Soulution 511 Amplifier Impressions

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
I wanted to share my recent impressions of the Soulution 511 amplifier. I set it up with the Weiss Helios DAC connected directly to the Solution 511, driving a pair of new Magico S3 (2023) speakers. It sounded absolutely wonderful.

The Helios is exceptional and the 511 really let everything come through with superb transparency. Speed and detail equal to the best I have heard, with a tonally neutral presentation, outstanding control, and super smooth without a hint of anything dry or harsh. In fact, music sounded more natural and lush than compared to other amplifiers with very low levels of distortion. Bass was tight, accurate, and fast without sounding sharp or overemphasized. The midrange was beautiful and vocals realistic.

A couple of my test tracks consist of a live recording of a rock concert that starts with the audience cheering and clapping, and Anna Kendrick's Cups which has rhythmic clapping and solo vocals. With other amplifiers, the cheering and clapping on these tracks has always exhibited some variation in clarity and focus. But multiple playbacks with this setup did not—the cheers and claps were consistent, clear, crisp, and sounded real and correct. I was so incredibly pleased to hear this! Of course all the other music on my test playlist was also rendered beautifully.

:)

soulution-511-front-800.jpg soulution-511-side-800.jpg soulution-511-rear-800.jpg

Reactions: GuyB

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Interesting
I ran a pair of 511's in mono on Magico MProjects and it wasn't good. Basically the exact opposite of what u described.
Thin, hard, not very dynamic. Couldn't wait to move on
They were gone in a few months

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
I can certainly understand someone preferring a different sound. I personally wouldn't characterize Soulution as sounding thin, hard, or lacking dynamics—at least based on my reference points. I also have my preferences when it comes to music playback. But I know more than a few people who like a different type of sound paired with Magico and would definitely stick with their existing amps (e.g. Gryphon, D'Agostino, Pass).

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I can certainly understand someone preferring a different sound. I personally wouldn't characterize Soulution as sounding thin, hard, or lacking dynamics—at least based on my reference points. I also have my preferences when it comes to music playback. But I know more than a few people who like a different type of sound paired with Magico and would definitely stick with their existing amps (e.g. Gryphon, D'Agostino, Pass).
How would you compare the 511 to the JMF's stereo unit?

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
How would you compare the 511 to the JMF's stereo unit?
I haven't had a chance to compare the Soulution 511 next to the JMF Audio HQS 7001 monoblocks yet. I'll post my thoughts on the HQS 7001 when I get around to it.

Reactions: Stef

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I haven't had a chance to compare the Soulution 511 next to the JMF Audio HQS 7001 monoblocks yet. I'll post my thoughts on the HQS 7001 when I get around to it.
The JMF 6002 stereo unit would more comparable with the 511 stereo, and most interesting as well, to me at least. Would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

Reactions: Stef

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing