Ron's Favorite Private Rooms + Systems of All Time

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I prefer the fast light footed dynamics of hi eff, rather than trying to squeeze the cow through the meat grinder...
By being a non meat eater for 50+ years I will never look at my speakers the same. It will always be the sound of cows.:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It seems to me, members when discussing why they like a new componant or a system, in general look for similar attributes.

Low Distortion
Good dynamics
No grain or hash
No fatigue
Cant pinpoint the speaker
Wide and tall soundstage
Full frequency bass and treble extension.
A relatively flat frequenxy response.

These are some of the most obvous attributes we aspire towards. I did not say Natural or organic or close to the real event. Those are too nebulous a term.

If I were to listen to a system that excelled at these basic attributes and it sounded "musical" to me, I would assume most others would too. I would share with others it was a great system. A favorite of mine.

Sorry, this is different. You are listing a system with great properties and saying you liked it and it sounded musical to you. Then you should, of course, state you like it and recommend it to others for listening.

Why would you like a system that lacked many attributes you desired, or had an attribute you hated? What you are saying is the obvious. That is not what Ron said.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I wonder what Ron would think about a Decware Zen amp driving a single full range driver in an appropriate sized room with proper setup and treatments.

More interesting would be walking Ron into a space blindfolded, then setting him into the chair and letting him listen.

My point is that peoples perception of what is your favorite might be heavily influenced by the atmosphere of the room. Its pretty easy to see a large rack of gear in a big fancy room and believe what you are hearing is great. Visual esthetic may be the single largest hindrance to finding the sound one truely likes. That and price of equipment. The oll perception that if it cost more its better.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry, this is different. You are listing a system with great properties and saying you liked it and it sounded musical to you. Then you should, of course, state you like it and recommend it to others for listening.

Why would you like a system that lacked many attributes you desired, or had an attribute you hated? What you are saying is the obvious. That is not what Ron said.
I am not sure how you come to this conclusion this is not how Ron came to the list. I don't think I have seen Ron break each system down for what it does. But that does not mean his perception of what he feels he and.others would like does not encompass a system that has attributes as such. But that is something Ron needs to tell us.

I apologize up front if Ron clearly stated what each system does and how that influenced his rating. Maybe I missed that.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Speaking of a special room :)

Thats an example of a room someone might walk into and your perceptions are profoundly shaped by what you see. Not necessarily what you hear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am not sure how you come to this conclusion this is not how Ron came to the list. I don't think I have seen Ron break each system down for what it does. But that does not mean his perception of what he feels he and.others would like does not encompass a system that has attributes as such. But that is something Ron needs to tell us.

I apologize up front if Ron clearly stated what each system does and how that influenced his rating. Maybe I missed that.

he indicated some might be his preferences some might be others. It is not clear these are his favourites

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
That's the point. If it would be just Ron's opinions on Ron's favorite rooms, there would be no objections. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as you say.

The objections arose from extending the term "favorite" to something not applicable, as discussed.

exactly. Each is entitled to his own opinion about his personal preferences. It is when someone arrrogates fore-knowledge of other's opinions that it becomes presumptive of the authority to make such judgements.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Why is this so spun up over if Ron likes it personally or if he feels its something most people would like.

I do wish there was more detail about what goes into these systems. How the room was built. What is the electrical supply. How was the internet handled. What is the racking and footers/isolation. Gear.
Then, what sonic attributes are apparent that make it stand out. He could then explain what he likes and what others might like. Currently the focus is far from what makes these rooms a part of his list. Its useless hot air.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
exactly. Each is entitled to his own opinion about his personal preferences. It is when someone arrrogates fore-knowledge of other's opinions that it becomes presumptive of the authority to make such judgements.
not sure that Ron holds himself apart or above others (arrogates?) in his knowledge of 'other's' preferences. although he likely sees himself as more unique in his personal preferences, hence is aware more of the offset/correction for where he is not mainstream in his preferences. acknowledges where other might go. so adjusts for his differences; likely his rough edges have been ground down.. he sees a bigger picture. nothing new for him.

but nothing arrogant about it comparatively. not that feathers are not ruffled. he has not come up with an acronym for mainstream.

friends I most often listen with have somewhat different sonic compasses than myself. and over the years I can recognize systems that appeal more to them, or systems they might not care for as much as I do. and we acknowledge systems that might please either of us and value those attributes even if not quite one our personal priorities. over time we seem to be more alike in our preferences, which started out just with a respect for the differences. we evolve.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
not sure that Ron holds himself apart or above others (arrogates?) in his knowledge of 'other's' preferences. although he likely sees himself as more unique in his personal preferences, hence is aware more of the offset/correction for where he is not mainstream in his preferences. acknowledges where other might go. so adjusts for his differences. he sees a bigger picture. nothing new for him.

but nothing arrogant about it comparatively. not that feathers are not ruffled. he has not come up with an acronym for mainstream.

friends I most often listen with have somewhat different sonic compasses than myself. and over the years I can recognize systems that appeal more to them, or systems they might not care for as much as I do. and we acknowledge systems that might please either of us and value those attributes even if not quite one our personal priorities. over time we seem to be more alike in our preferences, which started out just with a respect for the differences. we evolve.

lol this is a much better rational explanation of Ron’s objective then Ron himself gave

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
LOL! To add the keelhauling, I doubt that Ron would ever visit a DIY guy's basement irregular montage or 'ugly' system even if it sounded great. Favorites will be 1. Clean and orderly as a showroom and visually neat or pretty 2. Bigga Badda 3. Expensivo 4. Consisting mostly if not all of currently commercially available brand name top end merchandise 5. Antiseptically correct to the extent it is possible to be so 6. Polite and diplomatic to said systems 7. Tilted toward the mutual admiration society buddy systems of high end audio 8. Geared toward 'accepted' mainstream audio commercial mythologies

So, to the extent of the obvious filters, I am sure that the opinions are otherwise sincere. That doesn't mean they aren't useful or interesting, that kind of audio tourism IS fun. I wouldn't mind doing it for a while as a luxury ride.

It is like Kedar. It is probably a lot of fun to BE Kedar. However, trying to extract meaningful advice is like untangling a whirling dervish in a cotton candy factory. Still, I would love to BE Kedar for a couple of weeks/months with all the plane tickets and cushy audiophile systems to audition. After all, the reports are fun and consist mainly of ENTERTAINMENT not brain surgery, as Nelson Pass likes to say.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
LOL! To add the keelhauling, I doubt that Ron would ever visit a DIY guy's basement irregular montage or 'ugly' system even if it sounded great. Favorites will be 1. Clean and orderly as a showroom and visually neat or pretty 2. Bigga Badda 3. Expensivo 4. Consisting mostly if not all of currently commercially available brand name top end merchandise 5. Antiseptically correct to the extent it is possible to be so 6. Polite and diplomatic to said systems 7. Tilted toward the mutual admiration society buddy systems of high end audio 8. Geared toward 'accepted' mainstream audio commercial mythologies
Well summarised.

• Love
Reactions: PeterA and Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
However, trying to extract meaningful advice is like untangling a whirling dervish in a cotton candy factory.
you are not reading between the lines correctly then. For me, a lot of it is cotton Candy (cheap sugar), and very few those are

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I doubt that Ron would ever visit a DIY guy's basement irregular montage or 'ugly' system even if it sounded great.

A DIY system constructed by a hobbyist is totally eligible for this list and tiering system. My only hesitation in traveling long distance to hear a DIY system is that I think it would be of relatively less interest than a system composed either of commercially available new components or of available used or vintage components because a DIY system has less general interest and less informational transferability.

I don't really care what a system looks like. I think David's Bionors are not in high-end furniture grade condition. He has a huge rat's nest of cables. It never occurred to me to care about those aspects.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing