What are the 10 must-have classical recordings?

The Concierto de Aranjuez is one of my personal favourites.
I have the early Red Seal RCA pressing with Julian Bream and the Monteverdi Orchestra with John Eliot Gardiner.
I also very much enjoy the Woods So Wild with Julian Bream again on RCA Red Seal.
There may be more modern recordings but both the above are very good
Ah my question was answered. Is this what we are talking about? http://www.discogs.com/Julian-Bream...to-De-AranjuezGuitar-Concerto/release/6124075

R-6124075-1411661172-4368.jpeg.jpg

Not sure if this is the same video

Any recommendations for digital version?

Amir I am sure will be looking for digital versions but the Bream Concierto above and the Woods So Wild are both available on vinyl from Amazon

Amir I am sure will be looking for digital versions but the Bream Concierto above and the Woods So Wild are both available on vinyl from Amazon

Yeh it is tempting to dust off my turntable and buy some LPs for it. Oh wait, no way. :D

I must say hunting down classical music is so hard. Every search returns a bunch of hits making finding the specific performance hard. And what is there is often priced as collectibles.

I wish I knew what downloads from hdtracks and prostudiomasters were good and start from that.

Pieter Wispelwey
2nd recording of the Bach cello suites is a must have;

best interpretation and also very well engineered.

bachvcwis.jpg

I have it on CD, still looking for a hi res download version.

The 10 Must-Have Classical Recordings (for me, with apologies to Kefas above for his choice of Wispelwey):

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 - Berliner Philhamoniker/Fricsay (DG)
Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues - Tatiana Nikolaeva (Melodia)
J.S. Bach: Cello Suites - Mstislav Rostropovich (EMI/Warners)
Rachmaninov: Vespers - USSR Academic Russian Choir/Sveshnikov (Melodia)
Chopin: Nocturnes - Moravec (Nonesuch)
Messiaen: Complete Organ Works - Latry (DG)
Ligeti: A Capella Choral Works - LSO/Edwards (Sony)
Penderecki: Polish Requiem - NDR/Penderecki (DG)
Reich: Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich Ensemble (ECM)
Part: Tabula Rasa - Various (ECM)

Pieter Wispelwey
2nd recording of the Bach cello suites is a must have;

best interpretation and also very well engineered.

bachvcwis.jpg

I have it on CD, still looking for a hi res download version.
Love it!

Guys, what does it mean to like Bach more than Beethoven? Damnation forever in classical world???

The 10 Must-Have Classical Recordings (for me, with apologies to Kefas above for his choice of Wispelwey):

Part: Tabula Rasa - Various (ECM)

I overlooked this masterpiece. One of these recordings I have owned for around 30 years that I keep coming back to. Definitely on the top 100 albums I would bring to a desert island list. I have about 10 Part recordings, but this is the one to get.

Guys, what does it mean to like Bach more than Beethoven? Damnation forever in classical world???

It means there is order in your universe. I like Bach in the morning (when my mind is still "ordered"), and Beethoven late at night (when chaos reigns).

Yeh it is tempting to dust off my turntable and buy some LPs for it. Oh wait, no way. :D

I must say hunting down classical music is so hard. Every search returns a bunch of hits making finding the specific performance hard. And what is there is often priced as collectibles.

I wish I knew what downloads from hdtracks and prostudiomasters were good and start from that.

Thanks Amir.
Yes it is not always easy and the quality of downloads are not assured.
I have not heard the Ramiros recording so I can't really comment on it.
What I can say is that Bream was ( he injured a hand some years ago and it never completely recovered) in many people's view the supremo of the classical guitar and the lute. John Eliot Gardner is one of the great modern conductors and the Monteverdi Orchestra is in the same sort of league. The RCA recording is also very good so I would expect it to surpass the other recording.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing