sort of crap.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'll repeat what I said before. Shouldn't we as audio fools celebrate occurrences where people are actually listening to and ENJOYING music.

Absolutely! Let's be open-minded.

I personally like "contemporary classical" music and those who have never heard this current genre that is not similar to Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, etc., including chamber music (in its various forms), call this genre "crap".

As I said previously in this thread, I love it too!

Yeah, crap. As I wrote in my essay on Mikrophonie I by Stockhausen, for tam-tam, 2 microphones, 2 filters with potentiometers (6 players):

http://home.earthlink.net/~almoritz/mikrophonie1.htm

For less well-meaning minds, unwilling or unable to internalize the art of MIKROPHONIE I, this work might serve as the ultimate example for "chaotic, experimental plinky-plonky music" or, as someone with immensely profound and truly marvelous "insight" described Stockhausen’s music on an internet discussion board, "and the 4-year-old next door made a lot more sounds banging some metal scraps around in the alley". Someone else described this specific work as the music that he would spin "in order to chase the mice out of my house".

All these of course are entirely superficial characterizations that in no way touch the core of the music, but in any case, yes, MIKROPHONIE I is metallic, scratchy, at times just plain loud (yet importantly, a lot of the time rather, or even very, quiet), "boing-y", grinding and simply "noisy".

Yet at the end I write:

MIKROPHONIE I is a thoroughly amazing work and one of my Stockhausen favorites, "noisy" as it is. And yes, on the other end of the musical spectrum I also love the brooding romanticism of Schubert’s late piano sonata in B major, D 960, with its marvelous melodic and harmonic magic (such kinds of magic are heard in many Stockhausen works as well). Great music comes in many forms.

I have to say, this work may be one of the most extreme examples of "crap" (that I love); Stockhausen has also written enormously melodic music. It's clear that he could when he wanted to.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I like the Bee Gees, and I also like Shawn Phillips and Cat Stevens; but not so much the Village People.
Queen I also very much like, and Fred's voice is/was magic.

I used to not like the Bee Gees in their time, but now I do, a lot. They could write music, and they could sing! I have always loved Queen, and you're right, Fred's voice is/was magic.

The vocals of his songs are also incredibly hard to sing; in the tribute concert after his death almost all the stars bombed at trying. The one that could really pull it off was George Michael. His rendition of "Somebody to Love" is something for the ages. He is an incredible singer anyway, too.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
You are such a renaissance man. ;)

I am actually a man that appreciates great music. Whether it is rock, jazz, classical, country, reggae, etc, etc. To me a bunch of electronic sounds thrown together is not music. It's just Electronic noise.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am actually a man that appreciates great music. Whether it is rock, jazz, classical, country, reggae, etc, etc. To me a bunch of electronic sounds thrown together is not music. It's just Electronic noise.

I don't know which electronic sounds you refer to, but more generally, what is the difference between music and just noise? Definition, please, not just a statement of 'taste'.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I watched this show on CNN last night. It is hosted by Lisa Ling. She talked about a 3 day concert she attended on the grounds of the original Woodstock. It drew 50k people that danced to pre-recorded hosted by disc jockeys. She said in times past the musicians would of been the stars of the show. She said at this show the DJ's are the stars.

I always thought the idea of a concert was to listen to live music. I must be getting old because I can not relate to this at all. If they call this progress I want no part of it.

Yup, the Millennial's need some serious help in that dept.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I guess what I relate to in music is authenticity, which can be found in any genre; a congregation in a church singing gospel, a bunch of clubbers high on E dancing to an electronic beat, eminem expressing authentic anger, my 12 year old daughter identifying with Taylor Swift, Beethoven's spiritual isolation, Zeppelin, Prince, Anouar Brahem. Music is the highest form of communication (good sex being a close second).

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

Great song, great story, real musicians playing real instruments, intricate guitar work. Will burn the dust off your system.

Remember what the Door Mouse said.......

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But i must say its in a way a thing from the past as well , the citydepartment did a great job in restoring old buildings museums so its not only young people looking for a " good time" that come to amsterdam it has great cultural events that attract al kinds of tourists , the zeedijk which was a run down old drug allley is now filled with nice old cafes restaurants and its safe
I guess the world does need one 'hypocrisy-free zone' where depravity can run it's course. but relatively violence free at the same time. normally you can't have both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing