Alternative Audio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Over the years, my list of favorite rooms have been largely untreated. Leading with the yamamuras, Vyger - RS - Mayer - Pnoe, multiple dual FLHs including Altecs, Silvercore's room, Leif's etc. Recently the Goto Altec, many videos of which I posted in the SET amp owners thread. The Sigma MAAT with the Kondo was also in a non-custom room. Videos of my favorite rooms post 2019 are available (when I converted to videos from my Munich videos). Unfortunately, Pietro's Yamamura and the Vyger RS Mayer Pnoe, a couple of dual FLHs including silvercores were missed out as they were before that conversion. A couple of custom rooms have been left out

Two days ago I was listening to one of my favorite SETs, the GM70 14 watt amp below. The hORNs Universum was out of position to make way for the Lowther/Beyma cone. the Hana ML had 5 hours on it, and is playing with a 4k Chinese table (arm included). It was one of the most musically engaging systems - will it get much better if the speakers are moved back to position, a Vyger - RS is added to it, etc? Of course. Is it required? Could be, depending on your extent of the hobby.

I now realize this is alternative audio. So those of you not into being hoodwinked by advertising and pricing, please put your hand on your tube and take the alternative audio (AA) pledge.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
First up, When Peter Schreier visited a high end show, he looked at the prices of everything and went Ow! at every label.

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Second, when you give up your NLF days and move from girl with a guitar to guy with a guitar

These were broken up due to size. Somewhere in one of the videos I show the visual mess, there is hardly any treatment in there except for that diffusor in front, minor corner traps

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mono being played on the stereo system. Violin at the end of the clip

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The above experiments with set ups have led to a bit less zing and energy - as is audible from difference to older videos when properly set up. This is audible and representative

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fans of SS and high power are welcome to post their macro slams in reply to 14w underpowering horns. This is a digital recording so you are less exposed to tonal differences so feel free.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh wow what have I found. A well treated room with the universum with much higher, branded power - surely this must be better than the 15+ uni videos on my YT playlist :rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh looky more “neutral, high powered branded solid state” in a very well done room. Can’t choose the best of between this one and the one posted by mono and stereo

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do those Lowthers still have the Whizzer AND a tweeter? Probably WAY to much upper octave energy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hei @bonzo75, what lowther/beyma speakers are these. DIY or a produkt from som manufakturer?

Coppice Audio, new UK speaker.

The ones in the video are all hORNS Universum.

Reactions: kjartanb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing