Totaldac Reference D1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with you 100%!

BTW the Totaldac Ethernet Cable is also very good!

:D

Interesting...by random chance, CKK...do you know if you can use the Ethernet cable as the i2s cable for the Zanden?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Interesting...by random chance, CKK...do you know if you can use the Ethernet cable as the i2s cable for the Zanden?

Hi LL21,

i2s has no universal standard so please email Vincent of Totaldac for confirmation.

However, I tried Totaldac Ethernet Cable on a MSB cd transport to IV Plus dac connection, replacing the original MSB network cable.
It works!
The result is great : adding musicality to the agility & high dynamics of MSB.

Cheers,
CK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,

i2s has no universal standard so please email Vincent of Totaldac for confirmation.

However, I tried Totaldac Ethernet Cable on a MSB cd transport to IV Plus dac connection, replacing the original MSB network cable.
It works!
The result is great : adding musicality to the agility & high dynamics of MSB.

Cheers,
CK
Great! Thank you!

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I wonder how the D1 will compare with the BADA?

If you have the BADA then it is simple, ask for Totaldac if you can do a test. Though I expect Vincent Brient will ask you to pay for the D1 prior to delivery so it does come with a need to prefinance the test equipment. The only risk you run is that you are left with the BADA on your hands, having to sell it. In the other case you ship the D1 back and you get your funds back.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
yes but i think bada is better than totaldac even with reclocker. I would love to know because i been in the market for awhile.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
yes but i think bada is better than totaldac even with reclocker. I would love to know because i been in the market for awhile.

I had Alpha DAC with Alpha USB.
Great combo!!! one of the best on market still today.
But I sold them when I had opportunity to test into my system the D1 single (not dual) without Reclocker, using Alpha USB as USB interface.
Then I acquired the Reclocker and upgraded to Dual.
Totaldac has much more full-bodied and smooth sound. Details are magnified without the annoyance of most of typical digital playback.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Got ya but i am referring to the RS BADA.

I had Alpha DAC with Alpha USB.
Great combo!!! one of the best on market still today.
But I sold them when I had opportunity to test into my system the D1 single (not dual) without Reclocker, using Alpha USB as USB interface.
Then I acquired the Reclocker and upgraded to Dual.
Totaldac has much more full-bodied and smooth sound. Details are magnified without the annoyance of most of typical digital playback.

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
I'm using the D1 server as a streamer feeding my Devialet dual monos (D800). Essentially I am using it to stream from my QNAP NAS to my Devialets. The improvement in sound quality is extraordinary. Initially got this on a 10 day trial but I think I'll be keeping it! :)

Beats the Auralic ARIES, MiND 180 and direct streaming from my Mac using Audirvana + and AIR. This clever box is in a different league altogether.

Guillaume

Now that I bought an Eddie Current 445 Tube headphone amp, I need to find a good source/DAC for it. The TotalDAC is first on my list, but I am still wondering about the D-1 SERVER.

Indeed, As for the D1 server, I am interested not only to play locally stored music files, but also to discover new music. So I want to be able to stream (in CDQuality) from TIDAL or Qobuz .

For this reason I was considering buying an ARIES, but...Vincent (very very helpful & honest person IMO) told me that with ipeng8, it is possible to stream CD Qualité 16/44 Flac. Have you tried this yourself ? in CD quality ? is it as convenient to stream Qobuz than with the ARIES ?

So, please, can you elaborate on the comparaison between the SQ and the interface of the ARIES v/s the TotalDAC Server ?

Also, Is the iPAD application provided for the management of the Music library good and user friendly ?

thanks for your feedback

Last edited:

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
The Aries is pretty cheap you should get that. If you can afford the totaldac you probably could get both. Use the totaldac for local stored music, use Aries to stream and find music you like!!:D

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Now that I bought an Eddie Current 445 Tube headphone amp, I need to find a good source/DAC for it. The TotalDAC is first on my list, but I am still wondering about the D-1 SERVER.

Indeed, As for the D1 server, I am interested not only to play locally stored music files, but also to discover new music. So I want to be able to stream (in CDQuality) from TIDAL or Qobuz .

For this reason I was considering buying an ARIES, but...Vincent (very very helpful & honest person IMO) told me that with ipeng8, it is possible to stream CD Qualité 16/44 Flac. Have you tried this yourself ? in CD quality ? is it as convenient to stream Qobuz than with the ARIES ?

So, please, can you elaborate on the comparaison between the SQ and the interface of the ARIES v/s the TotalDAC Server ?

Also, Is the iPAD application provided for the management of the Music library good and user friendly ?

thanks for your feedback

Hi there you'll find some of my observations here:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mac-AIR-v-MiND-180-v-Auralic-ARIES-v-totaldac-d1-server

Regarding streaming Qobuz with the totaldac d1 server I haven't tried this yet.

Cheers

Guillaume

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Headphone out of D-1 dual as good as a dedicated amp ?

OK you won ! I will contact Vincent and discuss the purchase of a D1-Dual.

but.... I understand that the headphone out plug in the back of the D1-dual is quite good and very powerful. Is it correct ? can it replace a dedicated headphone amp ? Is someone using it successfully ?

Does this mean that i should not have bought an Eddie Curent 445 tube headphone amp ( at least for dynamic Headphones) ...that is supposed to arrive (finally) tomorrow :) ? :eek:

Last edited:

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Replacing the stock clock cable

Hi all,

Having the Totaldac Monodac (I guess that what I write hereafter is also applicable to the Twelve owners) I thought I'd let you know that I did a test to bring the performance of that DAC even further: I changed the stock delivered BNC cable that syncronizes the two DAC's (that are in separate chassis) by a Wireworld Gold Starlight BNC.
If it wouldn't have been noticeably better I probably wouldn't have written this entry in the first place ;) , so you know where this is heading.

I definitely could hear a difference in that the sound across the spectre became even more organic and having a bit more drive. Don't expect miracles from it but on the other hand I never put the stock cable back, a useless exercise... So, a very worthwhile upgrade as such BNC cable is not too expensive (always relatively speaking of course).

regards,
Michel

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Same Rockport speaker brand as you Michel, but biggest version Arrakis 2 driven by 4 monoblocs of VTL Siegfried and controlled by an Absolare Altius preamplifier, here is a new reference system using a Totaldac d1-server + d1-twelve and USB and ethernet cable/filters!

1348523870.jpg

Details of the super-system are here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1250107418

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi all,
Having the Totaldac Monodac (I guess that what I write hereafter is also applicable to the Twelve owners) I thought I'd let you know that I did a test to bring the performance of that DAC even further: I changed the stock delivered BNC cable that syncronizes the two DAC's (that are in separate chassis) by a Wireworld Gold Starlight BNC.
If it wouldn't have been noticeably better I probably wouldn't have written this entry in the first place ;) , so you know where this is heading.

I definitely could hear a difference in that the sound across the spectre became even more organic and having a bit more drive. Don't expect miracles from it but on the other hand I never put the stock cable back, a useless exercise... So, a very worthwhile upgrade as such BNC cable is not too expensive (always relatively speaking of course).
regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

I once compared Wireworld Gold Starlight BNC vs a much cheaper Stereolab XV-Ultra Ref digital cable BNC as clock cables.
Stereolab ko the Gold Starlight in seconds.

The current Stereolab Master Ref 818 should be even better and worth a try.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi Michel,

I once compared Wireworld Gold Starlight BNC vs a much cheaper Stereolab XV-Ultra Ref digital cable BNC as clock cables.
Stereolab ko the Gold Starlight in seconds.

The current Stereolab Master Ref 818 should be even better and worth a try.

It does show that it is worthwhile to replace the stock cable to start with! I didn't venture into comparing different cables. The Wireworld was a cable I happened to have at home already...

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Same Rockport speaker brand as you Michel, but biggest version Arrakis 2 driven by 4 monoblocs of VTL Siegfried and controlled by an Absolare Altius preamplifier, here is a new reference system using a Totaldac d1-server + d1-twelve and USB and ethernet cable/filters!

View attachment 18644

Details of the super-system are here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1250107418

:p

This is my system on steroids!

The room looks spacey enough for those Arrakis. I read that for his acoustics he aims to more diffusion instead of absorption, a very intelligent choice, he should seriously look at SMT products in his room then, no other manufacturer makes diffusion products like them, on the way making wide spread use of broadband absorbers (of dynamics) totally obsolete and out of place.

I read his Totaldac Twelve system replaces a full MSB Diamond stack (and set aside a Vivaldi stack as well)... ok, I feel more comfortable with my Totaldac than ever :cool:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia

View attachment 18644

Hi Vincent,
I added Entreq Silver Tellus and Olympus grounding box to Reclocker and D1 Dual respectively.
I did not think the musical refinement of your items could still be improved in this way. great synergy!!!! I suggest everyone to try. You will be amazed by the results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing