Who are the most popular hi end speaker brands?

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023
I mostly read about Wilson Audio around here .
1. Why do you think they're more popular than others ?
2. What other brands are common around here?
Thanks.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I mostly read about Wilson Audio around here .
1. Why do you think they're more popular than others ?
2. What other brands are common around here?
Thanks.
Magico are currently being spoken about for no more valid reason than Wilson was a few years ago. Both are doubtless great speakers, but probably neither deserves the ravings they've received, mainly from those trying to plug these brands, or those who've fallen for them - rightly or wrongly.

Choice of speaker, or more importantly speaker TYPE, is probably the most important factor in getting a system that suits the peculiarities of the listening room and this is far more important than the label on the front. Anyone agree? Anyone disagree? ;)

Reactions: Audiophile666

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023
Magico are currently being spoken about for no more valid reason than Wilson was a few years ago. Both are doubtless great speakers, but probably neither deserves the ravings they've received, mainly from those trying to plug these brands, or those who've fallen for them - rightly or wrongly.

Choice of speaker, or more importantly speaker TYPE, is probably the most important factor in getting a system that suits the peculiarities of the listening room and this is far more important than the label on the front. Anyone agree? Anyone disagree? ;)
I tend to like Magico more
They use a Klippel machine for the design and make the driver in house .

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I have YG Sonja XV2 speakers. I previously owned Wilson (Alexandria X2S2 and XLF). I have heard many Magico speakers including the M). Obviously my favorite sound is YG but the Wilsons were great, too. Before that I owned B&W 802D speakers. I currently also own Paradigm speakers. Both B&W and Paradigm are far more popular than YG Acoustics, Wilson Audio or Magico. Depends on what you call high end.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Have to categorize by type.
Box speakers: Wilson, Magico, YG, Goebel, Vivid, Tidal, Sanus Faber, others
Panel Speakers: Martin Logan, Clarisys, Alsyvox, Magnapan, others
Horns: Avantgarde, Horns Universum, see ked for a complete list

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I tend to like Magico more
They use a Klippel machine for the design and make the driver in house .

We talked about this. The driver is not made in house.

Reactions: mtemur

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Notice the language, “develop their own drivers”. Why doesn’t it say “make their own drivers”?

I saw all of the factory in Hayward. Why was there no driver making production line?

It’s common in high end audio to have the drivers made overseas (Or is that over SEAS?). What’s important is how good the design in. Magico or Wilson, the driver design is truly excellent.

Audiophile666

Jul 10, 2023
Notice the language, “develop their own drivers”. Why doesn’t it say “make their own drivers”?

I saw all of the factory in Hayward. Why was there no driver making production line?

It’s common in high end audio to have the drivers made overseas (Or is that over SEAS?). What’s important is how good the design in. Magico or Wilson, the driver design is truly excellent.
Magico uses much more exotic, and hi end materials compared to Wilson
So I think they have the edge .
Also the cabinets are amazing , but obviously they also cost a lot

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I forgot Stenheim

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Geez. Where do drivers come from?

Only a few places if any volume is being done. This is simple.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Where do there baskets come from?

Who makes the cones?

Who makes the surrounds and spiders ?

Who makes the terminal strips?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:

Porsche

Apr 22, 2023

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
+1 for Muller

I mainly was pointing out how rare it is for true in house manufacturing ...no matter what company
From a business point of view to develop self is a catastrophe (machine costs). when there is a company that can draw on 100 years of experience. The parts for Klangfilm loudspeakers were already being manufactured back then.

• Love
Reactions: Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing