Are B&W and Focal "low end " around here ?

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
They're the most popular speaker brands in the world but I barely see them mentioned around here .
Why is that ?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
You don’t see much here about Martin Logan or Revel or many other brands either.

A lot of speakers discussed here are harder to audition than super popular brands. Maybe discussion isn’t necessary.

Reactions: AudioGod

DDgtt

May 1, 2023
B&W is certainly one of the most popular speakers in audio. The reason they don't get mentioned is that many audiophiles find them lacking in some of the next level attributes of transparency and detail. A number of folks have said the next tier up from B&W are the Vivid Audio loudspeakers. Vivid has taken the technologies introduced at B&W and have refined them and added to them to a degree that is special and a real step forward. This is attributed to the brilliant engineering abilities of Laurence Dickie.

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
You don’t see much here about Martin Logan or Revel or many other brands either.

A lot of speakers discussed here are harder to audition than super popular brands. Maybe discussion isn’t necessary.
I just purchased Performa3 F208's. They were veiled sounding. I left the bass crossover alone, but bypassed the tweeter cap with a Duelund JDM cap, and the 2 midrange caps with VHAudio's ODAM caps. I probably went overboard, but I also bypassed the Electrolytic capacitors. I didn't diagram the circuit, and the electrolytic caps are not likely in the audio path, so I am not suggesting that that mattered. Anyway, aside from voiding the warranty, it got me to being there status. Nothing is burned in yet, but they are now pretty decent sounding speakers. I do hope depth of imaging improves, but they are pretty good sounding now. The immediacy I love is there now. I may draw out the circuit and replace resistors in the signal path with Path Audio resistors if the imaging doesn't improve. I hesitate to replace the coils due to issues with the size of the replacements. One other point. I use Goop, it's a form of glue, to ensure the components securely remain in place

Attachments

• 20230918_154211.jpg
    20230918_154211.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230918_154128.jpg
    20230918_154128.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing