Anyone have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers? I Searched...

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
...but couldn't find anything but a question on PCs for SLs.

I've had electrostatic ('EL') speakers...Quad 57s, 57s paired, 2905s, AudioStatic somethings...and other open-baffle panel speakers over the decades, and I'm again fantasizing about buying speakers that create a larger soundstage for the kinds of music...large-scale Classical and film) I listen to.. In the positions I place all my speakers, the ceiling height starts at eight feet and rises to 12 feet over the listener.. I'm thinking that the Majestic 745s...
...would be about perfect in my 21'-wide, 19'-deep listening room containing about 3300 cubic feet.

I've been HIGHLY impressed with my Vandersteen 7.2s driven with plenty of power, but I find myself wanting a bigger soundstage in the front of my room, and short speakers--the VS 7.2s are about four feet tall--don't do well at that, at least in my room.. What I find unmatched from the 7.2s is transparency/resolution and especially coherency, and I think the SLs' single diaframs* and lack of filter networks contribute higher degrees of those to SL's designs.

I have a couple pairs of very-hi-quality SS amps...Moon/Simaudio 400Ms and Aethetix Atlas Eclipse monos--plus 150-Watt Atma-Sphere M1s (to use during our nonsummers), so I think I'm covered there.

Comments, anyone?

* a campaign of mine for a few decades has been to rid the world of 'phs' that sound like 'fs'.. So it's 'fotografy', for example.. Yes, I 'm weird.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Try contacting them directly, they may be able to recommend a demonstration close by?
was interested in them myself several years ago, but no UK importer and think potential re-sale in the future may be difficult as a consequence.
Best of luck to you.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
There's a dealer, Blue Skies Audio, in San Diego; I'll be driving over Saturday the 23rd to hear his.. The $35K Majestic 745s appear to be right for my room.. I'm REALLY looking forward to this.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Doesn't Microstrip still use his? Below is his system description:

"Wilson Audio XLF, Soundlab A1 PX electrostatic speakers, VTL SiegfriedII/ 7.5mk3 , REF3 phono, Metronome C2A and Metronome Calypso Reference, DCS Vivaldi stack, SME30/2-SMEV, Forsell Air Force One turntable with air bearing flywheel , EMT927 with SME3012R, van den Hul KOA signature stradivarius, Sumiko Palo Santos, Kiseky Agate ruby,

Transparent Audio OPUS MM2 signal and speaker cables, Transparent Audio XL digital and clock cables, Transparent Audio Reference power,

Room front-wall zone treated with PRG diffusors, abbfusors, flutter-free and large custom membrane bass traps."

Analog Scott

Jun 21, 2017
I have Sound Lab S3s in my living room. There’s a lot to like about Sound Labs but they are inherently flawed. You just are not going to get anything close to state of the art bass or dynamics

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had in 1991 A1 and sub mono B1
Cut at 100 hz with crossover ML LNC2 mono and 4 pair bridged ML N 20
A1 very good,could be a little little roll off on high but very good mid amd homogeneous sound
Sub B1 impressive,very powerful and very deep bass
The best sub listened in my life
A friend had the A6 but A1 better

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
I have Sound Lab S3s in my living room. There’s a lot to like about Sound Labs but they are inherently flawed. You just are not going to get anything close to state of the art bass or dynamics
I've heard a pair last week, and those characteristics were just fine for me.. That system was the best-sounding I've EVER heard, and I intend to buy a pair of Majestic 745s.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I've heard a pair last week, and those characteristics were just fine for me.. That system was the best-sounding I've EVER heard, and I intend to buy a pair of Majestic 745s.
650027597_thumb_fa233745ee6a0a15d6689c3ba64b816e.jpg ''

This beauty was available until yesterday.

But this listing expired as not sold.

If you are interested in this monster, you may contact seller.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
View attachment 124713 ''

This beauty was available until yesterday.

But this listing expired as not sold.

If you are interested in this monster, you may contact seller.
Too tall for me!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
650027597_thumb_fa233745ee6a0a15d6689c3ba64b816e.jpg ++

This one is listed again at lower price.

If I have space for this, I would like to add this as second system but the only space that I have for this one is on the first floor which will be too small 18ft wide 15ft deep 10ft high.
It is going to be near filed. :cool:

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I found one video.

If I take this ,then Scaena have to move to third floor. This one shall take place in my main listeing room on the second floor which is 16 W 20 D 20 h .

But that is only marginal for this beauty or monster. ;)

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
The Majestic 745s have been ordered for a couple months and MIGHT be here by the end of April.. I've been evaluating amps using my Vandersteen 7.2s:
--Pass X260.8s--fabulous sound but too much heat, and these are the class-A/B versions!
--Ayre MR-Xs--sublime-sounding on my 7.2s and at-least-temporary keepers
--PS Audio Stellar M1200s--excellent for the money and probably at least very good overall
--Classé Delta Monos--to be retrieved at the freight company today.. MIGHT be broken-in by the time the M745s arrive.

My Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monos are for sale on USAudioMart, and my improved and much loved Atma-Sphere MA-1/3.1s will be for sale soon; their sin is the output of too much heat for my conscience to tolerate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had in 1990 A1 with sub B1 cut at 100 hz with 8 ML 20,one pair bridged to have 400 watt instead 100 watts, so one pair for speaker.
Sound was really impressive.

I will be very curious to listen this last models, but in Italy no distributor

Reactions: puroagave

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
I’m driving my SoundLab M1 with Atmasphere MA2 mk3 amps, also have a pair of VTL MB450

ChrisSoundLab

Apr 17, 2024
Japan
Just in case Jeff or anyone has any questions on Sound Lab I'm happy to help. I will be at the audio show in Oakland showing 2 models from Sound Lab if that is of any interest. There is quite a bit going on with Sound Lab that most don't really know, my website is still under construction, but the information is available and I can discuss of course. Website: https://soundlabelectrostats.com and I have made a couple of youtube videos which you can access from the website showing the speaker and interviewing Dr. West.

ChrisSoundLab

Apr 17, 2024
Japan
For example if anyone might wonder if there are more narrow models available for smaller rooms, there are ... these are 20" wide, the most narrow model which has a cell width of 3 cells.

Attachments

• SoundLab Takamatsu Takako Room-016.jpeg
    SoundLab Takamatsu Takako Room-016.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8

ChrisSoundLab

Apr 17, 2024
Japan
Thank you, yes, that is correct. The latest generation backplate (from about 1 year ago) has been effectively set at '0'. There were a couple of reasons for this but mainly the decision was made to use an air-coil (which avoids saturation) rather than metal core inductor and is overall a better construction for the backplate. Thanks for noticing.

Reactions: Bso

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing