Alsyvox vs. Clarisys - What are the Sonic Differences? Anyone Understand Design Differences?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Like you, I preferred Alsyvox in Munich and I also think exactly this one is the right thread to discuss differences between the two brands ;)
Chris I would wholeheartedly advise you to sit in the car and drive to Basel to hear Auditorium in proper setting once they are back from the review. Just my two cents..

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Chris I would wholeheartedly advise you to sit in the car and drive to Basel to hear Auditorium in proper setting once they are back from the review. Just my two cents..

Sounds like a good idea :cool:

Maybe combine that with a boys-out-get-together with you and the ZH Boys? ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

Just a jump in here… I’m curious…
Would you ever consider to change your Pendragons to either Alsyvox or Clarisys ?

/Jk
Who in this hobby ever thinks a change is impossible ever to consider?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Sounds like a good idea :cool:

Maybe combine that with a boys-out-get-together with you and the ZH Boys? ;)
Why not :) ...would love that!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Ron,

Please see post #28. I briefly explained why I chose Clarisys Auditoriums. I could go more in-depth but then the open can of worms starts.
Some prefer something different ( Alsyvox ) which is totally fine, my results are totally different.
BTW, I just went totally active with the CS Port ACN400, OH my Lord did this take the speakers / system to another level!
Hi Gary,

What amps are you using with ACN400? Can you explain just a little more details how ACN400 improves over passive crossover. Thanks

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Like you, I preferred Alsyvox in Munich and I also think exactly this one is the right thread to discuss differences between the two brands ;)
I am in that camp too. It was no contest at all. But I concede that it might be caused also by the upstream devices.

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am in that camp too. It was no contest at all. But I concede that it might be caused also by the upstream devices.
Are you able to be specific as to why?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The sound was technical and unmusical, the music didn't grip me, no thrill, boring :cool:
Very interesting, thank you.

I have heard nothing technical and nothing unmusical from either Alsyvox or Clarisys.

Do you remember what were the associated components?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Very interesting, thank you.

I have heard nothing technical and nothing unmusical from either Alsyvox or Clarisys.

Do you remember what were the associated components?
As I mentioned there might be things responsible outside of Clarisys.
AFAIK, associated components were Soulution.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Hi Gary,

What amps are you using with ACN400? Can you explain just a little more details how ACN400 improves over passive crossover. Thanks
I am using the 2- Block SE mono blocks on the Bass panels, 4- Goldmund 600 mono blocks on the Mid range drivers & Tweeters. All solid state.
As good as the Clarisys are with just a pair of mono block amps ( they were fantastic) the CS ACN400 active crossover improves the over all musicality of the speaker / system. The soundstage is even larger, ( hard to believe ) instrument's are more defined & placed in the soundstage, side to side, back to front. The speakers just are even more 3d. Really, kind of unbelievable the sound I'm getting out of the system, very enjoyable, never fatiguing. Vocals, Instruments sound so alive, piano, sax, guitar sound like it is in the room, natural!

When I went & listened to the Alsyvox , I never had a sense of a very musical, natural, dynamic speaker.
I know we all hear different & electronics & speaker setup play a major roll in all of this. Maybe under different setup the Alsyvox would sound better than when I heard them. The same could go to the gents that didn't care for the Clarisys when they heard them!
If they are basing their comments about Clarisys on show conditions... well you know where that is going!
If you are curious about these speakers , you need to go listen for yourself in a good room & electronics, They are great!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I am a long time fan of Apogees and owned them with Krell amplification in the 80's. The availability of new, more modern ribbon designs is great for the industry and audiophiles alike. I listened to the Alsyvox at The Show in CA two years ago with Vitus electronics and was quite impressed. I have not listened to the Clarisys yet, but hope to soon at a friends place in LA. I am also keen to hear the Popori electrostatics from Hungary as well.
I noticed over the weekend a pre-owned set of Clarisys Auditorium for sale in the WBF classifieds from someone in the business I know. Based on the comments in the thread I was tempted to buy them. Sadly WAF and my current audio commitments will keep me from owning panels for the foreseeable: future-(

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In contrast to all other manufacturers, I even measure the impedance response over frequency at the shows and show it to people! I am using a calibrated Clio Pocket from Audiomatica. We do run them on Jadis Defy 7, CAT JL7 and VAC 170iq, Aries Cerat, VAC (various models)

So it would be interesting if you would post the results here as well , incl a sensitivity number .

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Hey guys, interesting comments which some of them are based on the listening to the both speakers in the audio shows. :confused: They are so oposite in their views on Alsyvox and Clarisys that it must be so confusing to the people who never heard of either one. I do not wish to be on either side till I will not hear myself Studio plus in my studio next week(hopefully). Unfortunately I will not be able to say how Alsyvox sounds compare to Clarisys because I will not here them in the same setup. Maybe later this year in Munich i can decide whis setup, which room I like better, perhaps? ;) I will have a little advantage of knowing how Clarisys sound in my studio. I am sure I will not critisize either . But what I will be able to say is what I like better in the show! More exact ,what setup and what room I like better !!!! Because we always value the quality of the whole setup!!!!!!!
I will not bash Alsyvox because I own Clarisys, I do not work this way.
I do not understand people who are so critical to Clarisys solely based on the audioshow presentation. :rolleyes: In my opinion there must be some other interest to do so, do not ask me what and why.
Sorry, to me Clarisys fans in this discussion behave better way, their opinions sound just more peaceful and reasonable then those who are on the oposite side of the fence. Competition is very tough sometimes, I guess. Either way, the competition is healthy and good for customers. My opinion is that both speakers are awesome, and it is up to people what they like better, if they decide based on the ratios price/performance/design/built quality/ local availability/dealer profesionality and their busines tactics etc. Just my few cents to this discussion.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I've now heard both in well set-up rooms - Clarisys at Florian's and Alsyvox at Bob's. The challenge is that those rooms are very different and the partnering equipment, although both solid-state throughout, also differ. As such, I'm inclined not to draw rigid conclusions but have a few loose thoughts.

The first is that they have more in common than they differ - not a revelation given the design. The speed is instantly noticeable, as is the natural flow of the music in the way it is presented (as opposed to being driven at you as is often the case with cones). Box colouration obviously doesn't exist, and bass is deep and tuneful, although with less impact than a cone.

When it comes to differences, I would say that the Alsyvox has a more "relaxed" sound. To some this may come across as more refined but I'm not sure this is the right way to view it - on an "edgy" system, for sure the Aslyvox will come across as more refined, but on a more laid-back system then the Clarisys would sound more alive. As is always the case, another example of where system matching is key.

The other difference is in aesthetics. To what extent this influences will differ from person to person, but I know that in my household Alsyvox would be an easier sell than the Clarisys.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I have heard Basically the same from a few others who have heard and seen them both..!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing