Anyone try the new Shunyata PS8 power strip?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've had really good luck with Shunyata power cords after trying a wide variety of cords so I was thinking of trying this device. Any impressions on sound? I have not been able to find a review.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Anyone? Any Shunyata products?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Lee,

I believe there will be reviews of the PS 8 / Defender system appearing in Stereophile and TAS within the next month or so.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks Grant. Look forward to it. That new Defender product is really cool.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Photo1-2.jpg

Today Santa (wearing a UPS uniform) delivered me some nice power accessories from Shunyata including the PS8. Very excited!

Will let break-in for a week or so before posting my thoughts but already a very nice improvement.

I will say the build quality on everything is superb. First rate stuff and tremendous value compared to others I have seen at this price point.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Now you need a Triton and Typhon. For my ears these were game changers in my system along with Anaconda PCs and umbilicals.

Ha! The audio upgrade cycle never ends. For now the Triton and Typhon may be a little out of my price range but I will definitely work up to it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Will be curious what you think of the defender...

BTW, send that santa my way :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Will be curious what you think of the defender...

BTW, send that santa my way :)

Sure, I will let you know. Right now I just want to get used to the PS8 sound...or lack thereof.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Installed a PS8 and a Defender along with the very same Viper HC cord last week. The clients were surprised with how even the picture of their flatscreen improved and not just the sound. This is good stuff.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Installed a PS8 and a Defender along with the very same Viper HC cord last week. The clients were surprised with how even the picture of their flatscreen improved and not just the sound. This is good stuff.

It really is. I was doing my best to refrain until I have the "five continuous" days of burn-in but I have to say I've been floating on a cloud of air since I put this in. I was listening earlier today while answering emails and the extra detail is just superb. I'm hearing stuff I have not heard before on some familiar recordings.

I may have to get one for the upstairs TV, cable, blu-ray and upstair's emotiva 5-based system.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
It really is. I was doing my best to refrain until I have the "five continuous" days of burn-in but I have to say I've been floating on a cloud of air since I put this in. I was listening earlier today while answering emails and the extra detail is just superb. I'm hearing stuff I have not heard before on some familiar recordings.

I may have to get one for the upstairs TV, cable, blu-ray and upstair's emotiva 5-based system.

What were you using before the PS8/Defender?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
That was exactly my first impressions with my Shunyata gear

Combined with my excellent prior experience with the Venom and Cobra power cables, I have a very high opinion of Shunyata.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Combined with my excellent prior experience with the Venom and Cobra power cables, I have a very high opinion of Shunyata.

The Shunyata additions I made to my room resulted in the most significant change in my system in years. It is truly remarkable equipment and cables

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
without doubt as the Shunyata produced a system wide change whereas the Doshi tape pre imroved but a part of the system.

Interesting.

Would you mind recapping what Shunyata products you're using, I don't see them listed in your profile.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Interesting.

Would you mind recapping what Shunyata products you're using, I don't see them listed in your profile.

I am planning on writing my impressions with the gear as soon as I find some spare time

So far (I say that as I plan on switching to all Shunyata power cords and signal and speaker cables) I believe that an all Shunyata system based on what I am hearing in my system is the path that I am going to take

Presently for all of my front end gear I am using a Triton/Typhon combination spiked on the Shunyata SSF. I have an Anaconda PC from wall to Triton and an Anaconda umbilical from Typhon to Typhon. I have an Alpha Digital PC from my Playback Designs to my Triton.

For my amps I did was Caelin calls the Lunatic Fringe wherein I use two Typhons each using an Anaconda Umbilical from wall to Typhon. Each Typhon is plugged into the AC duplex of each of my Lamm monoblocks. Each Typhon is spiked with the Shunyata SSF
TBH I was not prepared for what I heard and have been trying to wrap my thoughts around it. The most noteworthy improvement was how the music took on a life of its own, to the point of sounding like the real thing. I believe on the Shunyata website it is called the "plasma"of the music. My sound floor is virtually nonexistent

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing