Your All Time Favorite Preamplifiers?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
My late father was a firm believer in the preamp being the prime component with all inputs and outputs passing through. Prior to purchasing the first beverage rm-1/rm2 preamp in the Uk, he used the little known laboratory reference preamp from Luxman (before they entered a more mid-market product phase which lasted a considerable time before rising to provenance again). A fine pre from memory, whilst the beverage was considerably superior to the arc sp10 considered to be SOTA in the early to mid 80’s

ajant

Jan 14, 2017
I would say that the Leben was the nicest preamp from a build quality perspective. The passive slagel autoformers where great where more gain was not needed, but extremely revealing and could be quite tiring if the source material was not tip-top. I like my Aikido and use it a lot, but the best of the lot and most flexible is probably the inexpensive DIY B1Korg.

Much of my source material (uncompressed CD track rips; no SACDs or vinyl), are 60s pop, r&b and soundtracks, which were often victims of excessively applied compression. And some tracks during multi-vocal passages and when orchestrations get busy sound “congested”; possibly due to poor miking/baffling (??), other acoustical and/or electronic causes. So, while not outright crappy (??), much of my music was certainly less than pristinely recorded and/or mastered, even though almost all were issued by major labels.

Further complicating matters was that I had originally attempted to wed this superb midwoofers with cone HF and MF drivers.

Luckily, I caught that mistake before wasting time and funds. Troy Crowe and I are now deciding among horn drivers to finish this build. The trouble is that no matter which drivers are chosen I might end up not smiling so much while those speakers are playing anything but my tip-top quality CDs. No doubt that’s one reason why so many horn speaker owners prefer SACDs and even less than high quality vinyl over most music released only on CD.

Thus, while I do have some well recorded and well mastered CDs, perhaps the only way to make most of my stuff sound more pleasing is through careful preamp selection-and/or, where possible, tube rolling and “voicing”, as Aikido owner PierreQuiRoule suggested.

To this end, I’ve heard the Aikido described as very neutral sounding. Whether this is true and/or is the same as transparent sounding, while either may be an asset for playing high resolution source material, how would such a preamp feeding my First Watt F4 power amp driving my >94db/m/watt horn speakers present my more sonically troubled CD tracks?

I’m hoping that the Aikido, built with high quality parts and using the right tubes would somehow behave friendlier towards most of my CDs. If yes, please suggest the best caps, even some of more costly Jupiter models. If the values are too big to fit on John Broskie’s updated Noval board, I might elect to ask John and Phil Marchand about the tradeoffs of redesigning the board to accommodate them.

John also mentions here that he suspects tighter bass can be realized with an electrolytic-free power supply. https://tubecad.com/2018/03/blog0415.htm

Also important to know is which are the tubes known to create the most lifelike imaging and largest sound stage?

But which are the tubes which may be too revealing for my more crappier sounding CDs?

Alternately, is there another preamp which would be altogether better for my situation, such the Nelson Pass B1 Korg Triode, or others?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
One of my all time favorites is the EAR 912, one of Tim DeParvacini's true masterpieces. And like great pre-amplifiers of yore it comes with a killer phono stage! Still available and eminently affordable.

Attachments

• Hero_912Front.jpg
    Hero_912Front.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: MRJAZZ and Tangram

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One of my all time favorites is the EAR 912, one of Tim DeParvacini's true masterpieces. And like great pre-amplifiers of yore it comes with a killer phono stage! Still available and eminently affordable.
I have read great things about that piece. We have his EAR Yoshino HP4 headphone amp...not a super-knowledgeable person about headphones but after a ton of reading, some listening and a lot of asking, I really really liked the sound coming out of the HP4 and then paired it with the Meze Empyreans. Both acquired separately second hand...so a nice deal to boot!

Reactions: gleeds

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Lots of favourites.

I think that a preamp plays a significant role in one's system but I also have to say that every component is system dependent. So hard to pick the one that rules them all, lol!

The other major factor is listener preference. It's easy to say we want it to be true to the original recording or to to a live performance or pick your criteria but what does that really mean to most of us?

I was out to the Block Heater festival in Calgary the other night. The concert by three performers was in a church and to my ear the sonics were excellent. Domonique Fils Amie was the only artist I had heard before and she was excellent. Did she sound like the Qobuz streams on my system, of course not she was much better live!! Did the sound on my system hold true to her performance? I am pleased to say it did for the most part. Could another system have been better, well maybe/of course but how would one know. And that comes down to our personal audio acuity or references.

So my feeling is that after you get past components that just don't sound proper it becomes progressively more difficult to find that what's best sound. It is just to connected to system dependence and personal preference.

Having said that although I have my favourites I also enjoy the commentary and experience of the people on this forum. I try to keep an open mind and I am always wiling to learn and experience new things.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
i have heard the Aries Cerat (not sure the models) a few times at shows and was impressed.

others that would interest me would include the big Lamm, Robert Koda, and Kondo. i hear great things about the Audio Research Ref 10. i've not lived with any of those.
Mike
The model you referred to is the Aries Cerat Ianus Ageto Preamp. I have owned one for about two months now. It made a significant difference in my listening pleasure. I have tried to find an amp / pre that I could play at lower sound levels that would still provide great musical detail. I can listen to music at gain level 1 and I am floored by what I hear that I was not hearing before. Previously I hade the Lampi Horizon direct to Aries Cerat Ianus Essentia mono amps and I thought that was great. The Ageto just takes it to the ultimate next level.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
That I have heard or owned

VAC Master
Westminster Quest (biased)
Riviera APL01
darTZeel 18NS

Vintage:
HK Citation 11 (no tone controls in the circuit path)
Levinson LNP-2
Audio Research SP-11 lnp-2.jpg

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Jeff Rowland Design Group Coherence II S2 Preamp

1709516784853.jpeg

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
Pass Labs XS Pre. I had the Mark Levinson no. 32 many years ago and the Pass is better still.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Anyone here who has experience with JMF Audio PRS 1.5?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: mtemur

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Reactions: DasguteOhr

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
…but it went on succesfully with Consummate, Coherence II Series II, latest Synergy IIi, Criterion or Corus with PSU…
Even the smaller latest Capri S2-SC should be outstanding.
Jeff Rowland had so many fantastic products over the many years. Astonishing, that he could achieve a characteristic house sound with so many different technologies over the years.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I have always loved this piece and the model 1 and 3 amplifiers! Way ahead of its time.
yes the model 1 sonorous sound combined with electrostatic speaker or high resolving speakers like triangle (france)a perfect synergy love it. looks pretty in titanum grey. one of my favorites with martin logan cls.
Exsample martin logan jeff rowland

Reactions: fizzletop

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Lamm Industries LL2.1 Deluxe
IMG_3395.png
CSPort C3PR
IMG_3396.jpeg
Wells Audio Commander
IMG_3397.jpeg
Dynamic Sound Associates Pre 1
IMG_3399.png
Very nice

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing