Your All Time Favorite Preamplifiers?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
The Khozmo passive eventually arrived repackaged by good ol’ Border Force.
Thankfully no damage occurred to the unit and after warming up, testing in my spare system, it was ready to replace my Java LDR preamp.

Right off the bat it is dynamic with a silent background and has a silky sound compared to the Java which had a touch of grain or distortion. Now I have a good volume range of about 20 ‘clicks’ compared to only 4 on the Java.

This unit has 25K Z foil and Amtrans AMRT resistors with1 set of inputs and 2 sets outputs. Includes an aluminium remote and slick volume knob.

I’m impressed, well done Arek.

IMG_0851.jpeg IMG_0858.jpeg

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I need to update my choice … been doing an in home demo of the VAC Statement system and the Statement preamp would now be my favorite Pre of all time. Soon to be on order!

George

Reactions: Thieliste

Porsche

Apr 22, 2023
Burmester 077

Reactions: sujay

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Recentyl I had the chance to listen to the new

Air Tight ATC 7

Tube Premamplifier. And I liked the Pre a lot, now the Pre is playing in a second set up, which I do enjoy more and more.
(together with the Air Tight ATE 3011 Phonostage)

IMG_3163.jpg IMG_3165.jpg

Porsche

Apr 22, 2023

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
A customer sent these photos recently of his Signature Edition preamps (you need two for stereo) View attachment 120709
View attachment 120711
They are handwired point to point with the audio circuitry on a subchassis built to minimize vibration and coupling from the chassis.
Ralph, what sonic advantages do you hear with a true dual mono setup like this?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I vote for VAC Master.

Reactions: Bbock

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Love that PD444. After purchasing my PD277, the same seller went to sell his PD444 as well. Unfortunately, it sold before I got a chance at it.

On topic of favorite preamps, mine started with the mint Accuphase C-200. I recapped it and it performed flawlessly for years. A full body sound, loads of features and 3 phono inputs!

A few years later, my second favorite preamp was the Musical Fidelity A3.2CR. Oddly enough, it had a similar sound signature to the Accuphase C-200, though leaning a touch more toward the neutral side but still full bodied with a smooth top end.

Of course, this list wouldn't be complete without my current preamp, which is also the best preamp I have ever owned, the Pass Labs XP-20. Super quiet, dynamic, expressive, detailed, refined, punchy, exciting. I love this preamp and plan on keeping it for a very long time. I have no urge to upgrade.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Ralph, what sonic advantages do you hear with a true dual mono setup like this?
Its hard to explain but it was very easy to listen to. I've been thinking about that a lot; if I had to boil it down to something simple, it made other preamps I've heard have a sort of forced quality by comparison. IOW music seemed to flow in an unfettered way that was very beguiling.

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
at a certain point not having an active preamp will reduce energy and substance from the music. better sources and better amps deserve the better signal delivery that a top preamp can deliver. hard to define where that line is as far as dollars. but it's easy to hear.
perfect consideration! if you have to use a passive preamp then go for digital control from your DAC, or directly with attenuators on the final amplifier.
I am absolutely against removing the preamplifier which I think is the most important component of the entire audio system!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
perfect consideration!
thanks.
if you have to use a passive preamp then go for digital control from your DAC, or directly with attenuators on the final amplifier.
I am absolutely against removing the preamplifier which I think is the most important component of the entire audio system!
that decision would come down to expectations and the particular dac; the implementation of the digital volume control and the synergy between your amps and dac and your cable and cable length. generally not a fan of digital attenuation. but at some price points might be the best, least harmful, way to go.

OTOH; i think that MSB (Select II and Reference) does this right; they use a high quality passive volume attenuator in their dacs; even designed to synergize with the MSB amplifiers. so there are high quality ways to go direct digital only without an active preamp.

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
that decision would come down to expectations and the particular dac; the implementation of the digital volume control and the synergy between your amps and dac and your cable and cable length. generally not a fan of digital attenuation. but at some price points might be the best, least harmful, way to go.
I use the Totaldac Sublime, which has an excellent digital volume control system, but honestly using dedicated premamplifiers from Dissanayake Audio there is no possibility of comparison, but the opposite would be strange! Dissanayake has dedicated a lifetime to premamplifiers after over 50 years of research and development, his tube pieces produce a holographic plasma of pure energy!

It makes me smile when people think they can do without a preamp! ...

knotscott

Sep 26, 2023
Rochester, NY
CAT SL-1. It seems every time I happen upon an absolutely incredible system, a CAT SL-1 is front and center. Wonderful sounding preamp.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Its hard to explain but it was very easy to listen to. I've been thinking about that a lot; if I had to boil it down to something simple, it made other preamps I've heard have a sort of forced quality by comparison. IOW music seemed to flow in an unfettered way that was very beguiling.
I have no idea what that means.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing