What tube amps do most realistic bass?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, glad you're sticking to the purely objective line. It provides me a steady reference point in a world gone mad LOL.
If you really feel two amps that can spec-wise drive a spkr equally well, will sound the same, then you need to hear your Liszts first w/yr Mola Mola SS and then w/Graeme's Tron 211s.
Please do so, and tell me they sound the same.
If you do indeed manage this, and maintain yr claim, I'm afraid you'll have to increase yr meds :eek:.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Davey, heartily agree. My Nat SE2SEs SETs at 60W/ch provide much more grip in my Zus at the bottom end than my previous 25 W/ch Audion Black Shadows. It's not primarily the higher power rating, more the overbuilt twin transformers per mono, the sound has such authority, but at no expense to delicacy, harmonics and tone. The Audions' transformers seriously pale in comparison.

in my experience with Audion, I find the bass very quick but not quite enough impact for me. I have only found 1 SET that gave me satisfactory bass- Sophia Electric's 845 amp. But it had to go back for other reasons. One reason I have gravitated back to push pull amplification is bass quality (SS, for now) - prefer p/p "snap."

KR Audio is probably what I should demo - I'm pretty sure its the best of both worlds.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Keith, glad you're sticking to the purely objective line. It provides me a steady reference point in a world gone mad LOL.
If you really feel two amps that can spec-wise drive a spkr equally well, will sound the same, then you need to hear your Liszts first w/yr Mola Mola SS and then w/Graeme's Tron 211s.
Please do so, and tell me they sound the same.
If you do indeed manage this, and maintain yr claim, I'm afraid you'll have to increase yr meds :eek:.
It isn't do with the sound of the amps, what is important is that the amplifier is capable of delivering enough current, when the loudspeakers impedance dips, low impedance is more difficult for amplifiers, you can check on any Stereophile review for a loudspeakers impedance /frequency curve.
The flatter the curve the easier it is to drive, and perhaps more suitable for valve amps.
Keith.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have some 80 Watt 211 based monoblocks that I run into my Apogee Duettas.

The bass is outstanding. Articulation, speed, slam - you name it - it is there. Even at relatively high volumes.

I know you don't believe me. Marc will get to witness it, hopefully.

The quality of the bass using these 'blocks has been remarked upon by many people, not just me.

EDIT: I rate the bass as appreciably better than virtually all high power SS amps I have tried - including some expensive ones.

Go figure. I am as confused as you are,

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have some 80 Watt 211 based monoblocks that I run into my Apogee Duettas.

The bass is outstanding. Articulation, speed, slam - you name it - it is there. Even at relatively high volumes.

The quality of the bass using these 'blocks has been remarked upon by many people, not just me.

EDIT: I rate the bass as appreciably better than virtually all high power SS amps I have tried - including some expensive ones.

Go figure. I am as confused as you are,

I have heard these on Justin's apogees, they are fantastic. I also like the way the air tight 300b controlled the trios, and these 80w airtight were awesome with apogees

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
They are Austria Analogue 211 PSE monos. Not Air Tight. For the record:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They are Austria Analogue 211 PSE monos. Not Air Tight. For the record:)
Oh. So what happened to your air tight. The 80w one? We're those the one you sold? I always get confused

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Audiopax does great bass, from the 18W Model 88s through the 100W Maggiore. We currenty have the latter hooked up to YG Carmel 2s, and the bass is amazing.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
The best bass in tube amps has monoblocks Amplifon SET140, version with V-Cap capacitors. Bas is like from best SS amps.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Have a listen to some audionote amps, they do bass very well

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I have used a fair amount of tube amps that had decent to good bass.

VAC Renaissance 140 has the most realistic bass I have heard.
Carver 305 tube amp has powerful bass, and I actually considered buying a pair for the subs on the pipedreams
ASL Hurricane DT had pretty punchy bass too

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have used a fair amount of tube amps that had decent to good bass.

VAC Renaissance 140 has the most realistic bass I have heard.
Carver 305 tube amp has powerful bass, and I actually considered buying a pair for the subs on the pipedreams
ASL Hurricane DT had pretty punchy bass too

ASL Hurricanes may well be one of the best kept secret in the world of High Quality Audio Reproduction. Sane price and superior performance.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Only issue with the ASL Hurricanes is that to make them really do their best, you need to modify them pretty extensively. I modified mine to be 0 feedback and did a star grounding. I should not have sold them. Another mod to keep the tubes biased would probably be advisable because mine always had the issue that the bias would be so far off I'd think they were trying to return to China! Aside from that, I'd call them one of the best amps I have heard/used.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Audiopax does great bass, from the 18W Model 88s through the 100W Maggiore. We currenty have the latter hooked up to YG Carmel 2s, and the bass is amazing.

Agree with Alexandre, Audiopax Maggiore 100 is great, than VTL and Absolare.

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Which Tube Amps For Bass?

"I have some 80 Watt 211 based monoblocks that I run into my Apogee Duettas.

Go figure. I am as confused as you are, "

user211 and I both use tube monos into Apogee Duettas with great results; including great bass as well. I think that strong transformers driving an overall stout power supply into an essentially consistent load are all big factors toward satisfying bass. [I use Tube Research Labs which have tube regulated power supplies and huge transformers...].

I was at a friend's house a few days ago who was using Pass Lab 60.8 monos into big (93db efficient) planars which were then being crossed over to some massive sub towers (5 x 12" dynamic drivers per side via huge servo controlled ss amps) and as I listened to the almost subterranean bass shake the room I was duly impressed with the sheer impact and extension. SS bass can sound like concert hall speakers at close range. My Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Led Zep will love it but I find my tube powered bass much more natural sounding...especially when reproducing un-amplified bass. It's that simple.

I will say the big VTL's and Manleys running at least 6550's/KT88's or preferably KT120's if they can? (or ideally KT150's which I use in my tube amps) can sound very satisfying and I agree you can't go wrong with Lamm. Just my two cents

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing