How do you "flex" or show nuance of your music system for visitors?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hmmm, sorta varies depending on my mood, but some stalwarts are:
"I'm Coming Virginia" from 'Get a New Broom and Dust The Blues Away' (Guy van Duser)(Rounder)
"St. James Infirmary" from the AP reissue of the old Audio Fidelity record (either 33 or 45)
88 Basie St- pretty much any cut, from the 45 rpm reissue
Rickie Lee Jones S/T- 'All Star Joint' (UK pressing*l)
'Old Man' or 'Heart of Gold' from the Neil Young Greatest Hits (was that a Classic reissue?)

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Rutter's Pie Jesu (Reference Recordings - Professor Johnson)...that organ combined with the chorus is breathtaking.

After that, pretty much whatever music I've got which they know...usually they are surprised at how much more they hear which they've never heard before...thus, its not infrequent for visitors to ask if it's actually a different version of the song.

Thanks. There are a couple heavy hitting LPs from RR that are in my sonic delight rotation as well.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
"I'm Coming Virginia" from 'Get a New Broom and Dust The Blues Away' (Guy van Duser)(Rounder)
"St. James Infirmary" from the AP reissue of the old Audio Fidelity record (either 33 or 45)
'Old Man' or 'Heart of Gold' from the Neil Young Greatest Hits (was that a Classic reissue?)

Great choices Bill. Thanks for sharing.

Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Here's some I like to play.

Rickie Lee Jones - It's like this. 45rpm AP reissue.
For Duke - M&K records D2D.
The Bill Cunliffe Trio - Live at Bernies. 45rpm D2D.
Les Brown and his band of renown - Goes Direct to Disc. Very dynamic.
Led Zep 1 Classic Records 33. Wish I had the 45's
Gladiator Soundtrack. 45rpm Shows off the systems ability to do large scale music.

Sean

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i had a long time audiophile buddy over during the newport show and he chose cuts form the following, he's a dyed in the wool 'vinylsaur' LP only:

Blood sweat and tears - eponymous, ORG 45 rpm
phoebe snow - eponymous, APO 45 rpm
deadman walking - OST, classic record 3-lp box
bruce springsteen - the ghost of tom joad
wilco, billy bragg - mermaid avenue
amanda palmer - performs radiohead covers on her ukelele
angus and julia stone - down the way
nick lowe - the convincer
john cale & lou reed - songs for drella, 180g reissue
the pentangle - eponymous, orig 1st UK press
pete townsend, ronnie lane - rough mix, classic 180g
john klemmer - straight from the heart, D2D
branford marsalis - trio jeepy
Glory - OST, classic records

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
i had a long time audiophile buddy over during the newport show and he chose cuts form the following, he's a dyed in the wool 'vinylsaur' LP only:

Some of the stuff on your list was very high on mine and forgotten, particularly the Phoebe Snow record- I have a bunch of early Asylum pressings of that record that sound glorious. (Haven't tried the reissue) You're gonna make me drag one out. Thanks, Puro!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Some of the stuff on your list was very high on mine and forgotten, particularly the Phoebe Snow record- I have a bunch of early Asylum pressings of that record that sound glorious. (Haven't tried the reissue) You're gonna make me drag one out. Thanks, Puro!

Whart, do yourself a favor and get both the BS&T and Phoebe snow 45 rpm reissues. no matter how many times you think you heard "poetry man" "spinning wheel" or "you've made me so very happy" the SQ on these records will astound you. goes to show what some of these master tapes must really sound like when you 'take the gloves off' so to speak.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Think the St. James Infirmary is a Classic reissue. Mark and I heard the tape played in Mike Spitz's room at RMAF last year. I think it was 30 IPS IIRC.

I don't think Classic reissued the Neil Young but I could have missed it. :(

88 Basie is great and have that one on 15 ips tape too.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's some I like to play.

Rickie Lee Jones - It's like this. 45rpm AP reissue.
For Duke - M&K records D2D.
The Bill Cunliffe Trio - Live at Bernies. 45rpm D2D.
Les Brown and his band of renown - Goes Direct to Disc. Very dynamic.
Led Zep 1 Classic Records 33. Wish I had the 45's
Gladiator Soundtrack. 45rpm Shows off the systems ability to do large scale music.

Sean

I could have easily had the your first two choices on my list too! Have the Bill Cunliffe but don't even know if I ever listened to it :( Maybe I should :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Good stuff. I think the Ghost of Tom Joad is the best sounding Springsteen album, that are on the whole usually pretty dreadful sounding.

I liked the Phoebe Snow but can't say I was blown away by the BS&T. It also varied tremendously in sound quality from track to track. Was there any track among them many there, that you prefer the most?

I also preferred the original Glory to the Classic reissue.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I don't think Classic reissued the Neil Young but I could have missed it. :(

oh they did, as a greatest hits album...in fact hobson & co. had a table at the newport show at the atrium tucked away near the headphone guys, i think most vinyl buyers missed them. we didnt :) my buddy and i 'cleanned house' you wouldnt believe what was there, some really good OOP classic reissue vinyl and the cash price would make you cry - another reason not miss shows.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Whart, do yourself a favor and get both the BS&T and Phoebe snow 45 rpm reissues. no matter how many times you think you heard "poetry man" "spinning wheel" or "you've made me so very happy" the SQ on these records will astound you. goes to show what some of these master tapes must really sound like when you 'take the gloves off' so to speak.

10-4.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Good stuff. I think the Ghost of Tom Joad is the best sounding Springsteen album, that are on the whole usually pretty dreadful sounding.

I liked the Phoebe Snow but can't say I was blown away by the BS&T. It also varied tremendously in sound quality from track to track. Was there any track among them many there, that you prefer the most?

I also preferred the original Glory to the Classic reissue.

if you mean born to run, one the greatest rock albums ever with equally bad sonics, then yes. tunnel of love was well recorded and worth seeking out on vinyl. i love the songs on nebraska but the SQ is meh.

re the BS&T: if you're talking about the opening, "variations..." it does sound muddled a bit but "smiling phase" "god bless the child" are stand outs.

I had an original copy of the Glory Lp I let go years ago and now they sell for stoopid money on epay. i found a still-sealed classic reissue at hobson's store for like $30 - mine!

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This thread is a little bittersweet. I've been very fortunate to develop great friendships through my audio hobby and for me, listening to music is much more fun when you get to enjoy with others.

I usually play what folks want to hear but if I'm getting my audio geek on I play "Keith Don't Go" or anything by Diana Krall ;)...I usally like to impress folks with standard, non-audiophile records including:

"The Things We Do For Love", 10cc, (Deceptive Bends, Mercury, 1977)
"Back In Black", AC/DC (Back In Black, 1980, RL Masterdisk pressing)
"Take Five", Dave Brubeck, (Time Out, 1958, Original Columbia 6-eye mono)
"Slowness", Calexico (Carried To Dust, Quarterstick 2008)
"Old Fashioned Love", Benny Carter (Jazz Giant, Contemporary, 1958, mono)
"Solitary Man" Johnny Cash (American III, Sony, 2000)
"Going Home", Leonard Cohen (Old Ideas, Columbia, 2012)
"Music Is Love", David Crosby (If I Could Only Remember My Name, Atlantic, 1971)
"Seasons Trees" Danger Mouse (Rome, Capitol, 2011)
"Round About Midnight", Miles Davis (Round About Midnight, Columbia, 1955, 6 eye mono)
"So What", Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, Columbia, 1959, 6 eye mono)
"Don't Do Nothing 'Til You Hear From Me" Duke Ellington/Ray Brown (This One's For Blanton, Pablo, 1972)
"I Remember You" Eilen Jewell (Queen of the Minor Key, Signature Sounds, 2011)
"A Night In Tunisia" Great Jazz Trio (Direct From LA, East Wind, 1977)
"God's Children" Gutter Twins (Saturnalia, Subpop, 2008)
"Scope" Buck Hill, (Scope, Steeplechase, 1979)
"High Cost of Living Is Nothing Like the Cost of Living High" Jamey Johnson (That Lonesome Song, Mercury, 2008)
"Your Old Lady" David Lindley (El Rayo-X, Asylum, 1981)
"Cry Me A River" Julie London (Julie Is Her Name, Liberty, 1955)
"Beds Are Burning" Midnight Oil (Diesel and Dust, Sony, 1990)
"Bunny" Gerry Mulligan & Johnny Hodges (Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges, Verve, 1959, mono)
"Chelsea Bridge" Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster (Mulligan Meets Webster, Verve, 1959, mono)
"All Apologies" Nirvana (Unplugged, Geffen, 1994)
"Windowpane" Opeth (Damnation, Koch, 2003)
"Pressure Drop" Robert Palmer (Pressure Drop, Island, 1975)
"Whims of Chambers" Art Pepper (Gettin' Together, Contemporary, 1960)
"Cottontail" Flip Phillips (A Real Swinger, Concord, 1990)
"Let's Work" Prince (Controversy, Warner Bros, 1981)
"Aguas De Marco" Elis Regina & Jobim, (Elis & Tom, Phillips, 1974)
"Struggle" Keith Richards (Talk Is Cheap, Virgin, 1988)
"Down In the Hole" Rolling Stones (Emotional Rescue, RSR, 1980)
"If I Should Lose You" Sphere (Flight Path, Elektra, 1983) -- someone I know calls this 'the truth'...but what does he know Dre?
"My Favorite Things" Sarah Vaughan (After Hours, Roulette, 1955)
"First We Take Manhattan" Jennifer Warnes (Famous Blue Raincoat, Cypress, 1986)
"To See Her Face" Bobby Watson, (Beatitudes, Evidence, 1985)
"Milestones" Phil Woods, (More Live, Adlephi, 1981)

I also like to use 45 rpm, 12" singles:
"Erotic City" Prince
"Burning Down The House" Talking Heads
"Miss You", Rolling Stones

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
This thread is a little bittersweet. I've been very fortunate to develop great friendships through my audio hobby and for me, listening to music is much more fun when you get to enjoy with others.

I usually play what folks want to hear but if I'm getting my audio geek on I play "Keith Don't Go" or anything by Diana Krall ;)...I usally like to impress folks with standard, non-audiophile records including:

great list doc, much of it I know some is new to me which is the fun part of contributing to these threads for others to contemplate, add to their own wish list, pooh pooh or whatever. for exmple, I found a SS copy of one of whart's fave's "Get a New Broom and Dust The Blues Away" by Guy van Duser and its a duesy! the pickin 'n playing not mention the SQ is top notch - im glad he mentioned it and now im enjoying it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
oh they did, as a greatest hits album...in fact hobson & co. had a table at the newport show at the atrium tucked away near the headphone guys, i think most vinyl buyers missed them. we didnt :) my buddy and i 'cleanned house' you wouldnt believe what was there, some really good OOP classic reissue vinyl and the cash price would make you cry - another reason not miss shows.

Actually I can. ;) They've been selling these albums also through epay and themusic.com.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
if you mean born to run, one the greatest rock albums ever with equally bad sonics, then yes. tunnel of love was well recorded and worth seeking out on vinyl. i love the songs on nebraska but the SQ is meh.

IIRC, Nebraska was recorded on a portable cassette multi-track while on the tour bus. Yea, its ultimate sound quality leaves a lot to be desired, but there's an involving, direct quality to the recording. FWIW, its my favorite Springsteen record.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
These are excellent choices I'm seeing. Thanks to all who are contributing.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's music choices to show off there systems.

I'm looking forward to seeing more flex and nuance listings from others.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing