What are the most popular speakers/ speaker brands on WBF?

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I would expect the most popular brands to be headed by Wilson, then maybe Magico.

I think Wilson has the most fanboys.

Reactions: AudioGod

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
... and fangirls. My wife chose Wilson. She saw them in the store window display. She liked the colour.

So we booked in for a demo 12:00 on a Saturday and lunch at 13:00 at a favourite restaurant opposite. We were early for lunch.

That's one of the best reasons I have read for selecting Wilsons or any speaker.

Which was the restaurant?

Reactions: AudioGod and ssfas

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
... and fangirls. My wife chose Wilson. She saw them in the store window display. She liked the colour.

So we booked in for a demo 12:00 on a Saturday and lunch at 13:00 at a favourite restaurant opposite. We were early for lunch.
If I remember it right, In The Wilson Way book David’s wife (Sheryl Lee (sp?)) tells a story where one of her friends wants to buy some speakers for her audiophile husband.

Sheryl Lee invites her over to listen to the WAMs while they chat about her preferences.

They walk into the listening room and without hearing a note, the friend is overwhelmed by the beauty of the WAMs and decides that’s what she wants.

The Wilson custom colors can add $10k to the cost, but at that level (mid to upper six figures), what’s another 1 or 2 in the second digit from the left?

Wilson certainly has lovers and haters. Until I heard a decent demo, I was a Wilson agnostic. I was never a hater … but now, after demos good enough to show them off, I’m a very happy owner. YMMV

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I truly don't understand the lover versus hater polarization when applied to something like a high-end audio loudspeaker. Is "hater" used merely as hyperbole and internet exaggeration borrowed from polarization in other aspects of life outside of audio?

I totally get "loving" a speaker. I'm sure -- I would hope -- we all love our own speakers, which is why we selected them. But I don't "hate" loudspeakers I didn't select; I just don't care for them. They are not my cup of tea. I am not interested in them. I don't care to spend time with them.

The intensity of my interest, or more accurately, disinterest, in speakers I don't care for certainly does not rise to a level of emotional intensity which could be described accurately as "hate." How can a mild emotion like disinterest or apathy about a hobby product be amplified into, or reasonably be described as, "hate"?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I truly don't understand the lover versus hater polarization when applied to something like a high-end audio loudspeaker. Is "hater" used merely as hyperbole and internet exaggeration borrowed from polarization in other aspects of life outside of audio?

I totally get "loving" a speaker. I'm sure -- I would hope -- we all love our own speakers, which is why we selected them. But I don't "hate" loudspeakers I didn't select; I just don't care for them. They are not my cup of tea. I am not interested in them. I don't care to spend time with them.

The intensity of my interest, or more accurately, disinterest, in speakers I don't care for certainly does not rise to a level of emotional intensity which could be described accurately as "hate." How can a mild emotion like disinterest or apathy about a hobby product be amplified into, or reasonably be described as, "hate"?

I have to say that my wife hates the look of a lot of high end speakers - she hates Wilsons the most (calls them Daleks).

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Look at contributors sigs. You'll start to see we all like what we like. There's a bit of Chevy vs Ford, ahem, Ford vs Chevy crap that happens here, but it usually flames out pretty quick. As long as the speakers cost 6 figures they get interest here.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
If I remember it right, In The Wilson Way book David’s wife (Sheryl Lee (sp?)) tells a story where one of her friends wants to buy some speakers for her audiophile husband.

Sheryl Lee invites her over to listen to the WAMs while they chat about her preferences.

They walk into the listening room and without hearing a note, the friend is overwhelmed by the beauty of the WAMs and decides that’s what she wants.

The Wilson custom colors can add $10k to the cost, but at that level (mid to upper six figures), what’s another 1 or 2 in the second digit from the left?

Wilson certainly has lovers and haters. Until I heard a decent demo, I was a Wilson agnostic. I was never a hater … but now, after demos good enough to show them off, I’m a very happy owner. YMMV
I totally understand loving the appearance of the original WAMM. It was a beautiful assemblage and totally unique. But sometime after that Wilson abandoned wood veneers and went to automotive paint, a move I just don’t understand. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

For my tastes, and just speaking of visual aesthetics, I much prefer my current speakers where the front is solid Birds Eye maple.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

I went to a demo once, the system was well over $500,000 and the speakers about $120,000, so I may have had expectations of enjoying it. I found the speakers so overbearing I left after 10 minutes. "Hate" is an emotional description that is a short-cut to actually trying explain what I didn't like. But then it's not necessary to get poetic describing the sensation of being hit repeatedly on the head with a mallet.
The Wilson custom colors can add $10k
Not if the colour is exactly the one the wife wanted, or should I say, was within the limited range of options she might consider.

When at the audio dealer he showed my wife the usual candidates he offers to clients with 'difficult' wives - Franco Serblin, Sonus Faber etc. - all that Italian design stuff. She "hated" all of them. So it was the Titanium Grey Wilson.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have to say that my wife hates the look of a lot of high end speakers - she hates Wilsons the most (calls them Daleks).
Fair enough! :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Look at contributors sigs. You'll start to see we all like what we like. There's a bit of Chevy vs Ford, ahem, Ford vs Chevy crap that happens here, but it usually flames out pretty quick. As long as the speakers cost 6 figures they get interest here.
I often look at posters' equipment lists in signatures. They tell me a lot.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I truly don't understand the lover versus hater polarization when applied to something like a high-end audio loudspeaker. Is "hater" used merely as hyperbole and internet exaggeration borrowed from polarization in other aspects of life outside of audio? (...)

Yes, fortunately these feelings seem to be restricted to a few audio forums (not most of them) and a few sellers of competing brands. In real world the aficionados I know do not show such behavior.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In real world the aficionados I know do not show such behavior.

I agree generally. (Kedar may be an exception. I think he genuinely "hates" Wilson.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing