What are the 10 must-have classical recordings?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
OK, I found the download from Pono: https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCP...&artistId=of:cf98bbdfc2434844b02e63289894cd90

It is just $10!

Nice. Never used pono before. I presume it is full resolution?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Oh, that was already in my Pono cart from yesterday!!!

At least I think it is. The last track is 10 minutes shorter! https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCP...f:c056736c3a194c7fa5d4ea34554020ab&type=Album

And Ponomusic has zero metdata to see anything other than track list. Boo :(

Are you sure? Both the CD and Pono download clock the last track - the second movement of Tabula Rasa, "Silentium" - at 16:50...?

Tasmin Little's EMI/Warners is marginally shorter at 16:21.

Edit: Oh, you mean the file you downloaded is 10 minutes shorter...? Ugh. What a bummer. Another thumbs up for physical media, then...

Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Amirm,
If you want good and cheap you have to buy twice:)
The release from Pono is not JVC xrcd, sorry.
I bought mine with elusivedisc.com, pls check there, at amazon it is out of stock.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amirm,
If you want good and cheap you have to buy twice:)
The release from Pono is not JVC xrcd, sorry.
I bought mine with elusivedisc.com, pls check there, at amazon it is out of stock.
I noticed that but could not find any provenance on the XRCD. Did they master at higher resolution?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You guys are hopeless. Can we have a report on how Amirm actually likes the MUSIC rather than if he managed to track down a 16 bit or 24 bit version :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In most classical music, where there have been many performances of a given piece recorded, it comes down to one's priorities. If recording quality is the top priority, one may have to be prepared to listen to a well-recorded, high-resolution version of the piece played by a decidedly inferior artist. If one values performance, the desired version may exhibit dated recording quality.

IMO, "learning" classical music is a life-long pursuit. I would recommend that a beginner purchase two versions of a famous piece: one known for performance virtues and another known for recording quality. Then, compare the two versions and attempt to understand why the famed performance has earned those accolades. (Without a background in playing/reading music, this may take a bit longer). It's like jamming to Jimi Hendrix on your car radio or listening to a well-recorded garage-band imitator play Purple Haze, as an exaggerated comparison.

Be prepared to find balance in your priorities.

Lee

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You guys are hopeless. Can we have a report on how Amirm actually likes the MUSIC rather than if he managed to track down a 16 bit or 24 bit version :)
You are right, sorry Amir. Let' s wait until he digests all this music, it is probably too much at once.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You are right, sorry Amir. Let' s wait until he digests all this music, it is probably too much at once.
It is fine guys :). It has been like taking a drink from firehose :). But I like to have more info than not. I am going to go to my listening room and sample more of what I have bought. So far the favorites are Bach and Pärt. Will report back on what else rises to the top.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It is fine guys :). It has been like taking a drink from firehose :). But I like to have more info than not. I am going to go to my listening room and sample more of what I have bought. So far the favorites are Bach and Pärt. Will report back on what else rises to the top.

If you like Part, I am 99% sure you will love this track from the Trondheim Solistene album "Divertimenti" on 2L Nordic Sound. "Carmina" by Bjorklund.

It is the most profoundly melancholic Nordic music known to man. You can buy the track separately in high rez on the 2L website. Recording quality is absolutely top notch to boot.

You can hear a sample here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018T38R4/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk8

Others may want to check it out as well.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In NO way was I suggesting that we stop recommending music. After 35+ years of concert going and collecting classical music, I've learned a great deal from everyone's selections here! And gotten a bit poorer! I hoped to provide some clarity to a process that carries a maximum effective uptake rate. I also hope to stimulate discussion about WHAT qualities define a legendary performance, as opposed to just another recording of an old warhorse. Understanding why certain recordings have achieved vaunted status is the key to a deeper understanding of the art (and far greater personal satisfaction from the experience) than merely shopping off a list. I sincerely hope that these comments ignite a true passion for the classics, and are meant to supplement the acquisition of the great recommendations here.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The 2L website has long offered free downloads in the "test bench" section, ranging from 24/96 stereo to DXD and also in DSD. There are some choices also offered in multichannel.

Lee

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The 2L website has long offered free downloads in the "test bench" section, ranging from 24/96 stereo to DXD and also in DSD. There are some choices also offered in multichannel.

Lee

You would have to pay for the track I am recommending (I have the blu ray music rip but bought the download separately myself). Worth every penny.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you like Part, I am 99% sure you will love this track from the Trondheim Solistene album "Divertimenti" on 2L Nordic Sound. "Carmina" by Bjorklund.

It is the most profoundly melancholic Nordic music known to man. You can buy the track separately in high rez on the 2L website. Recording quality is absolutely top notch to boot.

You can hear a sample here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018T38R4/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk8

Others may want to check it out as well.

And you are 100% right! I have bought a reference recording album from l2 with a mozart performance by Trondheim Solistene. Will purchase the album you mention for sure.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
And you are 100% right! I have bought a reference recording album from l2 with a mozart performance by Trondheim Solistene. Will purchase the album you mention for sure.

It's a good album overall, but the track I referenced stands out to me as the ultimate expression of Nordic melancholy in music....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Stravinsky: Petroushka/Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances - Jansons, Concertgebouw
2 orchestral masterpieces from the first part of the 20th Century on the excellent RCO Live label.

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 15 - Haitink, Concertgebouw
Last half of 20th Century, and one of my favorites by this great composer. A recording and equipment reviewer friend agrees this is exemplary orchestral sound. He took it to RMAF for equipment listening. RCO Live.

So I just finished listening to these two which I purchased from Prostudiomasters, one at 96 Khz and the other, 88 Khz: http://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?q=Stravinsky:+Petrushka+-+Rachmaninoff:+Symphonic+Dances+#x

Oh man. I don't think I have ever heard live recordings this perfect! Stunning resolution and dynamics. Easily made it to my "audiophile" playlists! There is just a bit of orchestra shuffling and such between tracks which adds some realism to the sound. Clearly reference quality material as Fitzcarraldo correctly mentions.

On the composition I can't get into it like I can with Bach where it comes with ease and I can easily follow the flow of music. Fortunately it crosses the barrier to the side where I find the music enjoyable even though I have a hard time comprehending it. It is like hearing foreign language that you don't yet understand but enjoy listening to it nevertheless. This is the kind of work that I think I will learn to like more as I listen to it more. The superb fidelity means that I will listen to it in the future.

Highly recommended and much thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing