What are the 10 must-have classical recordings?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I overlooked this masterpiece. One of these recordings I have owned for around 30 years that I keep coming back to. Definitely on the top 100 albums I would bring to a desert island list. I have about 10 Part recordings, but this is the one to get.

Actually, I was going to substitute the ECM for the Tasmin Little/Richard Studt/Robert Aldwinckle on EMI, which I also really love. I consider it the equal of the Kremer/Gridenko/Schnittke in many respects, but it's great to have both.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks 853. I must stay, I can really get into the melancholy mood of this music! is this the album we are talking about?

The link doesn't work for me (??), but yes, it's the 1965 recording with Klara Korkan and Konstantin Ognevoi.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Actually, I was going to substitute the ECM for the Tasmin Little/Richard Studt/Robert Aldwinckle on EMI, which I also really love. I consider it the equal of the Kremer/Gridenko/Schnittke in many respects, but it's great to have both.

Thanks. I'll have to pick up a copy of this recording that I was not familiar with.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks. I'll have to pick up a copy of this recording that I was not familiar with.

Hey edorr,

It's been re-released by Warners, though also available on EMI pre-buyout. Contains "Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten" and a great version of "Fratres" (of which the CD has been retitled). Available on Amazon, iTunes and Spotify, believe it or not.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hey edorr,

It's been re-released by Warners, though also available on EMI pre-buyout. Contains "Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten" and a great version of "Fratres" (of which the CD has been retitled). Available on Amazon, iTunes and Spotify, believe it or not.

Seems like it is not available on Amazon anymore. Any suggestions how I could get my hands on a full resolution 44/16 version?

http://www.amazon.com/Arvo-Part-Fra...coe+•+Richard+Studt+•+Bournemouth+Sinfonietta

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is this the same thing? http://www.amazon.com/Fratres-Arvo-Pärt/dp/B00006YX7L

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Seems like it is not available on Amazon anymore. Any suggestions how I could get my hands on a full resolution 44/16 version?

http://www.amazon.com/Arvo-Part-Fra...coe+•+Richard+Studt+•+Bournemouth+Sinfonietta

Sorry, edorr, I go straight through to the UK site, but have found this here below (a double CD with Brahms & Sibelius). Disc 2 is the complete re-release of the original EMI disc:

http://www.amazon.com/Tasmin-Little...qid=1446652207&sr=1-17&keywords=tasmin+little

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Nobody mentionned Peer Gynt of Edvard Grieg and Bolero of Maurice Ravel ??
My favourite Peer Gynt is performed by Bergen Orchestra conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud. Bolero is a must have in every classical selection IMO.
Being Polish Chopin plays directly in my soul, I can only mention Rubinstein and Zimmerman as two of my favourite pianists. One more thing- outstanding audiophile SQ - 2 discs sacd album from Stockfish " Nocturnes" by Gergely Boganyi, another must have.
If I may recommend one more outstanding recording it would be XRCD by JVC album of Rossini Overtures under Pierino Gamba , a young-genius conductor who was only 23 years old when album was recorded. Mastered by Alan Yoshida. Fire!

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nobody mentionned Peer Gynt of Edvard Grieg and Bolero of Maurice Ravel ?
My favorite Peer Gynt is performed by Bergen Orchestra conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud. Bolero is a must have in every classical selection IMO.

If this is what we are talking about, it is mighty fine music!

And if it includes this:

I get to finally learn the name of a track I have heard many times!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You see, it' s a real beauty:)
Get Rossini , you won' t be desappointed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing