Wilson Audio drivers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It has long been rumored that Wilson uses "of the shelf" drivers. If true (...)

It is wrong. Since long Wilson have distributed literature and marketing highlighting their customizing of drive units.
They are known to use elements from the top drivers of ScanSpeak, Focal and SB Acoustics.

Reactions: ScottK

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
this is what you do when someone takes your statement out of context.
"...there is nothing wrong usind "spec" drivers."
Indeed that may actually increase cost because you have inserted a middleman.
"

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
FWIW, John is now a high level employee at dCS. He is a very nice guy and, in my view, a good writer.

I agree. As former Director of Sales and Marketing at Wilson I suspect John Giolas is sorely missed. He was with them for a long time. I knew him as he set up each of my three Wilson speakers. He is a superb writer; I read the difference between his work and what has come after. He is also a top-notch large format photographer. A true asset to the industry.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
And finally, the experience and knowledge. Which is priceless. Skilled craftsmen and engineers are worth their weight in gold.
that's exactly why all the big companies buy their speakers here or have them manufactured there according to their specifications. companies like scanspeak only select or build the components together coil, membrane etc.. production is in germany

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I own a pair of Magico A-5's in a second system. My main stereo has Wilson Alexx V. The A-5 was well reviewed and I was curious about the sound from a company known for the use of exotic cone technology. Understanding price differences I heard nothing better from the Magico speaker cone technology than Wilson except for a slight preference for the A-5 Beryllium tweeter. Ultimately I think its the way in which the speaker components (i.e cabinet, crossover, design typology, etc ) work together that is the key rather than some single "super" material.

Reactions: Audiophile666

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023
I own a pair of Magico A-5's in a second system. My main stereo has Wilson Alexx V. The A-5 was well reviewed and I was curious about the sound from a company known for the use of exotic cone technology. Understanding price differences I heard nothing better from the Magico speaker cone technology than Wilson except for a slight preference for the A-5 Beryllium tweeter. Ultimately I think its the way in which the speaker components (i.e cabinet, crossover, design typology, etc ) work together that is the key rather than some single "super" material.
Yes
It's just at the price of which the Wilsons are sold I'd expect more exotic drivers
Focal uses Beryllium on much cheaper speakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why don't they use exotic materials like Beryllium or diamond ?

Totally subjectively I have yet to find a single box speaker using beryllium drivers* or diamond drivers that I like the sound of. Inevitably I find box speakers using such drivers to be too dry or sterile or analytical or bright for me.

Just because a component is expensive or exotic, you cannot assume that you will subjectively like the sound of it.

*Rockport's beryllium tweeters are an exception to this general finding for me.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Totally subjectively I have yet to find a single box speaker using beryllium drivers* or diamond drivers that I like the sound of. Inevitably I find box speakers using such drivers to be too dry or sterile or analytical or bright for me.

Just because a component is expensive or exotic, you cannot assume that you will subjectively like the sound of it.

You said jehovah( life of brian) all the TAD boys are already fetching pebbles ...joke. :p
this speaker can produce beautiful trebles with berlliyrum. one of the best speakers I know.

P.S Beryllium is known as the "most toxic non-radioactive element". No way in my home

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There are two approaches to design. You can try to perfect existing technology, or you can innovate. According to the law of diminishing returns sometimes the former can be very expensive.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
There are two approaches to design. You can try to perfect existing technology, or you can innovate. According to the law of diminishing returns sometimes the former can be very expensive.
True. Sometimes there is a radical break thru but it's rare. Most "improvement' is refinement. Charles Eames said "invent at last resort". I think Wilson has years of experience with paper and has constantly pushed its development while keeping an eye on other materials. In the same way I'm amazed vinyl, after over 100 years, still sounds so good compared to other "high tech" alternatives.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
1898: Oliver Lodge developed the first experimental moving coil loudspeaker in 1898. 1915: Peter L. Jensen and Edwin Pridham designed the first practical moving coil loudspeakers.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville

I have owned both B&Ws with diamond, and Revel with Be.

I loved both … but prefer Wilson’s musicality.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Are they both set up the same? There is a huge difference, both in bass and midrange (and tweeter obviously). Particularly in micro dynamics, overall resolution and compression at high SPL (on tweet). If you are not hearing that, you may have not optimized your A5 setup.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Are they both set up the same? There is a huge difference, both in bass and midrange (and tweeter obviously). Particularly in micro dynamics, overall resolution and compression at high SPL (on tweet). If you are not hearing that, you may have not optimized your A5 setup.
No, and I realize the comparison is very casual. Different rooms and electronics. All I can say is up until 6 days ago I had the Alexia 1 in my main system which was a 12 year old design with paper speakers. I still preferred its sound, especially the imaging. Wilson time alignment strategy is very effective. Honestly I love the A-5's but I'm just pointing out that paper is still very competitive.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Totally subjective. I am surprised you like the A5; typically, Magico and Wilson are at the opposite people's tastes. I had the Alexia 2 in my system for couple of weeks. Lets just say that I do not share your observations.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Totally subjective. I am surprised you like the A5; typically, Magico and Wilson are at the opposite people's tastes. I had the Alexia 2 in my system for couple of weeks. Lets just say that I do not share your observations.
Everything in audio is subjective. That's well understood. And yes I like a wide range of sound and speakers just like I like a wide range of music and food etc. Never understood the there's only one speaker for me philosophy.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
YOu
Everything in audio is subjective. That's well understood. And yes I like a wide range of sound and speakers just like I like a wide range of music and food etc. Never understood the there's only one speaker for me philosophy.
...I still preferred its sound, especially the imaging. Wilson time alignment strategy is very effective.
Your words. Why not keep the Alexia if that is what you prefer? It's rhetorical, I am good ;)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
You said jehovah( life of brian) all the TAD boys are already fetching pebbles ...joke. :p
this speaker can produce beautiful trebles with berlliyrum. one of the best speakers I know.

P.S Beryllium is known as the "most toxic non-radioactive element". No way in my home

The Beryllium foils used are completely safe. For Be to be dangerous you would need to grind it and inhale the dust.

Rob :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing