Wilson Audio drivers

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023
What drivers do they use ? Which company makes them ?
Why don't they use exotic materials like Beryllium or diamond ?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It has long been rumored that Wilson uses "of the shelf" drivers. If true, there is nothing wrong usind "spec" drivers. They claim to have listened to all sorts of exotic drivers and find conventional drivers to be best. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. It is results, that matter.
The real question is what drives the costs. Getting the best drivers, conventional or otherwise can be expensive. Michael Fremer suggested it cost money to give your employee's health insurance. No one ever proved they actually get health insurance.
One thing is for sure, fit and finish is precise. They make great speakers that can compete with the best.

Reactions: Audiophile666

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
If I am not mistaken, Wilson's drivers are mainly sourced from a company called SB acoustics located in Malaysia. It was founded by several Danish engineers from Scan Speak who sought to establish a speaker manufacturing company that used Danish Scan Speak engineering but coupled with the reduced manufacturing costs in Malaysia that they could not achieve in Europe.

Last edited:

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023
It has long been rumored that Wilson uses "of the shelf" drivers. If true, there is nothing wrong usind "spec" drivers. They claim to have listened to all sorts of exotic drivers and find conventional drivers to be best. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. It is results, that matter.
The real question is what drives the costs. Getting the best drivers, conventional or otherwise can be expensive. Michael Fremer suggested it cost money to give your employee's health insurance. No one ever proved they actually get health insurance.
One thing is for sure, fit and finish is precise. They make great speakers that can compete with the best.
If they use off the shelf drivers and nothing exotic like Beryllium
What justifies the high price ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Fit and finish. I visited Steve and witnessed first hand the precision. Just getting the finish takes hours of sanding and painting. Precision alignment of the drivers. When you use off the shelf drivers do you realize how many of them don't make the cut. Even if you don't' give them health insurance ,you can't hire teenagers out of high school. You need experienced craftsman and technicians. Then you have to pay therm well enough so they don't leave and start there owwn company.
Yes there is some snob appeal.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
If they use off the shelf drivers and nothing exotic like Beryllium
What justifies the high price ?
This rumor is incorrect. Wilson does use driver manufacturers to do a partial build to Wilson specs and then they finish the drivers at Wilson. Wilson does extensive development in house. They have tested exotics like beryllium and diamond and rejected these materials based on performance.
You don’t buy Wilson on specs. You buy them on your personal evaluation of their performance.

Reactions: analogsa and gleeds

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I been around for awhile. The rumor was once correct. They evolved. Which is why IMO their speakers have gotten so much better.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I been around for awhile. The rumor was once correct. They evolved. Which is why IMO their speakers have gotten so much better.
When DAW was young and doing development of his advanced Kluges, it was true. It has not been true for a long time.
I wish there were more first rate dealers who are capable of giving a good demo. But there aren’t. In another thread someone said that even LMC in Scottsdale had not given a convincing demo.

Wilson has literally evolved from a garage level kid built Mom and Pop operation to what it is today. They do have significant overhead at this point. Wilson is still a “family “ business, but the actual workers are skilled craftspeople.

If they weren’t able to deliver the goods, the wait would not be as long as it is. I used to shake my head when someone told me they liked them. I was not an easy convert. But at this point, I can’t imagine giving them up.

I have had many Stereophile class A rated speakers over the years. At this point it is very clear to me that there is a HUGE range of performance that Stereophile is willing to lump together in their class A category.

Anyone who is seriously interested in the Wilson evolution will enjoy John Giolas’s history book. It is well written and very informative. You can get one directly from Wilson. Or you can read one for free at many Wilson dealer showrooms.

FWIW, John is now a high level employee at dCS. He is a very nice guy and, in my view, a good writer.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The fact that they have their custom drivers made by third-party companies is nothing wrong by itself. Many manufacturers do it that way. I think it's better to be more focused on the final result rather than the specific parts used.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is that how you get offered a WAMM?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
They’re already building their own caps. They’ve already set up their in-house paint shop. They’re already designing and final building their drivers. There is more Wilson sweat on Wilson products than is customary in the speaker industry.

If you want a souvenir of the WAMM Master Chronosonic, get your order in for the Sasha DAW before it’s too late. The DAW midrange and tweeter come from the WAMM Master Chronosonic. The new Sasha V midrange and tweeter are out of the Chronosonic XVX.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
They’re already building their own caps. They’ve already set up their in-house paint shop. They’re already designing and final building their drivers. There is more Wilson sweat on Wilson products than is customary in the speaker industry.

If you want a souvenir of the WAMM Master Chronosonic, get your order in for the Sasha DAW before it’s too late. The DAW midrange and tweeter come from the WAMM Master Chronosonic. The new Sasha V midrange and tweeter are out of the Chronosonic XVX.
And finally, the experience and knowledge. Which is priceless. Skilled craftsmen and engineers are worth their weight in gold.

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023

I'm not sure of that

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
What drivers do they use ? Which company makes them ?
Why don't they use exotic materials like Beryllium or diamond ?
At one point they did use metal tweeters. My Sophia II’s had inverted dome tweeters that I think were titanium. The original Sasha WP also had an inverted dome metal tweeter but my Sasha ll‘s have a soft dome tweeter. Maybe they just use the materials that currently sound best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing