Your All Time Favorite Preamplifiers?

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I can’t resist chiming in.
i have two favorite preamps. My present one, which is less than 6 months old is a Luxman CL-38uC tube preamplifier. It has a stunningly attractive vintage image with real wood top and sides as well as all sorts of tone controls .
IMG_0874.jpeg
I love that it has a phono stage and that the phono stage is the equivalent of its standalone separate phono stage. IOW, unusually good. It also has one balanced input. I wish it had more, but I’m happy to have one. I confess I can’t discriminate between its contribution to audio excellence versus the Luxman amplifier I have also, the MQ-88uC. How does one tell? I can only say they sound great!k

My second favorite preamplifier is vintage, and I use it paired with a vintage Adcom amplifier at my desktop computer audio system.. It is the Musical Fidelity A3cr. If you were to read a review on this preamplifier perhaps you would see why i like it so much, but here’s an excerpt.
IMG_0107.jpeg
I really enjoy using this preamp and again, the reviewer says it best:

The Musical Fidelity A3CR may not be perfect, but it’s hard to find any major fault. Actually, you need to really exert yourself to find its minor flaws. It is spectacularly well built. It is deliberately over-designed to cope with the widest possible range of sources, cables and power amplifiers. Sonically, it belongs in the top rank of all the preamplifiers I have auditioned.

Reactions: mxk116

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing